Skip to main content
Topic: HELP!.... Pics inside: (Read 1784 times) previous topic - next topic

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Got the pan off of the capris engine just now, and am not liking what I found..  here are the pics:

What the hell are these little broken round parts?...  :toilet:  there is no visible damage to anywheres in the motor that I can see..

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #1
your oil pump went boom!
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #2
from the outside, the oil pump, looks brand new...  (it is... WAS)

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #3
Appears the "junk" got into the pump and locked it up, twisting and breaking the drive shaft... I've seen similar looking lash caps(fit over the valve stem), but I don't think that's what those are...

The little flat "arced" pieces look almost like piston rings... OUCH!!!

Move each piston to TDC and inspect the cylinder walls...

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #4
What happened? Did it start making noises or did you just open it up for fun?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #5
im guessing with the pump shaft a twisler it prob had no oil pressure
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #6
No those aren't piston rings,to thick and not the right arc.
Looks like all parts of the oil pump.take the pump apart and see what she looks like.

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #7
this just makes me double sure that im buying the larger shaft
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #8
Quote from: daboss351;221333
this just makes me double sure that im buying the larger shaft

Why?  Like it is going to help you when your pump picks up something like mine did....
trust me I would rather be driving the car then tearing it apart for something to do... THIS is WHY I tore it arpart to begin with....  Was on the road course, downgeared in to 3rd, heard a "SNAP", lost oil pressure, pulled into the pits and shut it down.. (was just outside of the pits)

I tore the oil pump apart and all looks fine in there...  besides...  how would those big chunks get back into the pan if they grenaded inside the pump?

here is a better pic of the pieces that concern me...

the twisted pretzel of a shaft doesnt concern me, I need to know what thos things are....  The motor ran fine up to and even after the oil pump seized, so I have no clue what they are..

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #9
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;221317
What the hell are these little broken round parts?... 
...expensive... if you put them in the gas tank they will find their way home.

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #10
so the pump looks fine inside?? no sign of what locked it up??
theres only so much those parts could be
start ripping into it and find out...
my $300 beater ;)

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #11
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;221341
besides...  how would those big chunks get back into the pan if they grenaded inside the pump?

Good call, they can't unless the pump was busted...

Inspect the rockers, maybe those cap looking pieces are part pf the retainer that holds the roller pin...

Hey at this point it's as good a guess as any, and not hard to check...

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;221347
Good call, they can't unless the pump was busted...

Inspect the rockers, maybe those cap looking pieces are part pf the retainer that holds the roller pin...

Hey at this point it's as good a guess as any, and not hard to check...

thats what i was thinking something valve train related
wide peices valve springs?
round peices part of rockers?
my $300 beater ;)

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #13
That's what my oil pump shaft looked like in the first '88 Bird that I had...although I had no big debris in the pan...when I took the pump apart it looked fine...it's worth upgrading to an aftermarket oil pump shaft...how much more will it cost?...2...maybe 3 dollars more than a stock replacement.  Under 20 bucks for just about any aftermarket drive.  Otherwise you're just... :punchballs:

Good luck,
Don
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

HELP!.... Pics inside:

Reply #14
ok guys, I just went and talked to a buddy of mine that has been playing with these things for years, he gave me an idea where to look:

Only problem is, they are all there...  which makes me think, someone over reved it at somepoint, hit valve float and wrecked the heads, so they upgraded to these ported ones and didnt think to check the pan for any more debris....

Looks like I may be safe to throw it back together...