Skip to main content
Topic: gas mileage 3.8 V-6 guys step in (Read 3441 times) previous topic - next topic

gas mileage 3.8 V-6 guys step in

Reply #15
supposedly synthetic oil helps with the fuel mileage... less resistance or something....  i don't know... i can tell you that when driving 9 over about 75% on the interstate in my focus i was getting 26.4mpg.....  i decided to slow the 9mph and go the speed limit everywhere..... it went up to 29.4... wow, i guess speed really does kill... the mpg that is :)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #16
I used to average 22 in town.  26 hwy.

Now 351w.  14 in town  17 hwy.
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Reply #17
speed only kills the mpg if you don't have a trip computer whatnot. Get up to 100 or there abouts, and your doing 99+ mpg untill you hit the gas again.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #18
I get a whopping 0 MPG!

Heh,
I was supposed to have her on the streets this summer, But no....
Still getting put to the beck of the list. *sigh*
:mad: :mad: :mad:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #19
My 95 3.8 gets ~18 city 27 highway. Then again I'm not exactly a lead foot when I drive it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20
2005 GTP-COMPG-3.8 supercharged..gas for me isn't all that bad but i'd be insane to put in reg. I use mid at the lowest. im guess around 18-21.
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #21
174 mpg down a hill once.

Reply #22
I get about thirty on the highway. I averaged 29 on a 300 miles trip. But i got lost in the city for over an hour. I didn't think that was bad.

Reply #23
My gauge says 99.99mpg going down hills somtimes lol somtimes in the 60s..dont think I can believe it though.
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #24
I got around 33mph on a highway (55-65mph), and around 25mpg in the city.

I got this mileage when the temperature is around 70`F, less if coldest, and a bit better if is warmer.

My engine is carbed, 16inches tires (225/60r16) at 35psi, oil is full syntech (castrol) 10w30.

Regards,

Dom.

P.S.

My "new" 1991 firefly 3 cylinder got a good 50mpg mixed road/city :), This will be PERFECT to replace My Econoline in the winter :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1985 Thunderbird 3.8 carbed 57k original, summer car.
1980 Econoline inline 6 300ci 300k, winter/working.
1988 Base Bird finally crushed... RIP.

Dominique,  The Ridiculous, Fordus, crazyous!!!  :birdsmily:

Reply #25
I have a feeling some of you guys are getting some very inaccurate numbers.  If you are getting 40MPG's, then you need to go to Motor Trend magazine or some other publication and have them test it out.  I just don't believe it.

Reply #26
This is the sticker from ours----our mileage over the years is close to this.  I have not checked lately.

Reply #27
Quote from: Vantage08;226001
My gauge says 99.99mpg going down hills somtimes lol somtimes in the 60s..dont think I can believe it though.

It is correct because when you let off the gas it cuts fuel to the engine. No gas used x going miles = infinite mpg.... while youre off the gas at least.

Theres a difference between instant mpg and average mpg.

Oh by the way.... 25-30 mpg in my tbird aint that bad, but my last fillup in the festiva was 48.3 mpg. Thats combined city/highway. Im hoping for 50+ within the next few fills.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #28
When I was using my 88 cat for a daily driver, I averaged about 20 in stop and go traffic and 28 on the highway at a steady 62mph. Now it's sleeping in a barn and getting 0. :D

Reply #29
I have a feeling some of you guys are getting some very inaccurate numbers. If you are getting 40MPG's, then you need to go to Motor Trend magazine or some other publication and have them test it out. I just don't believe it.

Personally I don't trust the Tripminder figures to be accurate. There are too many variables constantly changing and it's just so easy to rely on that data. The only true way to figure out fuel economy is to drive from a full tank, fill up, and back-figure the mileage vs. the gallons it took to fill the tank. That's still the method I use on all my vehicles.

So when I drove home from Carlisle exactly 160 miles on one stretch of road, then stopped to fill the tank back up, and it only took 4.0 gallons...that is a 40 mpg figure that cannot be disputed. ;)

And yes, the tires were the correct height, and the speedometer was verified to be accurate.