Skip to main content
Topic: Steering rack install questions... (Read 1855 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering rack install questions...

I found that my steering rack is really leaking fluid from the tie rod boots....BAD.It started last week.The rack IS 20 years old,so,I'm not too peeved about it.Anyway.I just spent money a few weeks ago on an alignment,and after buying new front tires and wheels,can't afford another right now.What's the best way to replace it and get super close to where the tie rods should be?The rack is the "Ford design" with the Sport steering.I honestly didn't know if I have the "Ford design" or the TRW design,so,I bought the Ford design.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
when u take the tie rod ends off, count how many turns and writeit down
put them on the new rack the same number of turns
thats what i did on mine and its pretty  close
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #2
I have done that before.I'll do it again.So,what's the difference between the Ford and TRW racks?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
that
I cant help you with
i got my rack for free, its not original, and its modded so I have no clue.
i dont think there is much of a difference, maybe just the torsion rod inside no clue
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #4
Don't quote me on this.I think trw was 2 piece design.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #5
O.K.This rack has one piece bushings,and I'm not sure if the one on the car does or not.They should interchange shouldn't they?

Reply #6
that won't be a problem.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #7
As long as they'll swap,I don't care.My new one has to be way better than the factory 20 year old piece.LOL.

Reply #8
since they aligned it only a few weeks ago, and didn't notice the leaking, they might do a complimentary toe check for you... it couldn't hurt to ask

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #9
I'll check.You're right,it doesn't hurt to ask.

Reply #10
Vinn, you may want to actually take some mearsurements.  Just counting turns never works for me cause each turn comes out different.  x number of turns may be WAY different today than tomorrow.  Also, you can always just fall back on tire to tire measuring:

Put the front end up, spin each wheel and lightly hit it with a tire marker (tire spinning fast + steady marker hand equals a consistant/straight/equal mark all the way around).  Put the car back on the ground (I think, may want to google this) then use this line to measure tire to tire on the furthest back point you can.  Then the furthest front point.  Close to equal will atleast give you normal tire wear...  Also, make sure your steering wheel is centered and either eyeball or measure from a chassis center point to ensure your tires are straight
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #11
I'll do it.Lot's of measuring.I really,as I stated before,can't afford ANOTHER alignment right now,and still get other things done for the Sport.I'll take a few pics and keep everyone informed.I'll be at it tomorrow afternoon.

Reply #12
I did the counting threads thing and my alignment was so far off that when I tried to drive the car the front tires squealed constantly.

Reply #13
THAT has happened to me before,and I'm trying to avoid that,especially with my new tires.I'll measure from tie rod to tie rod before I remove the tires or lift the car.Plus a few more measurements.By the way,where have you been?

Reply #14
How much do they charge to do an alignment by you? I know a guy who will do an alignment on one of those fancy Hunter machienes that places like NTB and Firestone have for $65.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.