Skip to main content
Topic: I really HATE the 2.3 !! (Read 24917 times) previous topic - next topic

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #45
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;200127
muhaha......  :evilgrin:.....  notice nobody has said anything about the sound of them?..... 

Watch the video clips I have in my sig and tell me my car sounds like a tractor.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #46
Quote from: Tbird232ci;200154

So explain to me why yours wasn't streetable, just couldn't drive it properly to get it into the torque bang?

um, shawn, why would you build something for the street that is a totally gut less piece of  in NON useabale street rpms?  and why would you try and argue with that fact?  to make ANY kind of power out of the 2.3L, stock OR done up, you have to really wind them out...  that ISN"T streetable, or condusive to reliability in ANY motor...  just because you CAN drive it froma short point to another doesnt make it streetable...  hell thats like saying those 6second stangs are street cars....  com'on give me a break...
  you raise a good point about the amount of power a SC sucks up, and makes me curious what the EXACT amount of boost is needed to overcome any drag, (IF there even is any at such low boost levels...) and start to make power...  Maybe I will email MM&FF and bring it up to them, see if they can do a dyno test for us...

Watch the video clips I have in my sig and tell me my car sounds like a tractor.

yep...  john deere..... with fart cannons... :p

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #47
You have to "wind out" a 2.3L turbo to make power?

Is 3000-6000 RPM winding it out?

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #48
maybe you v-8 preachers are right. Maybe I do need the other half..

If you want reliable 12's or faster?!! IMHO -- yes

Quote from: Gumby
most anyone with over 300rwhp should be near or making 400 at the crank

Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports
300rwhp through a T5 is not 400HP flywheel.

Quote from: Gumby
i didnt say it was.

Ummmm....you pretty much did...300 RWHP is around 360-380 through an AOD depending on parts used and the level of abuse it's taken...

Look, just show facts. It's a dead production engine and the question was posed as to whether it's still worth staying with a 2.3 or moving on to a 5.0/4.6/5.4/351/LS1/whatever. I'm maintaining that a swap is the right move, simply because a high-horsepower, reliable, daily-driver reliable 2.3T cannot be done at any price, let alone on the cheap.

Quote from: Tbird232ci
Aerobird, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I probably have the most abused 2.3 Turbo engine in my car. It had 130K on it when the previous owner put it in the gray car. He beat the living shiznit out of that car. He even told me how he was bounce the rev limiter in 4th gear, dump the clutch, race it around everywhere, and even told me to do some donuts when I test drove it. He put a good 30K on it

Shawn, your car makes a lot less power than his....

Quote from: Dominator
the stock 302 block(which actually displaces 299cid in stock form)
  Got #'s for that one....From what I know it's 302 C.I. and 4.94 liters.....

As for my opinion on the strength of a 5.0 block read here:
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showpost.php?p=142247&postcount=39

They need to be SET UP CORRECTLY

If you can tell me that bolting on a supercharger or a turbo, and creating 3psi is 100% free 30-40 horsepower,

Superchargers by nature have some parasitic loss....30-40 HP on a 5.0 @3PSI.....What RPM range are we taling?

My 4.6 has 6 PSI of boost and with tuning has over 100+ RWHP gain @ that 6PSI....

A turbo on a 5.0 @ 3 PSI will deffinetely show gains upwards of 40 HP...

Lastly: 
Even the anemic 4.6 makes me happier

Step away from the 2 valve, Step away from the 2 valve.  3 valve and boost FTW!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #49
Stop talking you evil V8Demon voice in my head, I can't hear you! Bla bla bla bla!

Seriously though, show me some real, street-driven, 400+HP 2.3T's. I was in that scene for over 5 years, drove a 300+HP one 10,000 miles in 18 months and I've never seen a higher HP one driven harder. Look, the 2.3's can MAKE power, NOBODY is saying otherwise. What we're saying is, 2.3's can NOT do it AND survive on the street (without direct influx of 1-off parts and cubic dollars, ala Huber's $100K Mustang), period.

If you want to go fast (12's or better in a full-weight, real car) and drive it everyday, the 2.3 is the bottom of the heap (OK, maybe the 3.8, but you get the point).

Look at the Top 25 here. The fastest 2.3T car is Sluggo at #8. Now his TC is bad ass, there's NO doubt about that. But call it like it is, a trailered race car. We've seen the pics, it's pretty gutted. The next one is Sleeper's in the 13's (very close to the 12's) and we all know how much lighter his car is. Ask him whether or not he likes that 305 Chevy better? Every other 2.3 car is a street car, and slow (yes I'm including myself).

Cougar5.0's car is the epitome of awesome street cars on here. I mean come on! 11's out of a full weight, full option Cougar with a blown small block! I can guarantee he has less money in that setup then most 13 second 2.3's.

Just the facts man, just the facts...

PS - They sound like a  tractor!

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #50
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;200174

Cougar5.0's car is the epitome of awesome street cars on here. I mean come on! 11's out of a full weight, full option Cougar with a blown small block! I can guarantee he has less money in that setup then most 13 second 2.3's.

Just the facts man, just the facts...

PS - They sound like a  tractor!

;)
Dont forget about 5.8fastcats ANIMAL!..  that thing is plain sick, AND streetable, as he showed at CJ...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #51
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;200174
The next one is Sleeper's in the 13's (very close to the 12's) and we all know how much lighter his car is. Ask him whether or not he likes that 305 Chevy better? Every other 2.3 car is a street car

My 2.3 would had went faster if i wasnt soo  lax on the boost It never seen over 15 psi at the track and I never sprayed it at the track I just was tired of spending money with what I will call a "little" return.I still like the 2.3 and for what they are there a hell of a strong motor.about 75% of 2.3 owners are unhappy because they seek the low end torque of a v8.

And yeah ive actually got to have more fun in general with the chebby  sometimes you have to remember your goals and what your willing to do to reach them in the ultimate scheme of life.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #53
Quote from: EricCoolCats;200195
2.3L...meh.

5.0L...bah.

Everyone knows the 3.8 is THE sleeper engine. Bow down to the almighty 3.8 V6!!!11!1!  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Only the CFI versions, of course. We don't need no stinking superchargers or split port induction muddling things up :shakeass:

*EDIT* Completely unrelated but I just noticed Cougars 2 Go's light sage green four-eye in the banner. Dayum, that's a nice car. The colour looks good with those BBS wheels. I wish I still had my green T-Bird...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #54
Quote from: EricCoolCats;200195
2.3L...meh.

5.0L...bah.

Everyone knows the 3.8 is THE sleeper engine. Bow down to the almighty 3.8 V6!!!11!1!  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Yeah if you don't mind replacing your hood hinges every week or two...

Isn't that about how long they last, with the amount of opening and closing necessary to keep one of those things going???

Quote from: dominator;200138
This  about the stock 302 block(which actually displaces 299cid in stock form) being weak is just that .
Nope actual displacement IS 301.5936 cu in...

Figure it yourself, works for any engine... Bore X Bore X Stroke X .7854 X # of cylinders...

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #55
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;200163
um, shawn, why would you build something for the street that is a totally gut less piece of  in NON useabale street rpms?  and why would you try and argue with that fact?  to make ANY kind of power out of the 2.3L, stock OR done up, you have to really wind them out...  that ISN"T streetable, or condusive to reliability in ANY motor...  just because you CAN drive it froma short point to another doesnt make it streetable...  hell thats like saying those 6second stangs are street cars....  com'on give me a break...

You want to get down and dirty, you only have to wind them up to launch them. You need to load the engine on the clutch to get it into boost to get any sort of 60ft time. Just like guys running a 2-step on ANY vehicle

Quote from:  V8Demon
Shawn, your car makes a lot less power than his....

That is just hearsay. He had faster parts, but it doesnt mean his car was faster. I had a buddy with a big valve, ported head, A237 cammed, hybrid turbo, worked over 2.3L, and I drove around him.

Parts dont make a car fast, a combo does, you of all people should know that.

Im growing very tired of this thread. Most of the people that have experience and knowledge on the 2.3L are staying quiet because theres no hope of winning against the typical "theres no replacement for displacement" argument. Catch me on the streets, I prove that argument wrong all the time.

If things go as planned, I'll have my TC and my red bird out at CJ. I probably wont have all of my planned mods for the TC done by then, but Ill let some of you drive it, and see how slow and unreliable it really is.
It's Gumby's fault.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #56
and to prove a point all those at CJ last year all know... eric's V6 could kill my 5.0

my V8 is slow. hell i drove alex's xr7 and it put a smile on my face... and that was after riding in gregg's tt351.

I dont get it... why bitch about equal power and somewhat better mileage? None of you guys remember the old saying "TNT comes in small packages" ? you only start talking shiznit about the 2.3 when someone has a problem with it! you see a built one that runs youre all oooooh and awwwwweing at it like its somthing precious.

thats all ive gotta say

oh yeah nb4lk.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #57
LOL i'll catch your little 2.3L on the streets any day man and make you look like you where standing still,hell i'll give ya a 5 car length head start in the 1/4 and still blow your doors clean off in my 3800lb full load car.
I love how you always think you know what your talking about shawn when you actually don't it makes me laugh lol.
This is why you and i got into it last time,because you truly don't know yet think you do and i get completely sick of it.
If you'd listen to half the people with far more experience than you with the 2.3L telling you that the 2.3L will never out perform the 5.0L and still be streetable then you might have a clue but since you won't maybe you should just go out and buy the board game.
And no big turbo's,big heads and big cams are not streetable in the FORD 2.3L without large money which is what i said earlier if you'd read which you don't,what are you like 18 get some experience????!!!

As for the 302 being 301cid i know i read that ford stated it was 299.8cid or something like that and it matches the displacement of the 4.9L inline 6 but since that displacement was already in use they had to bump it up to the public as a 5.0L so they would not get confused when buying a car as to what engine it had in it.
I'll try and find some info on that.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #58
Quote from: dominator;200212
LOL i'll catch your little 2.3L on the streets any day man and make you look like you where standing still,hell i'll give ya a 5 car length head start in the 1/4 and still blow your doors clean off in my 3800lb full load car.
I love how you always think you know what your talking about shawn when you actually don't it makes me laugh lol.
This is why you and i got into it last time,because you truly don't know yet think you do and i get completely sick of it.
If you'd listen to half the people with far more experience than you with the 2.3L telling you that the 2.3L will never out perform the 5.0L and still be streetable then you might have a clue but since you won't maybe you should just go out and buy the board game.
And no big turbo's,big heads and big cams are not streetable in the FORD 2.3L without large money which is what i said earlier if you'd read which you don't,what are you like 18 get some experience????!!!

You know what, youre a waste of time, you do nothing but run your mouth, and have nothing to back it up. You had a 2.3L that ran 17psi of boost. BIG DEAL. If YOU knew about the 2.3L, youd know that 17psi isnt dick. I was running 22psi, and was running the MPH for mid 13's with a STOCK head, a STOCK intake, a STOCK throttle body, a ranger roller cam, with an SC50, a log header, 3" exhaust, a fuel pump and a cold air intake.

I guess my buddies with big heads, big cams, big turbos, big injectors, gutted/knifed intakes, big throttle bodies, and headers have completely unstreetable daily drivers now don't they? A good friend of mine gets better gas mileage in his Turbo Coupe than his girlfriends Saturn! Guess thats unstreetable too. With all of this gibberish you talk about, it sounds like you're a GROWN MAN that needs some experience. I'm open minded, and I do my own homework, and I've had my hands in every part of a 2.3L other than building the bottom end and EEC tuning. I guess I have no experience now too.

I don't know what kind of picture you have painted of me in your head, but you better learn otherwise. I'm 22 years old, I've been in this scene for since I was 15 years old, I'm on my third Thunderbird, 2nd Turbo Coupe, and 3rd turbo car overall. If you weren't so full of yourself, you might actually see that I know what I'm talking about, especially since you gave up on your 2.3L because you couldn't make it work.

When did we get into it last? Oh wait, the fuel pump issue, thats right. And yes, I didn't know what was going on. I fixed the issue, and because you were such a prick about that issue, I've done everything to avoid you. I don't care how knowledgeable you think you are, I do not and will not listen to your gibberish.

In other words, do YOUR homework before you try to insult someone over their age and experience. And grow up, you are not top dog in this forum, you've just spent more money than most of everyone else.
It's Gumby's fault.

I really HATE the 2.3 !!

Reply #59
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;200211
and to prove a point all those at CJ last year all know... eric's V6 could kill my 5.0

my V8 is slow.

hell we know that....  ask cluade if he would mess with a white XR-7, with it again.... ;):evilgrin: :D

In other words, do YOUR homework before you try to insult someone over their age and experience. And grow up, you are not top dog in this forum, you've just spent more money than most of everyone else.

wrong shawn, he probably has less in that combo then you do NOW in you TC...  I know the car and the power it has...  Chris does know his shiznit you just wont listen to it...  and all that shiznit in those cars....  garauntee they dont run smooth all the time...  Chris' car runs and drives like the day it came from the factory....  as was said, just becasue some people DO drive them like that, DOES make it a streetable combo...  90% over the people out there expect there DD to be a noproblem, get in and drive anywheres car, with NO issues...  Garauntee yours wont be that way when you are done...  and I would like to see the video clips of your TC running with these done up cars before I say anything about that..

com'on guys this is a good debate thread...  lets keep it clean and keep it from getting locked...  there is a lot of decent facts from both sides on here right now....