Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Two Tone Cougar XR7 VORTECH V-1 NEW pics page 25 go look (Read 37202 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Two Tone Cougar XR7 VORTECH V-1 NEW pics page 25 go look

Reply #105
All good things come to an end...

Quote from: DVP;237906
Primer and and speed is all you need.

Like I said Primer is all you need.... One color of primer does really good....

Sometimes You just have to take your losses... Its about that time for the car.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #106
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;237974
great, thanks alot CougarXLS.....
*sniff sniff...*  I smell rice.....
Although I'll confess to never hearing that particular ricey expression, and don't know what it means; I will say this: At least you got my name right :hick:

Quote from: Carpimp1987;237972
Cougar XLS thanks i will try that next round of pics.
Blimey man!  There's no space between the r and the X!
:rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #107
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;237867
I kinda like the wheels on there...that PCV valve looks pretty angry...you know they sell 3/8" spacers for most intakes.

good luck,
Don

cant he do away with the PCV? he has a breather. i thought your soppose to run one or the other. not both. that might save a headache just getting rid of that if the intake doesnt hit the cover
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #108
Quote from: grutinator;238014
cant he do away with the PCV? he has a breather. i thought your soppose to run one or the other. not both. that might save a headache just getting rid of that if the intake doesnt hit the cover

I think you have to run on with an SC
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #109
Respect to pimp.

Reply #110
Quote from: xjeffs;238054
Respect to pimp.

X2. I am impressed by the progress. Keep it up!
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #111
X3 i have never seen a 80s cougar fixed up in real life and without you guys i would have never in my life thought of a car except for a 1967-1973 because in my mind untill i got in this site thats the only real Cougar body styles i liked.

I owe $250 on parts and like $3,000 on labor right now need to pay $1500 of it to get it into the drive way and out of the shop thanks guys if you really got a probelm with me i got a idea "dragstrip" otherwise just stop by and take in the pics whenever i get a chance to updated it.

You guys are kickass and i owe all of you a thanks even those who talk $#!%. You guys are great and not to forget there is a few girls on this site 2. Be Proud of your cars and takecare of them and fix them up in your own style and give respect where it is due.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #112
Quote from: Carpimp1987;238075
X3.... ....Be Proud of your cars and takecare of them and fix them up in your own style and give respect where it is due.

x4......... well, x4!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #113
cant he do away with the PCV? he has a breather. i thought your soppose to run one or the other. not both

Correct!  Running both basically adds an extra vacuum leak that the EEC-IV cannot account for.

an open breather + PCV = unmetered air.......although the PCV valve itself is a controlled vacuum leak, the sample of air it feeds from (crankcase side), has to be taken from the air that has already been metered by the MAF....reason for the breather hose at the TB.

The system will work, but a lean condition during idle/part throttle could be possible, if the EEC can't "compensate" within its tpuppies limitation.......

I actually have a question concerning the PCV......
Doesn't the Holley intake have a provision in the back for one?  Curious as to why you're running your off the valve cover.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #114
V8 Demon i have no idea for the most part why it is the way it is because this project is 2 big and i have not really done anything except worked a lot of overtime lately to help pay for it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.

Reply #115
Quote from: V8Demon;238123
Correct!  Running both basically adds an extra vacuum leak that the EEC-IV cannot account for.

I actually have a question concerning the PCV......
Doesn't the Holley intake have a provision in the back for one?  Curious as to why you're running your off the valve cover.

Usually a calibration us done with the PCV in place, so it compensates throughout the cal for the PCV leak, on mass air.  Now different PCV's flow differently, so each cal is matched to a PCV.  And when a PCV is open it is sucking in oil fumes too, which is a combustible mixture, so it's not really an air leak.

I would worry about actually pressurizing the      case and blowing out seals if you remove the PCV.  It's no harm in leaving it in IMHO.

Reply #116
All i need right now guys is help with 2 things

Back springs and stuff how many of you guys use CHE or what works best on your cars? the car sits up high in the back.

Also whats the best brake set up for the price front and back i was thinking a SSBC kit on the front not sure on the back yet.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #117
Well i figure i'll chime in on the pcv and brake issue.
Keep the pcv(get rid of the breather) and use a turbocoupe one from ford only(aftermarkets tend to leak from what i hear) it will seal under boost,not pressurizing the crankcase.
Disconnect the hose that goes from the tb to the drs side valve cover,cap the tb side then run a hose from the vc too an airline water trap.
Run the hose from there to the front side of your conical air filter.
Drill and tap a fitting into the front flat section of the air filter and connect the hose.
Bingo,sealed pcv system which won't pressurize the crankcase and will function correctly.
I've been running this system for several years through 14psi on my 5.0 and have yet to even clean the air filter(soon to be time though), the airline water trap getsvirtually no oil(although the filter does go brown in color) and works excellent.
To make the system cost me about 50bucks inc the pcv and filter.
Now as for the best cost effective braking system.
94-95 Sn95 front spindles with cobra 13" front brakes and either sn95 rear disc or a tc rear end.
I use che rear control arms and they are cats ass,excellent build quality and hardware,improved the handling loads.
Best 250.00 bucks i ever spent on the tc.

Reply #118
Quote from: xjeffs;238309
Usually a calibration us done with the PCV in place, so it compensates throughout the cal for the PCV leak, on mass air.  Now different PCV's flow differently, so each cal is matched to a PCV.  And when a PCV is open it is sucking in oil fumes too, which is a combustible mixture, so it's not really an air leak.

I would worry about actually pressurizing the case and blowing out seals if you remove the PCV.  It's no harm in leaving it in IMHO.

The harm is in running both....one or the other is the way to go.  As stated, it can cause lean conditions at idle/part throttle.
In most N/A applications; it's usually best to leave the PCV in place.  In forced induction applications this is not always the best choice.
An option could be 2 open breathers OR you could even go so far as to use an evac kit such as this:  http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/25900/10002/-1#  Emission compatibility becomes an issue at that point, however.  I'm not sure I would run a pan-evac on a car with catalytic converters in place.  That's a situation in which blow-by becomes a fire hazard.

You can even use a smog pump or air pump in more radical setups.  The trick is finding a good pump that will live at high RPM's or play with pulley sizes to keep it from spinning too fast.

Here's an excellent write-up on the different types of systems:

http://people.msoe.edu/~lannanm/TECH_pcvsystem.html

And some more learning here as well:  http://people.msoe.edu/~lannanm/techarticles.html

For you race fans out there, there are a few different breeds of PCV systems available. There’s the “Pan-Evac” system, and there’s the “Vacuum Pump” system. Both accomplish the same thing as the PCV system, with some substantial gains.

The “Pan-Evac” system is short for pan evacuation. The pan implying the oil pan, which sort of implies the crankcase. Don’t ask me; I didn’t name it. The Pan-Evac system uses tubes welded into the exhaust header collectors at a typical 15º angle. As the exhaust passes around the tube it creates a high amount of vacuum, pulling the crankcase gasses out, and blowing them out the exhaust. The EPA would obviously be all over this if it were a road vehicle. But it’s assumed that if you’re doing this it’s a race only vehicle. This is NOT at all recommended if you’re running lers of any kind. Again not something you’d necessary do if it were a race only vehicle. The oily gasses will put a residue on everything in the exhaust stream. A ler full of oil residue is a fire waiting to happen. Not good.

The “Vacuum Pump” style system uses a belt driven pump to increase the intake manifolds vacuum. The PCV system can be merged into the pump to create a high level of vacuum on the system.

Both of these systems actually make horsepower. That’s right. Crankcase pressure eats up horsepower. How you may ask? Simple. Imagine your engine is a syringe. Imaging pulling the syringe up and down; sucking in air and blowing it out. Now apply some pressure under the plunger by plugging the needle. Takes a lot more power to press it down huh? Well that’s what happens in an engine. The pressure built up in the crankcase (directly under all of the moving pistons) will apply force on the pistons, making it harder for them to move.

It also builds power in another aspect. If there is a high amount vacuum placed on the crankcase, the piston rings will be sucked up tighter to the cylinder walls. This will then create a better seal, and reduce blow by. The less gas that escapes around the piston rings, the more power the piston will make.

Also from SBFTech.com

1. Open Breathers = no vacuum used, crankcase fumes, gases and pressure thrown out by pressure.

2. Open PCV System = PCV valve setup to crankcase (lower intake, valve cover) and an open breather to atmosphere. PCV valve = a controlled vacuum leak....Engine state dependent.

3. Closed PCV system = PCV valve setup to crankcase + breather hose to intake air stream. EFI MAF systems need to have the hose after the MAF sensor(=metered air). Engine state dependent. This is = to an open PCV system....the only difference is the source of air for the vacuum leak created by the PCV on the breather hose side.

4. Pan Evac = Vacuum induced to crankcase via exhaust flow. Crankcase sealed.

5. Crankcase Vacuum Pump = Vacuum induced to crankcase via off-line vacuum pump.

Shouldn't mix setups.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #119
Quote from: Carpimp1987;238337
All i need right now guys is help with 2 things

Back springs and stuff how many of you guys use CHE or what works best on your cars? the car sits up high in the back.

Also whats the best brake set up for the price front and back i was thinking a SSBC kit on the front not sure on the back yet.

I just bought a set mach1 springs and the CHE rear adjustable control arms to bring the rear up. I didn't install them yet but from what I read its a pretty good setup. If you buy the CHE's don't forget to use the promotion code to get the discount, I think it was "coolcats", Check Eric's site to double check
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]