Skip to main content
Topic: NASCAR fans (Read 4620 times) previous topic - next topic

NASCAR fans

Reply #15
on the surface nascar is all about sponsors and image.  and yes millions are spent each year for them.  condemn them for spending money hand over fist, F1, WRC, etc is condemned as well.  althought every car looks the same,  the angles of every bar in each car is different, only similar b/c they come out of the same garage.  i dont see why people have to SEE inovation like the aerodynamics, wings/spoilers, splitters, etc.  people just dont realize theres a guy sitting on a stool 24/7/365 holding his chin trying to figure out how to get 1 more tenth out of the cars.  theres another guy sitting on a stool trying to figure out the suspension geometry.  lots of people on stools and theres a lot of doodles on beer napkins. THAT is where the money goes.

look at the car of today, and a car from 1998, a decade ago.  leaps and strides forward, and then ten steps back b/c of rules.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

NASCAR fans

Reply #16
I'm not a big fan, but I do watch NASCAR...mainly the very beginning and very end of races.  The rest is just boring.  Anyways, about the race:

1) How many times does Juan Pablo Montoya have to just drive through people before anyone takes notice?  In almost every race I have watched since about mid way through last season (maybe earlier), every time I see his car on the TV screen, I say "Oh lord, I feel bad for the guys racing around him....here comes a wreck."  9 times out of freakin 10, within a couple of minutes, someone is in the wall and the replay shows that idiot plowing through whoever wrecked.

2)  Thank goodness Tony Stewart didnt win.  I hate that sspooge bag.

3)  Dammit, the past 3 years in a row, my driver (Matt Kenseth) is runnin in the top 5 or top 10 only to be taken out because someone else doesnt know how the hell to drive.  That blows.

4)  Yay, Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson both had problems that took em out of the race.  That always makes me happy.

5)  I'm so happy Tony Stewart didn't win....did I already say that?

NASCAR fans

Reply #17
Ryan Newman FTMFW.

"There ain't no ride like this at Disney World."

Hornish didn't look to shabby either.  I think he was up to 5th at some point.

Go Penske!

NASCAR fans

Reply #18
on the surface nascar is all about sponsors and image

And the middle and the bottom.  It's all about the Dollar. 

i dont see why people have to SEE inovation like the aerodynamics, wings/spoilers, splitters

Aerodynamics could be improved......Wings and spoilers?!  Most probably the last place of people who want to see those is the members this forum (as a whole)

theres a guy sitting on a stool 24/7/365 holding his chin trying to figure out how to get 1 more tenth out of the cars. theres another guy sitting on a stool trying to figure out the suspension geometry. lots of people on stools and theres a lot of doodles on beer napkins. THAT is where the money goes.

No doubt about the suspension machines and wind tunnels, but how much for MY doodle on a napkin?!  $100,000!!??

How about  fuel injection for better MPG?  We are trying to clean up the environment in this day and age, arent we?  How about independent suspension?  There ARE a few road race tracks in Nascar. 

And again enough of the 75 hours of BS surrounding a 3 hour race.....EVERY WEEK!  A one hour special on Speed Network about how they make Nascar commercials for prime time T.V.  Who cares?!
I can understand a couple of hours daily for Nascar, but the amount of coverage is ridiculous.  That's what happens when it's all about the Dollar though.  Attempt to get EVERYONE to like it.  Problem is their ramming it down peoples throats so hard many are disconcerted by it.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

NASCAR fans

Reply #19
Quote from: Innes;204827
gotta admit I didn’t see that coming

Neither did Tony Stewart!
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

NASCAR fans

Reply #20
IMO, 1988 was the last of the "Glory years"

In 88 you could still order a V-8 RWD Monte Carlo, Grand prix, etc.

In 1989, Nascar tried to fool everyone into believing you could order a new Lumina like the one raced on Sundays. I don't recall the Lumina coming with a V-8 or Rear wheel drive.

When the Taurus showed up as a 2 door, that was the final blow.

Oh yes, that Tom Cruise movie, Days of Blunder, didn't help either. WTF was the director thinking???? One frame the cars are clean, the next they are dirty, then back to clean and so on.

I guess the viewers were not supposed to see that while they were "watching" the movie.

Give credit to the Cashcar (oops...I mean Nascar) marketing group on a  great job of taking an entertainment event and convincing non- gearheads they "need" to watch it every week.

Oh yes, my 1987 460 Turbo Coupe is nicknamed " Elliot" (still the King of speed at Nascar);)
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

NASCAR fans

Reply #21
Give credit to the Cashcar (oops...I mean Nascar) marketing group on a great job of taking an entertainment event and convincing non- gearheads they "need" to watch it every week.

:bowdown:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

NASCAR fans

Reply #23
Quote from: EricCoolCats;204916
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4318

Best. NASCAR. Article. Evah.

**stirs up shiznit and runs**

Pretty much agree with it all, but then again I DESPISE it anyway.

My take is that NASCAR is suffering from six things:

First, overexposure; you can't go anywhere on TV without finding something NASCAR-related, or finding some NASCAR-type race being televised. I just think the TV audience is drowning in NASCAR coverage, and are saying enough is enough.

DING!
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

NASCAR fans

Reply #24
I get a kick out of people calling it a Motorsport. It's not a sport, it's a show. About the only thing they haven't regulated yet is how much the driver is allowed to weigh. It says a lot about the fans too, when they feel letting a foreign competitor in is the downfall of the series. You wonder why F1 never took off? Look no farther.

And Bill Elliot is no hero. He's a 'slipped out the back door' whiny bitch.

NASCAR fans

Reply #25
Nascar would be so much better if it had a lot less rules.

I haven't watched tv since the super bowl.

NASCAR fans

Reply #26
the toyota commercial with the remote controls was great. i also like the sprint commercials with the glowing line art "monster" cars....

FWIW, it was on the whole time, but i was doin other stuff around the house. i watched the last 50 or so laps. its kinda required for me; like current events for a high school student...you dont always care about every story, but you better know whats goin on in case there is a pop quiz!
i used to really enjoy watchin it, but now i jus keep myself abreast of whats goin on so im not clueless at work. im glad i dont work in the roush shop today....
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

NASCAR fans

Reply #27
Quote from: V8Demon;204483
To HELL with Nascar.  This week marked the end of a nice period on Speed Network without hours upon hours of Nascar.

I'm taking a liking to off-road 4X4 racing.

Sorry Bill, there's just no diversity in Nascar IMHO.  The cars are all the same and innovation is frowned upon unless it's an advertisp00get logo.

SCCA, Formula One, and 4X4 Off-road for me please....

x2

NASCAR fans

Reply #28
Quote from: EricCoolCats;204916
http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/4318

Best. NASCAR. Article. Evah.

**stirs up shiznit and runs**

A few of those "problems" are dealing with stereotypes.  If people can't look past a stereotype, they can fvck off.  As for the rest, I agree...except that I do think oval racing is very exciting at times.  Its just that the races are so long, it's only worth watching the last 20 laps or so.

NASCAR fans

Reply #29
A few of those "problems" are dealing with stereotypes. If people can't look past a stereotype, they can fvck off.

That may have been written from a "Yankee" point of view, but in every stereotype there seems to be a small kernel of truth. As soon as the majority of Southerners can admit that THEY LOST THE CIVIL WAR 150 YEARS AGO, I don't think there will be a problem with Southern stereotyping anymore. ;)

**stirs up shiznit again and runs fast**