Skip to main content
Topic: 408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020) (Read 110728 times) previous topic - next topic

408 stroker project (For Sale 5/2018)

Reply #225
It's been we'll over a year and I haven't done anything with it till today.  A quick recap,  I have a horrible running condition that pours smoke out the tailpipes, fills the entire street with smoke, and after 7-10 minutes loads up with fuel till the car starts popping out the exhaust and than dies from the plugs fouling up. 

I've always known the car would need a tune but I've been on the fence with putting anymore money into it untill I knew exactly what the problem was. I always had in the back of my mind that I did have the diablosport chip burned with a base tune to add the lmaf meter transfer table so the 42# injectors would play nice with the EEC.  So it sat again for a year and a half till today.

So I changed the oil today, primed the oil, squirted a tiny bit of oil in the cylinders, rotated the engine by hand a couple of times, replaced the o2 sensors, new 3924 plugs, and put some gas in it.

I started it up and it filled the street with smoke like it has in the past, ok nothing changed.. Back to square one.  Well I did something different today that I never did in the past 4 years with dealing with this.  I pulled the. Diablosport chip and ran it without anything...

And guess what happened...

All of the smoke was gone instantly,  I bleed the brakes and took it for a drive and its finally drivable.  The car has tons of power even though it running rich as hell, so when it's completely right I think it going to blow my mind.  So finally I can order the tuning stuff with a clear head knowing it's going to fix everything.

I know I said it before, but I'm ordering the moats quarterhorse, wideband o2, and tune from dirtydirtyracing.com in the next two weeks and will be fully on the road very shortly!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #226
Good to here, That would drive me nuts sitting all that time.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #227
Good thing you finally fixed it!
It really sucks when you run out of all motivation. But I'm guessing now when it works, it's all back again? ;)

Reply #228
Awesome :)!
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #229
Crazy ...... Somtimes it's the stupid shiznit lol

Reply #230
Yes it always the stupid shiznit,  but it really plays with your head.  I checked every wire of the engine harness because I couldn't understand why it ran like it did cause I thought the parts I bought were right.  I was very close to either selling the car and moving on or ripping all the fuel injection stuff out and going carb.

I even called the place that burned the chip years ago and asked if I could send it back and have it checked, the guy on the phone was like it's right I did it and it should be fine... well I took his word on it and got burned.  Oh well time to move on

And yes Kitz it did drive me nuts lol,  every time I walked by it I was like WTF..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #231
Yea that's the risk with a mail order tune .... Any dyno tuners near you?

Reply #232
Yeah there's a couple, two of them got horrible reviews,  the other is tillman's.  Tillman's had a good tuner (Chris Rose) but he left and works for american muscle now,  but at the time was still tuning at tillman's on nights and weekends.  I tried to setup an appointment with tillman's about 2 years ago and after 5 phone calls without a return call I gave up.  Plus he wanted me to just leave the car for a couple of days and just come back to pick it up,  which I wanted to be there when it was done, to talk with the tuner, be a part of it, and maybe take a video and stuff.  Actually I was talking to a guy on the corral that made an appointment with them too and he finally got his appointment,  and 6 months after that I found a thread he started on the corral about how he wasn't happy with the tune he got and switched to quarterhorse. So for the $550 tillman's wanted I'm going to just spend the $800 and get what I need for quarterhorse.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #233
After reading your entire 408 adventure its good to hear you finally got to take it for a drive. Hope the tuning goes well so you can move on with the rest of your plans for the car.

Reply #234
Quote from: bodyman;419159
After reading your entire 408 adventure its good to hear you finally got to take it for a drive. Hope the tuning goes well so you can move on with the rest of your plans for the car.

Thanks bodyman, still got some other things to finish up. After the tuning is done,  I need hood, windshield, tires, alignment, and maybe next year I'll get it painted.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #235
I got my quarterhorse from dirtydirtyracing yesterday!  So far so good,  throttle response is awesome, lots of power, idle is decent.  Still little rich,  I have to order the wideband and install it till we can adjust the tune.

Overall it feels 100xs better.  Ill update again when I get the wideband o2 and BE/EA running.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #236
Nice!

Reply #237
Nice build, I bet its going to be a fun car once you get it tuned the way you like it.  I have enjoyed reading this thread and I think you have done an awesome job on the car and motor.

Reply #238
Thanks for the kind words,  I'm just happy ill be done before the 5 year anniversary lol

Edit: March 2014 will be 6 years.. Lol somehow I lost a year
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #239
Quote from: Bob;421459
  I'm just happy ill be done before the 5 year anniversary lol

I've blown well past that mark :mullet:  LOL Great progress!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]