Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Thunderbird V8 5.0L 40k Miles, new HO project! (Read 2288 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Thunderbird V8 5.0L 40k Miles, new HO project!

Well, I have decided to convert to HO. But first my transmission needs to be fixed, and it is in the shop today for that. On the way I was able to take two pictures of the interior, when I get it back I will take more. Paint job is maroon/red, and the interior is the same color.

Quality of photos are not great right now. They were taken with my phone while driving to the transmission shop.

*New pic of the car, my camera phone sucks in the daylight, picked up a bad glare.

I am planning on buying the HO parts to convert it to a 5.0L HO V8, it only has 40k miles, so I do not want to do too much to it yet. Everything else in the car is pretty much stock, it has the floor shifter as well.

Reply #1
Thats not red! I hope thats your phone that makes it look that way? I think it's kinda purplish pink.Get a spray can,LOL!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
Get some more pics when you can,and let us know all the details of the car,and what you're plans are.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;207497
Get some more pics when you can,and let us know all the details of the car,and what you're plans are.

I should be able to take more pictures tomorrow when I get it back from the Transmission shop. Transmission had to be rebuilt, $1,650 :(.

@kitzdnm  It is red, the lighting was weird when I was driving so my phone made it look that color.

Reply #4
for that much, you should be getting a pretty nice tranny with a shift kit.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #5
Quote from: jncocowboyx;207503
for that much, you should be getting a pretty nice tranny with a shift kit.

Well I got two estimates one from Circle D here and houston, and then another called Carter Transmission. Circle D was $1,400 labor then depending on the parts it needs it could go up to $2,000

Reply #6
too bad you ain't in florida. we're rebuilding trans in class.
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #7
You should be able to find a good use AOD pretty cheap.  Of course it seems they all need to be rebuilt under 100k miles.

Reply #8
Guess my Ford re-mfg AODE for was the wifes Grand Marquis was a steal at $900 shipped... Of course I had to put it in...

Reply #9
New picture taken, had the transmission fixed. My camera phone sucks, so I will take more pictures when I get my uncles digital camera and when I vacuum the carpet in the car.

Reply #10
sweet looking bird. what wheels are those? the color looks off, but it looks clean. definatly post some more pictures with a digital camera
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

Reply #11
Quote from: grutinator;207614
sweet looking bird. what wheels are those? the color looks off, but it looks clean. definatly post some more pictures with a digital camera

I have no clue what wheels they are, they were already on when my grandfather bought it from one of our neighbors like 8 years ago.

Reply #12
Those wheels were probibly made buy US Wheel, I had some on my 86 Mustang that were black. Anyway,Very nice looking ride.

Reply #13
wow...too bad you didnt just replace the tranny yourself. heck, you could have converted it to a stick for that or stuck a built up aod in there easy.

looks like a nice car though. id prob put different wheels on it soon.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #14
sweet looking car i like the wheels and paint myself but im very odd lol