Skip to main content
Topic: drive shafts options (Read 1624 times) previous topic - next topic

drive shafts options

http://www.pstds.com/custom_driveshafts.htm
from that website, im thinking about getting the Street - Strip Aluminum Driveshaft or the Chromoly Driveshaft. does anybody know anything about them? if they are even worth the money?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

drive shafts options

Reply #1
i think i read something about you can get an aluminum driveshaft from an aerostar van just use your yolk and it bolts in... but as far as the price and being worth it i cannot say

drive shafts options

Reply #2
at the pick n pull here you can get an aerostar drive shaft for 10 bucks!
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

drive shafts options

Reply #3
I thought the Aerostar drive shafts were a swap for the stangs.I don't remember them fitting our cars.I hope I'm wrong.If I am,I can grab those all day long.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

drive shafts options

Reply #4
if i remembered where i saw the info id double check for yall.... but im a male and suffer severly from short term memory loss....

drive shafts options

Reply #5
Well i have always gone over kill in my driveshafts.
If you are making any good power using slicks now and then or drag radials just get a shaft made.  Stock shaft with good Yoke and U joints are OK for mild cars.

drive shafts options

Reply #6
Quote from: the_intimidator03;212337
if i remembered where i saw the info id double check for yall.... but im a male and suffer severly from short term memory loss....

I also suffer from memory loss,but I can't remember when it started.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

drive shafts options

Reply #7
What?? Who???
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

drive shafts options

Reply #8
well, how long is my driveshaft? from where to where do i measure it?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

drive shafts options

Reply #9
Getting a shaft that's too short and having it stretched isn't going to save you money.  A decent aftermarket Al performance DS will run you $400-500.  A carbon fiber shaft isn't necessary for our cars.

One inexpensive option is to get an Al shaft from a Crown Vic, have it shortened to fit.  Another inexpensive option is to have the dampener removed from the factory shaft, then have it rebalanced. 

Take the junkyard shaft and yours to the driveshaft shop, they can do the rest.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

drive shafts options

Reply #10
how long is my drive shaft?

drive shafts options

Reply #11
Quote from: quicksilver;212574
how long is my drive shaft?

measure it
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

drive shafts options

Reply #12
Quote from: quicksilver;212526
well, how long is my driveshaft? from where to where do i measure it?

center of u-joint to center of other u-joint
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

drive shafts options

Reply #13
ok, thanks for your helP!