Skip to main content
Topic: California = Anti auto enthusiast (Read 2254 times) previous topic - next topic

California = Anti auto enthusiast

Reply #15
In NY where I live, after 25 yrs. you can dump the cats from the car.
Don't know if it's the whole state or not. I didn't ask

Actually, no you can't...Federal law prohibits dumping of cats if the car had them. Fed law trumps state law. If you get away with it, you get away with it.
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #16
Quote from: SR71TC;219384
Actually, no you can't...Federal law prohibits dumping of cats if the car had them. Fed law trumps state law. If you get away with it, you get away with it.

Your probably right. but if no one ever checks it ever again. I'm sure no one will ever care.
They'll be on my car anyway until they fall off.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #17
Quote from: P71;219370
Here it's 20 or 25 years exempt (I'm not sure which, but the RX-7 is 25 and exempt, so it's at least 25). OTOH the "greater Seattle area" is the only place that actually tests (like 4-5 counties?), the rest of the state doesn't care, especially my county. That said, the P71 still has cats and will be keeping them. No reason not to really?

25 :hick:
We still get tested up in here In Lynnwood, I think Everett does as well.
Then again... I see alot of ricer/ghetto cars down in everett, lol.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #18
Not sure about canadian federal law but here in ontario if your car came with cats it has to stay with cats or it's a 400 dollar fine,there is no set year where you can remove them.
Our e-testing here used to have cutoff years of 20yrs old then no further testing was required but they changed that a few years back and said that 1987 model year would be the last year of that.
Now your vehicle must be 30yrs old and be registered as historic to not have any further e-tests.
Luckily my TC is an 87(no more tests,woo-hoo)but it does still have all the e gear on it anyways.
Kinda sucks cause the 89 SC i'm restoring would be done this year as well but guess it will have to wait until it's 30yrs old if she makes it that long.

Reply #19
For Maryland counties that require testing:

96 and newer they scan the OBD computer.
84-95 exhaust sniffed while on treadmill.
77-83 exhaust sniffed while at idle.
76 and older exempted.
If you are over 70 years old and drive it less than 5000 miles per year you can request an exemption.

Reply #20
Here in Iowa, there's nothing... The only check your car has to go though, is if it's a rebuilt/salvage title, to get a new title.

Reply #21
Quote from: Sduneman3;219443
Here in Iowa, there's nothing... The only check your car has to go though, is if it's a rebuilt/salvage title, to get a new title.

Same thing in Minnesota, nothing. I'm not 100% sure about the twin cities, but here in the sticks (Rochester) we don't have inspections of any kind.... yet.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #22
i've got people.

they do test here in missouri, but i don't think they do any emissions testing though.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily: