Skip to main content
Topic: Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11) (Read 138487 times) previous topic - next topic

Mid/low 13sec 5.0 project (new video and pics 7/11)

Reply #180
I swear, if my Cougar runs before your bird, I'm gonna drive up there myself and help you out, lol. :hick:

Reply #181
Haha well right now, I'm just gathering more money for the last few parts, and I'll be waiting on the machine shop for a while.  In the meantime, I'm just gonna clean everything up.  No reason not to.  Around Nov/Dec is when things should kick into gear; get the block back from the shop, build the engine, then do the swap.

Reply #182
Just finished messin with the valve covers; I'm really happy with how they came out.

Before:

After:

^My dad should be a foot model hahahaha

I left the oil fill tube shiny and unpainted; I think that provides a really nice contrast.  Can't wait to see the engine all together :) .

Reply #183
those dont look sandblasted!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #184
Haha, I ended up using the parts washer to get the grease off, and they cleaned up a lot better than I expected, so I figured I'd see how a coat of paint would look.  I may either sand it down or sand blast it anyway, but I wanted to see how they'd look and if I'd like the blue color.

Reply #185
scotch brite and carb cleaner works wonders. :)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #186
Hehe yeah, there's still plenty of time for me to polish everything up.  Got plenty of sandpaper in the garage.  I'll probably work on it tomorrow...and HOPEFULLY, the short block will be in the machine shop tomorrow.  Stupid hair cut appointment at 7pm is gonna throw things off though.

Reply #187
Quote from: kingcars;229786
Hehe yeah, there's still plenty of time for me to polish everything up.  Got plenty of sandpaper in the garage.  I'll probably work on it tomorrow...and HOPEFULLY, the short block will be in the machine shop tomorrow.  Stupid hair cut appointment at 7pm is gonna throw things off though.

I wish I had a garage to work in, I've been doing all my recent work in the mall parking lot... Everything is together but I just can't her to run, I got a thread in engine tech if you wanna take a look:hick:
I might yank my covers off and do the same as you, they look pretty good man...

Reply #188
Engine block, crank, and pistons are in now at the machine shop. The guy seemed happy with how the cylinder walls look, so there's a decent chance I won't need new pistons. The crank will definitely need to be cut and polished. He'll call me in a couple of weeks with what exactly needs to be done. Can't wait. Just glad to get the ball rolling on that.

Oh - and I'm seriously considering going T5.  As long as I get the right deals.

Reply #189
Just closed a deal on a whole bunch of T5 parts.  It is a 4cyl tranny however; don't flip out on me, it will NOT be seeing my new power plant (which is still 4-6 months away), nor will it be seeing any rough, hard driving.  I'll be selling my AOD setup, and begin looking for a sturdy V8 unit to accompany the new engine when it's ready.  For now, the 4cyl unit will serve as a tranny for me to learn on and help make my car a bit more fun to drive as I anxiously await the new engine.

Reply #190
want my t-5 from my stang? Make me a good offer and that will give me a reason to throw the 4 speed in! And give me money for rear gears!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #191
Thanks for making me a sweet deal, Mason!

I just put up a T5 swap list in the original post.  As you can see, I've wasted no time wheeling and dealing.  I should definitely have this swap done for right around my $500 budget.

Reply #192
get a pilot bearing from a 95 ford probe GT 5spd.

:D went down that road before.... yay! everybodys going 5spd.

Reply #193
What's better about the probe bearing?

Reply #194
Quote from: kingcars;231680
What's better about the probe bearing?

It lets you use the 4cyl. T5 behind a 5.0. :burnout:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo