Skip to main content
Topic: i got a little creative yesterday. (Read 2074 times) previous topic - next topic

i got a little creative yesterday.

after putting the motor back in the turbocoupe, i decided to fab up an egr block off plate.

91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #1
Nice.I'm about to make one for my 5.0.I just need to get some aluminum.The piece I have is about 1/8 inch thick.I need it a little more sturdy than that.Yours looks great,like you bought it that way.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;210509
Nice.I'm about to make one for my 5.0.I just need to get some aluminum.The piece I have is about 1/8 inch thick.I need it a little more sturdy than that.Yours looks great,like you bought it that way.

thanks.  this one is 1/4".  i think it'll hold up just fine.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #3
I'm going to the syard tomorrow and grab some of that aluminum.You've inspired me.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
Lookin' Good!  What all did you do with the 2.3 when you had it out?

Reply #5
Quote from: tc²;210554
Lookin' Good!  What all did you do with the 2.3 when you had it out?

high flow melling oil pump, new seals/gaskets throughout, swapped on an svo cam cover (i just think they look better.), and a kirban fpr.  i was going to swap on a 65mm tb, but i need to either make an adapter for it or buy the kit to put it on.

by the way, i've got another question for you... i'll send it in a pm.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #6
Is there any performance benefits to blocking off the EGR?
88 TC with 93 GT 5.0 (.030 over), XE266HR Compcam, SVO 1.6 Roller Rockers, BBK underdrives, BBK 1 5/8" headers, 2 1/2" exhuast with Americian Thunder Flowmaster lers. Tremec 5 speed and 3.73's and alot of other goodies to list.....

Reply #7
Quote from: SR71TC;210580
Is there any performance benefits to blocking off the EGR?

Nope.

I'm using 1/8" thick aluminum. Used the gasket, and some copper gasket sealant. 24psi of boost an no issue.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
1/8 aluminum I have.I'll try it when my new Dremel gets here.

Reply #9
i just use a 351C fuel pump plate works fine!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

block the egr? just say no.

Reply #10
Quote from: Tbird232ci;210626
Nope.

I'm using 1/8" thick aluminum. Used the gasket, and some copper gasket sealant. 24psi of boost an no issue.

you might even see a performance drop, esp w/ gas mileage.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
Forgive my ignorance... but why do you want to block off the EGR?  What pratical purposes does it serve?  How would the fuel computer react?

I may be out of context, but I do have a mind-dot when it comes to blocking the EGR valve like that... a couple of years back, Cougar A was having stalling problems, and the mechanic at the shop used a penny (a freakin' one cent POS) and some kind of heat/putty glue, it did fix the stalling problem, but eventually created more problems than it solved.  When I confronted the mechanic, his only response was, "I thought you where taking the car off the road, and only needed a temporary solution"
:mad:
Two some odd years later, there is still an outstanding invoice... but suffice it to say, I will never EVER let anyone touch my car EVER AGAIN. :beatyoass:

So, I am curious?  Why block off the EGR?  Is it because you've done some other mod that requires the removal?  I'd really like to learn.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock

Reply #12
I blocked mine off, and noticed nothing.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #13
alright.... i know there are no performance gains from this.  the ONLY reason i did it is to clean up the engine bay a bit.  i've done this to every single one of my 2.3 turbo motors and have never had a single problem.  one of these motors has been in service for 4 years now with no ill effect.
06 pontiac g6 gt

Reply #14
So then really your only reason for blocking of the valve is because you can...?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Operation: X Marks the Spot
5.0L SEFI, AOD, 8.8" 3.02 TracLok - All Stock