Skip to main content
Topic: 408 stroker project (Sold 4/2020) (Read 110712 times) previous topic - next topic

408 stroker project (For Sale 5/2018)

Reply #195
Bob,

It really looks great!  I can appreciate the number of hours its taken to get it to this stage.

Have my fingers crossed for you on the eraser trick!  Look forward to hearing good news.

Reply #196
Quote from: 86T-bird;349482
Bob,

It really looks great!  I can appreciate the number of hours its taken to get it to this stage.

Have my fingers crossed for you on the eraser trick!  Look forward to hearing good news.

Thanks dude.  If it doesn't work I'm going to buy the abaco meter, if that doesn't work I'm going to flip out and rip out all the EFI stuff and slap a carb on it.. Either way this thing is going to be ready for the spring.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #197
Quote from: Bob;349500
I'm going to flip out and rip out all the EFI stuff and slap a carb on it.. Either way this thing is going to be ready for the spring.

Thats my plan for the bird. one way or another.. Gonna have a warmed over 302. carber. easy clean and super simple.

Cars looking good Bob

Reply #198
Keep at it...I still expect to get a ride in it someday.

Jim

Reply #199
Quote from: 86T-bird;349482
Bob,

Ok heres a recap:

I went from running the car at idle for only 10 min with black smoke pouring out of the tailpipes and than it dies from fouling the plugs up.

I cleaned the contacts of EEC service port real good and started it last weekend

Now it runs really good.  I had it running with no smoke and nice exhaust note.  About an hour past and I had the car running for about 20 min at a time I noticed after the 3rd time the idle was getting worse, than it had difficult starting from just turning the key, I let it cool and pulled the plugs and they were black but not anything like they were before.  It threw a code that I haven't checked yet. 

I think I'm good just need to complete the tune at this point to get the a/f right.  One thing I did notice was a whistle like sound coming from around the throttle body valve cover fill spout area.  I pulled the valve cover cap off (trickflow covers) and I had a huge amount of vacuum in the valve cover to where it was loud, it was almost sucking the cap back on the spout, and was loud enough to here while engine was running.  I turned car off checked my pcv valve and screen and they appear to be okay.  I was able to blow through the screen with my mouth with it in my hand.  The pcv valve rattled like they normally do.

Any thoughts on the valve cover vacuum?? Is that normal?

Up next is bleed the master cylinder (peddle is soft), get some sort of hood scoop for the hole, and call insurance company to take it for a road test. 

Than it needs to get alignment, windshield, inspection, tune :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #200
I have no input, but it's good to see you working on it again
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #201
Hey Bob, Glad to hear it's running!

Can't say if the vacuum issue is a problem, put a gauge on it and see if it lines up with the specs on the cam card.

I had a heck a whistle that seemed to come from my GT-40 Tubular intake at idle before I got it tuned.  Never figured out where it came from, or why it went away after tuning....

Reply #202
I'll post a video of it so you can hear it.  Just need to host it somewhere when I have some time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #203
Here's a video of the idle, you can hear the whistle.  Overall the engine ran smooth without being tuned yet,  going to knock out the brakes,alignment, and inspection soon so I can take it for a ride.  Than I'll get it tuned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2V_qcm5_M
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #204
I like it,still got a big hole in the hood?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #205
Yeah bro the hole is still there.  I'm still on the fence on putting a scoop or just buying a hood.  Gonna work on the brakes and alignment in the next week or so and drive it soon.. can't wait
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #206
Sounds good, congrats.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #207
Hey Bob, it does idle very nice.  Sounds great! 

The whistle or resonance sound is very much like what I had with mine.  Unfortunately I don't know what fixed it!  I'd had some other issues, pulled it apart to correct them and the noise wasn't there after reassembly.  Maybe a vacuum leak?  Mine was impossible to localize, it just seemed to resonate from the upper intake.

Reply #208
Thanks for the compliments,  I'll have some more videos soon.. I'm looking forward to doing a nice smokey burn out with it :burnout::burnout:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #209
Looks and sounds great like the tips. Well worth the wait and yet I see no burnouts in front of your house I tried not do that for oh I don't know the first day :)
Great job
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done