Skip to main content
Topic: gas mileage 3.8 V-6 guys step in (Read 3445 times) previous topic - next topic

gas mileage 3.8 V-6 guys step in

Okay whats everyone with a 3.8 V-6 get for gas mileage? I've never owned a cougar or any car with a 3.8 before,i'm just curious

Reply #1
I will be curious as well.  Just filled up my first tank on my newly purchaed 87 TBird and will be keeping an eye on the mileage.  Previous owner said he got 30 MPG on the highway.  We shall see...
1987 Ford Thunderbird Base model 3.8l  Bone stock.  Trying to get it to perform the best it can.  Wanted:  Nice set of 4 bolt wheels.

Reply #2
I get between 30 and 40 mpg with my '84. It seems to be the exception to the rule though. ;)

Average V6 economy from reader reports: city 16-18, mixed 18-20, highway 20-24.
If you get above 24 mpg on the highway, consider yourself very lucky...

Reply #3
Quote from: EricCoolCats;224971
I get between 30 and 40 mpg with my '84. It seems to be the exception to the rule though. ;)

Average V6 economy from reader reports: city 16-18, mixed 18-20, highway 20-24.
If you get above 24 mpg on the highway, consider yourself very lucky...

heck yeah :D
better than my truck

Reply #4

any ideas as to why you're getting those kinds of numbers?  tune?  driving style?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
I average between 18-22. Most of my driving is in town with alot of stop/starts as I hunt down people. On the highway I get as good as 25.

Reply #6

It's all that slick wax you have on it... Cuts aero drag so it slices through the air almost effortlessly...

I more suspect your speedo is lying, 30 maybe, even close to 40, no way... You'd have be defying the laws of physics...Maybe if we cut off the top & quarters, threw away the fenders, hood, doors, trunk lid, most of the interior, exhaust system, pumped the tires to 60 psi etc, etc...

Reply #7
I got 27mpg average once before in my 3.8L bird. Now it gets 0mpg.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
any ideas as to why you're getting those kinds of numbers? tune? driving style?

OK, I do drive it like a grampa...and I'll admit it. :D

Honestly I think the new cylinder heads have everything to do with it though. I bought the car with blown head gaskets and so it wasn't even driveable until that was fixed. But in the process my mechanic and I discovered that the original heads themselves were both cracked. Ordered up a pair, slapped them on, did some in-town driving for about a month, and then I hit the road for Carlisle '07. On 3 fillups I returned 29, 40 and 31 mpg. Tire height is original, speedo head works fine, and I verified speed at several roadside radar stations. Plus my buddy was driving my Mountaineer that was towing the convertible, and we verified side-by-side as well (the Mounty is extremely accurate).

New heads have no build-up yet...no carbon on the valves to soak up the gasoline. It was cruising along effortlessly like a new car. I might never see those numbers again but it was sure nice to see that when I needed it...with a V6...and no overdrive... ;)

Reply #9
Quote from: Tbird232ci;225024
I got 27mpg average once before in my 3.8L bird. Now it gets 0mpg.

ditto, exactly!!

all highway miles, I got 27 mpg w/AOD, 3.08 gears.  1988 Tbird.  Now it gets zero sitting in my yard.
1987 TC

Reply #10
Best I got with my 3.8 was 37 mpg. A K&N will really help to squeeze out a few more miles per gallon! I wonder what I'm gonna get with my 331 once it's done...
1987 Tbird 5.0 swap, go fast mods coming soon....

Reply #11
I averaged 450 miles to a tank with stock sized tires and driving like an ass when ever there was an incline.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
i just spent the last 3+ weeks doing nothing but driving my tbird for 8 hours a day for a py parts delivery job and i was getting 26mpg driving dirt slow in the heart of the ghetto(its city driving incase you didnt know) around here with some pulse and glide from my c5. might have gotten better if i had washed and waxed my car during this period.
my tires are some beat 215/70r14s and i have relatively new air and fuel filters, i run 10w30 full syth oil as well though i could use an oil change and some sparkplugs. my windows were down most of the time as i dont have my a/c working currently(just in time for the humid temps we had lately:flame: )
 if my temp guage wasnt at half my mileage dropped down to 22mpg.
i didnt include the time i drove on my spare in my calculations which was about two days. i also never had more than half a tank of gas.
what im thinking of doing just for kicks is taking all my wheels off and throwing on four spares(since i rarely do highway driving anyway) and see what i wind up with after a week.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #13
I have been getting 26 Highway/18 town pretty consistently.  I refuse to use ethanol fuel as it drops my mileage down 3-4 mpgs.  87 pump gas works just fine for me.  I have the AOD transmission and the rear end from a v8.  My town mileage suffers because of the higher gear in the rear end, but I have managed to get 30-32 on the highway before.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #14
cool, thanks for all the replys, i should have the cougar together tomorrow and running :D