Skip to main content
Topic: i need router help (Read 1917 times) previous topic - next topic

i need router help

Reply #15
Quote from: mjbtbrd;220529
i am most likely not the best one to give advice on this, but you may need a network key not a password.  If that is the case then the key should be in the router dospoogeentation, or on a label affixed to the router.

x2
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

i need router help

Reply #16
that's what im talking about. i set a network key in the router for other pc's to log onto it.

ill try filtering the MAC adresses.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

i need router help

Reply #17
ok, so i was able to connect after disabling security, and restricting all other MAC addresses. now, im constantly losing connection.

i know a little bit about computers, so it shouldnt be this hard to keep a secured connection with this router. i cant figure it out.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #18
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;220524
the same you do on just about any router. type in 192.68.1.xx in your browser. by default you can only access it with a computer wired to thr router. wireless access is disabled. do you have a wireless connection in your house?

yea i have wireless, and I can connect to it from any computer picking up the wireless signal. My desktop, and lab top are both wireless. I matched my netgear router to a net gear card in the desktop, and the labtop connects via WIFI. Ive never had this problem, I always have problems with the router being to secure. Wont let me play certain online games, or let PSP's connect to the internet anymore. I had to unblock ports and i still have problems with it. Try reseting it maybe then set up the security.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

i need router help

Reply #19
How long do you have the connection, before you lose it?
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

i need router help

Reply #20
I know you won't like it and it wont be much help... but throw that Linksys as far out in the road as you can and only wish for the largest truck in town to run over it.  After years of messing with cheap WAP's I gave up.  Now I only use Enterasys WAP's..  I usually do work for large companies who can afford it, cause they cost $500 without antenna's.  I have $2000 in a wireless bridge for work.... and in the year its been up and running I've had to power cycle one of the WAP's once.  Only because of stupid power surges.

Now if only I could afford one for home, I would throw the dlink I have now in front of the dumpster so that next thursday morning it would be destroyed.
One 88

i need router help

Reply #21
A couple of years ago, Linksys (Cisco?) started making some (bad) component changes in their routers, so not all Linksys routers are created equal. 

Not sure how you're testing your setup, are all the components in the same room/area, and (long shot) are there any other networks in the area that might be interfering with your setup?  You might need a physical component eg antenna. That said, I'm skeptical of this being anything other than a config issue. 

If you would, answer my questions, I'll contact my expert resource, get back to you.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i need router help

Reply #22
i have the laptop next to the pc and i show 1 other wireless network in my area.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #23
One more thing, clarify what you mean by "constantly losing connection".  Does it connect, drop, automatically reconnect etc.  Do you have to manually reconnect?  Do have to reboot or power cycle something?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i need router help

Reply #24
Have you tried "ignoring" or "removing" (or whatever it's called), from the list?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i need router help

Reply #25
I would go to the Linksys website and download the latest version of firmware for the router. Had a similar problem with an old router of mine and that fixed it.

i need router help

Reply #26
Quote from: t3skidoo;220564
Have you tried "ignoring" or "removing" (or whatever it's called), from the list?

what list?

connection ishiznit or miss. sometimes i have to reboot. sometimes i just have to go into the wireless network list(is that the list you're talking about?), and reconnect. windows and netgear have separate icons for when i have a connection.

ill see if any updated drivers are available.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

i need router help

Reply #27
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;220585
what list?

Right click on the wireless connection icon > view available networks, > change advanced settings > "wireless networks" tab > "remove" any network that isn't yours.

+1 on updating the router.  you might also consider running a windows update (ymmv, that's always a hit or miss situation).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]