Skip to main content
Topic: NASCAR fans (Read 4691 times) previous topic - next topic

NASCAR fans

Reply #45
I think the reason is it more pr0nounced in the South is due to an idealized view of the Antebellum era (Colonel Angus and Scarlet sipping sweet tea on the porch of their Plantation home while their slaves happily sing while working the fields) and an inferiority complex of having their asses handed to them on a platter and then enduring Reconstruction. Also, it's no secret that Northerners stereotypically look down on Southerners as hillbilly inbreds, which furthers the inferiority complex.

However, the rivalry goes deeper than just the War of Northern Aggression. There are cultural differences that predate the Revolutionary War. The rivalry doesn't fully stem from the War for Southern Independence nor does the rivalry's asymmetrical nature stem mean the South is stuck on the war.

And no, I'm not taking this too serious. :D

NASCAR fans

Reply #46
~AC is just like any person who wants to cry segregation, racism, separation, hate crime, etc.

Not a single insult has been thrown out here, yet he cries "Yankee" and "racism". Grow up, open your eyes, this is a FREE world.

Whats next "we need a scholarship for southerners, over 100 years ago, we lost a war, we need reparations?" "You Yankees do nothing more than try to hold us down!"
It's Gumby's fault.

NASCAR fans

Reply #47
Quote from: JeremyB
Explain how the South is hung up on the war?
When someone yells out "The South will rise again", do you take it to mean the person literally wishes the CSA would re-form and give it to those dirty Yanks once and for all?

Oh when I hear that, I feel that there's more than a hint of resentment there. Honestly, I don't know what to think. I'm not in that "club". But...it's the South's problem, not mine. ;)

Also, it's no secret that Northerners stereotypically look down on Southerners as hillbilly inbreds, which furthers the inferiority complex.
That is very true. There's plenty of inbreeding going on the in the North. Only difference is the greater number of teeth.

I keed, I keed! ;)

But here's the thing...as a lifelong "Yank", the Southern thing has never, I repeat, NEVER been part of my daily life. I don't wake up every morning and wish that we could beat the living piss out of the South again. Now...tell me the opposite is true...

Colonel Angus and Scarlet sipping sweet tea
Colonel Angus?
I thought you liked his close cousin, Annal Angus. ;)

Bah-da-BUM!

Sorry for pickin' on ya, Jeremy, it's all in good fun.
Unless you really do toss salads...

**The above was blatantly ripped off from a Saturday Night Live skit. Which is broadcast by NBC in New York City. Which is in the North.**

NASCAR fans

Reply #48
HOLY COW
Where did this go
Na let it go I’m laughing out loud reading this
Goodtimes guys, if we only had some beers and can hear each other out load, this is funny.

Post 1000 for me

NASCAR fans

Reply #49
when i went to nti, i was 2nd in class (couldnt beat a guy with a bachelor's in mech engineering) the entire time, yet everyone called me a ga hick b/c most of the guys in my class migrated south for NTI.  i mean i never said anything about being southern or anything about the south like any redneck stereotypically says, but they sure did say stuff to try and get me to argue with them like people arguing on the internet.  to be honest it mostly came the worse from people from the country parts of new york, and they had a worse backwoods accent than i did.  i guess i've ran into too many redneck yankees?  you guys are cool so im not taking it seriously, i didnt get offended, just pointing out an insult.  but this is kinda like ford vs chevy thing isnt it? lol.  it might not be racism, but it sure is discrimination.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

NASCAR fans

Reply #50
Quote from: Autocat/~AC
BTW V8Demon, if you get hired, yep, your beer napkins could be worth more than 100,000... maybe be worth 400,000 a year? as far as fuel efficiancy, EFI, electronically controlled fuel injection right? well how many ways to sunday is there to cheat there? how expensive is that? would you want to sit through a race for 3 hours instead of 4 b/c they never had to pit for gas? good thing nascar always can counteract that with goodyear in their pocket. besides, all that EFI junk on the engine, vs a carb. a simple carb. and they get better gas milage than any stock efi car today b/c those engines arent slapped together and put on a lot, they're pieces of art. engineering at it's best, but , its under the hood. thats why i mean it seems people have to SEE something to know that they're doing something outside of the box. i mean when you dyno 400 sets of headers for one engine for specific requirements, thats dedication and inovation, and thats just crackin the ice in that department.

as far as not liking the 800 hours of media coverage... turn it off. nothing else is going on obviously. wrc here? no. f1? no. IRL? kinda. cart? nope. to me the next strongest form of motorsports to nascar in america is the NHRA. i've never heard ANYONE complain about those cars... and uhh.. arent they just about the same with billboards all over them?

oh and nascar is running the steep steep rim of the toilet bowl, a road course just takes a long way around, and rally goes down the drain.

Excuse me, but ther's no way to cheat with a carb motor?  If you say so....Fuel injection is used in endurance races (Sebring, LeMans) and Nascar does have tech inspections so what the issue?  Price?!! If these engines are pieces of art as you say then the major expense of the issue would be CAD design for an intake manifold.  I'm sure their is a ton of money spent there already for that extra tenth....nay thousandth.  It's time for a change.....Perhaps even direct injection if feasible.

As far as the media coverage I do turn it off.  It's unfortunate that I must do so.  It was nice for the 2 months prior to see new things on Speed.  Anybody who watched may know what I mean.

Oh, and how in the hell did the North/South thing come into play HERE on this board?!  And the New York accent is off the Pier not the Backwoods.:p

i didnt get offended, just pointing out an insult
  Why point it out if you were not offended?

Still waiting on a reply about the IRS.....
And if for one minute you think circle track is better than road racing I dare you to say it to anyone who has high speed road race training.
Oh wait, you have.
Me.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

NASCAR fans

Reply #51
Quote from: ~AC;205292
the country parts of new york, and they had a worse backwoods accent than i did. i guess i've ran into too many redneck yankees?

C'mon up hereabouts, or even better head up to Schroon Lake. Friend's family has a 2nd house up there, I've been up a couple times, met some reallll interesting people. "Redneck yankees" oh yes they got some up there. All the people I met anyway were real nice. I gotta luv em.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

NASCAR fans

Reply #52
Quote from: EricCoolCats;205158
Oh when I hear that, I feel that there's more than a hint of resentment there. Honestly, I don't know what to think. I'm not in that "club". But...it's the South's problem, not mine. ;)

I wouldn't expect you to know what to think, you aren't in the club. And since club membership is invitation only, I doubt you ever will.

That is very true. There's plenty of inbreeding going on the in the North. Only difference is the greater number of teeth.

I can only hope that fluoride treatment spreads to the most remote hollows (pr0nounced hollers) so that they can reach equal status with their northern comrades.

But here's the thing...as a lifelong "Yank", the Southern thing has never, I repeat, NEVER been part of my daily life. I don't wake up every morning and wish that we could beat the living piss out of the South again. Now...tell me the opposite is true...

I see not being a part of the club leaves you clueless about what the "Southern thing" even is. But that's ok.
I personally don't wake up every morning and wish that Lee wouldn't have ordered Pickett to charge at Gettysburg. My Civil War reenactment group only meets once a week! Plus Gettysburg only comes once a year. Lastly, I have not received approval to arm our reenactors with BARs and the artillery with hybrid rockets. It's bull, I say!

Colonel Angus?
I thought you liked his close cousin, Annal Angus. ;)

Bah-da-BUM!

Sorry for pickin' on ya, Jeremy, it's all in good fun.
Unless you really do toss salads...

I'm afraid buttstuff Angus isn't welcome around these parts anymore, since the surgeries. I do miss him so. :(

NASCAR fans

Reply #53
Quote from: V8Demon;205293

Still waiting on a reply about the IRS.....

musta missed this wonderful tidbit! ;)
Quote from: ~AC;205044
IRS isnt needed in nascar.  besides, what happens to an IRS when you blow an axle at 150mph at 7500 rpm with about 800 hp?  i dont even want to imagine the protective plating and straps that would weigh the car down even more. 

apparently no one makes halfshafts strong enough for 800hp :rolleyes:

as far as FI goes. NASCAR could easily spec an intake and the associated programming. would probly be easier to find cheaters if they did. they just dont want to.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

NASCAR fans

Reply #54
LOL!  Yeah I DID miss that! I'll insert my foot in my mouth in that one:toilet: MMM tasty.:punchballs:

besides, what happens to an IRS when you blow an axle at 150mph at 7500 rpm with about 800 hp?

The same thing that happens with a solid one.  It requires repair.

i dont even want to imagine the protective plating and straps that would weigh the car down even more.

Plenty of high horsepower cars use IRS designed for those cars without putting on ridiculous amounts of heft.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

NASCAR fans

Reply #55
There's a company that does make stronger axles for the Cobra IRS. It's Force5 or something like that. From what I've been told, what usually breaks on them are the outer axle stubs as they are only 28 spline pieces. When I am able to, I will be upgrading my axles to them. Anyway...................

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

NASCAR fans

Reply #56
The IRS argument is BS. F1, CART, IRL, LeMans, and GT racing ALL use IRS and ALL go faster/farther/longer then NASCAR races. Please!

NASCAR died when hand-made bodies replaced production bodies. It's been a bore-fest ever since. Some promoter is going to put together a real series (probably the return of Trans-Am) where the cars feature their factory suspensions/engines/drivetrains/bodies and it will absolutely hogwash NASCAR into "distant memory".

NASCAR fans

Reply #57
Quote from: ~AC;205292
but this is kinda like ford vs chevy thing isnt it? lol.  it might not be racism, but it sure is discrimination.

So am I still a racist if I own a Chevy truck and a Ford coupe? :hick:

V8 Super Cars! NASCAR as it should have been. http://www.v8supercar.com.au/

Because oval track fans really only care about one thing. ;) http://youtube.com/watch?v=uw2c2NWxs1w

Just to point out, being called a racist is a pretty big insult.

NASCAR fans

Reply #58
Youse guys are so funny......

NASCAR fans

Reply #59
Wow, where did this thread go, lol.
Despite everyones opinion, I'm happy to say that I am a fan, and I was there for the 500.
They did a tribute to the past winners which was pretty cool seeing all the old cars on display and out on the track.

So yeah, put about 2200 trouble free miles on the Tib, spent a pays worth of money and had 3 full days of the Florida sun.