Skip to main content
Topic: i need router help (Read 1918 times) previous topic - next topic

i need router help

i have a linksys wireless router that im trying to enable the security feature, but i cant get my laptop to connect to it. i set a password, and when asked for the password, i enter it, then it trys to connect, then it times out.

both computers running xp pro

laptop has a netgear PCMCIA card
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

i need router help

Reply #1
what kind of linksys router?? is the card software installed in the labtop? How old is the labtop, and does it have wifi?
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

i need router help

Reply #2
BEFW11S4 router
yes
not sure
yes
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #3
i should also mention that its has been working for over a year with an open connection.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #4
so its been working with the same set up for a year.
Now your turning on the security, I'm guessing your password protecting it so no one can just tap off your internet?
Ok so you have the labtop connected to the internet when your activating the security?
heres the router
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C2%26cid%3D1115416826220&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper
I would open the user guide and read up
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

i need router help

Reply #5
did you try putting the MAC adress of the laptop in the router wireless security?
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

i need router help

Reply #6
well, you're a lot of help.

chooglin:

yes
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #7
Have you tried disabling the security to verify that you don't have another issue?
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i need router help

Reply #8
Quote from: t3skidoo;220520
Have you tried disabling the security to verify that you don't have another issue?

yes

if i turn security off. it connects fine. turn it back on, and it wont connect. i cant get my pda to connect either, but like the laptop, it will connect if security is disabled.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #9
is there an option to open it to specific IP addresses?
Wait u said PDA wont work either, ummmm How do you go about changing the security on the linksys? On my netgear, I am connected to the internet, and have a site that is my routers "homepage" so to speak, and change everything (as far as settings goes) while online. Have you tried connecting with it wired directly to the router, bypassing the wireless part?
my $300 beater ;)

i need router help

Reply #10
the same you do on just about any router. type in 192.68.1.xx in your browser. by default you can only access it with a computer wired to thr router. wireless access is disabled. do you have a wireless connection in your house?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #11
Okay, at least you know where the problem it is.  I won't be much help because I don't lock down my stuff like that, but doesn't the install disk have a utility to walk you through securing the network?

Like daboss351 said, you should be able to go to a setup page on the router that accepts MAC numbers and/or gives you an SN (varies based on the level of encryption) for the connecting machines.  When connecting to the network, the machine should be prompted for that number. 

(Sorry if you've already tried this and I'm being redundant.)
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i need router help

Reply #12
Quote from: t3skidoo;220525
Okay, at least you know where the problem it is.  I won't be much help because I don't lock down my stuff like that, but doesn't the install disk have a utility to walk you through securing the network?

Like daboss351 said, you should be able to go to a setup page on the router that accepts MAC numbers and/or gives you an SN (varies based on the level of encryption) for the connecting machines.  When connecting to the network, the machine should be prompted for that number. 

(Sorry if you've already tried this and I'm being redundant.)

i do have access to the utility. there's a page about MAC addresses, and its set to "allow all". i shouldnt have to add the MAC address of every device. im not securing the network that well. i just want it password protected.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #13
on my wireless security,I do not have security enabled.

I simply use my wireless MAC filter to keep others out of my wireless connection.

perhaps this will not be enough security for you,but it will not allow anyone on your wireless connection,unless there Mac adress is on the list.

hope this helps.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

i need router help

Reply #14
i am most likely not the best one to give advice on this, but you may need a network key not a password.  If that is the case then the key should be in the router dospoogeentation, or on a label affixed to the router.