Skip to main content
Topic: 408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020) (Read 110755 times) previous topic - next topic

408 stroker project (For Sale 5/2018)

Reply #240
Quote from: Bob;421434
I got my quarterhorse from dirtydirtyracing yesterday!  So far so good,  throttle response is awesome, lots of power, idle is decent.  Still little rich,  I have to order the wideband and install it till we can adjust the tune.

Overall it feels 100xs better.  Ill update again when I get the wideband o2 and BE/EA running.

Let us know how you like the Quarterhorse. I'd like to get one as I'm pretty sure my Thunderbird could use a tune as it's not really close to a stock HO anymore. I'm just worried that I won't have any idea how to use the thing as I've had no formal training with engine management software.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #241
I will,  once I get the software and wideband I'll post a little review of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #242
Well, it is about time.....

Reply #244
Quote from: Bob;421484
LOL, hey Jim are you still looking for a tbird? There's an 88 roller on craigslist for $300 with a body kit too!

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/4016219374.html

I saw that one! There is one right down the road from me with a 347 stroker and 5 speed.

Reply #245
Small update,  I picked up a 4" Anderson powerpipe.  Fits pretty good, I need to open the hole up another 1/2" and I was going to use split vacuum hose around the edge to clean up the hole and to dampen any vibrations.  Car is running good, still have to work out an issue with the brake pedal spongy, install wideband O2, get a hood, windshield, and tires.  Really looking forward to driving it this spring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #246
Very nice I love my power pipe

Reply #247
I got QH back in feb 2009...used it for 2 years before i upgraded to PIMP.  Lots of good info on the net.

Eectuning.org has tons of info.

Travis

Reply #248
I give you serious credit for sticking with the project.

Reply #249
I just read all 25 pages tonight, I too have a wife and kids so I can relate to having to wait and sit on a project.  But you Sir, 5+ years, WOW your a trooper.  I've often thought of calling it quits with my car, but the dreams and memories I have of my prior cars has me yearning for that first drive.  Nice build, Nice to see you figured out your tuning issues.  And on the hood, why don't you make a plexi glass cover for it ala ZR1.  Or just leave it open for a while.  I've driven my 85GT around with out a hood for a couple days.  Looks good, can't wait to see the pics of you doing a big old smokey burnout!
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #250
Thanks for the kind words guys, maybe I will just make a scoop for now.  I don't know,  I know once I get the hood I'll want to get the whole car painted lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #251
I have a big ol boss9 scoop thats friggin huge, i dont think im ever going to use it lol

Reply #252
Ok I got the next 3 days to just finish the cougar.. took off from work and wife and daughter are going out Saturday. I need to re-bleed master cylinder and all lines, put on temporary scoop, and drive this bitch.

I got my scoop for the hood and there's good news and bad news.  Good news is it's temporary until I make some sort of custom cowl similar to Greg's hood because I need lots of width to clear the throttle body, and no fiberglass cowl has clearance where I need it. Bad news is it's not a Ford style scoop and probably has no business being on a cougar lol. It might piss off some of you that bleed Ford blue.  Unfortunately it's the only scoop I can find that will fit my hole,  I've already bought and returned 2 scoops in the past month. I might turn it around instead of placing it the way it's designed to be mounted.  I'll post some pics tomorrow or Friday after the brakes are worked out.

In the meantime what scoop would you get for a 25"x 18" hole with 2 3/4"- 3" of top clearance?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #253
Check the 5" cowl hood I put on my Bird from VFM Fiberglass.
Nice quality piece, gives me loads of room inside the engine bay I dont even need.

Reply #254
Finally drove it today for the first time ever! The brakes are ok.. I think I'm just not use to the drum rear.  The brakes feels weak to me but I bench bleed the master cylinder and all the lines with a motive power bleeder, and there's not a single air bubble.

Oh btw this thing is crazy fast, tons of power.  I'll post a video soon, I Don't have time now cause I'm in the middle of moving this week.  I love how the 408 sounds cause it's pretty quiet till about 3k and than it opens up and comes to life.  You can drive it normal and not attract too much attention, but god help you if you stomp on it.  I'm definitely going to need wider tires and better brakes.

X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]