Skip to main content
Topic: California = Anti auto enthusiast (Read 2266 times) previous topic - next topic

California = Anti auto enthusiast

Guys, after discussing engine swapping and engine mods with a mechanic friend of mine, I have come to the further realization that California is simply against the car enthusiast.  I knew we had tough emissions standards, but now the requirements being laden on older cars in regards to passing smog is ludicrous.  How are the the smog laws in other states?

Reply #1
In Illinois (at least in the Chicago metro area) anything 1995 and down doesn't get smog tested anymore. Hell they don't even do smog checks in the rest of the state.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
In Ohio,if the car is 25 years or older,you dont have to have the vehicle e-checked (emissions Check).

The thing that really gets me,there are only 5 counties in the entire state that have to do this and I live in one of them.:shakeass:
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #3
CA used to have a formal way for a car enthusiast to get around the emissions laws.  Did they stop that?

To answer your question, here emissions testing varies by county and cars are exempt after 25 years.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
In NY where I live, after 25 yrs. you can dump the cats from the car.
Don't know if it's the whole state or not. I didn't ask
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
in the south east, we're all about pollution.... except for north carolina, they have to have emission laws to make up for all the cigarette smoke they produce :mullet:

for real though, the states and areas with the highest concentrations of people, and therefore cars, are the ones with the most emissions stuff.....  besides the environmentalists that love california, their laws are so tough because of the topography of the land..... with a mountian range to the east and the ocean winds coming from the west, all the pollution just kind of sits above the state and never moves, whereas in, say florida, there's nothing in the land that holds our pollution above us

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #6
Daminc, it's the same out here. All of Upstate is like that. Downstate we'd have to have our tailpipes hooked up to the sniffer! Up here it's just a "visual inspection" for anything pre OBD-II (pre 1996) so that's how I got away with my off-road h-pipe. :hick: :evilgrin:  Though the place I took it to actually didn't even put the car on the lift!!! LOL
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #7
In Ga, only Atlanta tests, and I have no idea what the break is for year or age.

Reply #8
No testing here whatsoever. Cats have to be present on 91 and newer cars (Federal Canadian law) but they don't necessarily have to work (or even have "guts").
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Quote from: Chooglin;219302
In Ohio,if the car is 25 years or older,you dont have to have the vehicle e-checked (emissions Check).

The thing that really gets me,there are only 5 counties in the entire state that have to do this and I live in one of them.:shakeass:

Same here! *High Five* :roxor:

Still have a couple years though... :flame:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #10
Here it's 20 or 25 years exempt (I'm not sure which, but the RX-7 is 25 and exempt, so it's at least 25). OTOH the "greater Seattle area" is the only place that actually tests (like 4-5 counties?), the rest of the state doesn't care, especially my county. That said, the P71 still has cats and will be keeping them. No reason not to really?

Reply #11
CA is also against cars that have no smog.

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/

got the movie for like $4 was great even if it was a year or 2 old and goes to show how bad the auto markers are taking these cars back form 78 people and hauling them away and chrusing them and also not let them release the cars or insure them again.

Thank god there really no smog in texas and even with all the cars here with no cats running around as long as you got a mid to late 80s car most people could careless about smog. All some of them care about is the NOISE level.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #12
Quote from: Carpimp1987;219377

Thank god there really no smog in texas and even with all the cars here with no cats running around as long as you got a mid to late 80s car most people could careless about smog. All some of them care about is the NOISE level.

Depends on where you live.  The Panhandle is probably okay, but the areas around DFW, Houston, and maybe Austin and SA are different.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Ture i have not been to dallas in 2 years but after watching that movie it looks no where near as bad as CA air.

Anyone seen the new Telsa roadster 200 plus miles per charge and govner is set at 130mph only downside is the price but it looks good.

I thought CA was all about candy paint and rims and sound systems since i don't know whatelse you can do if you gotta follow all those rules.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #14
Tesla = Elise + 700 lb battery.

Funny thing about SoCal, I saw fewer MBs and BMWs there than North Dallas, and nothing like Faster and Way Furiousier movies.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]