Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160539 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #990
Started to do the nasty,
Here's just some random pics and things that need to be repaired while I was working today.

Had to cut the bolts off

Some pics of my broken springs

I should be able to finish taking everything apart sometime this weekend if evertthing goes good
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #991
You taking the k member off jerry?????
Was thinking since you've gone this far...... might as well do everything.
Replace or at least check and clean up the k-member bolts and rust proof the frame rail where it rests up on the k-memeber.

Reply #992
Quote from: dominator;258867
You taking the k member off jerry?????
Was thinking since you've gone this far...... might as well do everything.
Replace or at least check and clean up the k-member bolts and rust proof the frame rail where it rests up on the k-memeber.

Yep, Everything's coming apart and off. New bolts, sleeves, and added reinforcing where all the weld joints, and stress points are. And of course repairing the holes. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #993
I'm so proud of you (get's all teary eyed).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #994
LOL, I'm gonna rebuild it Oklahoma style. (rust free)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #995
Yeeeeee-Haaaaaaaw !!!!!!!! LOL.Seriously,I think you've done a great job on a car that most others would have discarded.I feel the same about my Sport.It was a salvage yard geting ready for the crusher.Now,by no means was it in the condition yours was,but,it did need a ton of work.You gotta love 'em.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #996
Got some more apart today
I tried the spring compressor, but the springs had so many breaks in them and so compressed that there was almost no space on the insides of the springs to get the compressor on.
So I did it the manly way. Yep, you guessed it. I used the floor jack.

And here's the aftermath

and the other side

I finally got to use my lug wrench after 20 years.
I used it to pry the springs out. LOL

Here's how much shorter the springs are after they broke. This explains so many weird crunching noises up front. LOL

a couple random pics of todays work

I can't believe there's still paint in there

So I ended up cutting the top nuts off the struts to get the springs out. I figured it was time to replace them. after all they were still factory. Next is to remove the arms and blast the rest of the front end. Then start the metal work and get it ready for paint.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #997
Wow.................just wow.I've never sen a rusted broken spring before.That's crazy.As far as the car as a whole,would you say the hardest part is over,and now it's the little stuff?

Reply #998
The floor and the trunk were the hardest part of the car.
Hunting for parts and panels and doors was the 2nd hardest part of all this. This part of the project is where you start to see that little flicker of light in the tunnel, and know that's the way to head to get to the end. There's not a lot of repairing on the front end, and it's not in an awkward upside down position either. And I still have enough sheetmetal left over to do the repairs also. the rest of the repairs should be a breeze, and the body work and painting is what I'm really good at, so things should start to fly shortly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #999
this view will come in handy when doing the v8 fuel lines.  those are the lines running from left under the skirt to the right up into the engine bay.

Reply #1000
You sure those are stang springs? they look bigger in the pic.
Good job with man handling the springs.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1001
I pulled those springs out of the Stang (which was a be-yotch).They didn't have the help to lift the car,so,I had to scrounge around for some scissor jacks (odd,most were gone),and drop the a-frames and yank them out.'99 Stang.I'm installing the same ones in the Sport when weather warms up a little.I'm going to take a couple of extra days off work to mess with the car.Probably next week.

Reply #1002
don't forget that my spring was broken 3 times and came out of a v-6 car
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #1003
Ok I see 99 stang.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #1004
What would be the difference between them and stock springs in my car? anyone know?
Raise it? lower it?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook