Skip to main content
Topic: Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014 (Read 1160686 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Evolution *** Project Complete **** Wednesday July 9, 2014

Reply #855
The entire kit cost $60 bolts and all.
probably be worth while to mod the kit. the lowers have an angle on them that fit perfectly on ours. Just needed to add an inch to the bottoms. a little grinding on the upper plates and some hammer smashing to make them fit better.
Seems the upper section of floor has more curve on a mustang. nothing a little more hammering didn't solve for the inside upper plates.
also... the bolts just made it on the uppers. had to leave the locking washers off to get the nuts to thread. I may tack weld them to keep them from loosening.
I also had to redrill a couple new holes through the upper boxes to get the kit to line up. 1 hole, through about 4 thicknesses of metal

to sum it up.........
knowing this info, it would be easy with the kit. Going in blind not knowing any of this probably added 4-5 hrs to my install.
the 2nd side went a lot faster then the first. mabe less then half the time
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #856
OK, that makes sense.  I was under the impression they were more expensive.  thanks.
1987 TC

Reply #857
Today I finished up the battle boxes.
I'm not planning on racing, but for the amount of rust that was on my car, and all the floor replacing, I decided it was best to put these in. You never know........

Here's a better view underneath

The rusty bolt is just to line up the holes

All sealed and ready to paint

Next on the list is tank brackets

The area where the strap fastens to the bracket isn't on yet.
I have an idea about that, and I'm going to wait until I put the tank up to make sure they're in the correct place on the bracket.

That's all for today...
Installing the rear should be the next project. The springs are on the way. Of course I have to put another coat of paint under there first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #858
There's a couple of hours of light left, don't quit yet!
I can say I touched that car!. I think I'm special!.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #859
Frickin sweet jerry,you again are da MAN..

Reply #860
Sweet man!!!
I need to do a set of those battle boxes, I think one of mines bent from my accident....
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #861
LOL All that welding and you left the seat belts in. You're either that skilled at welding or very brave. ;)

Reply #862
Amazing! Just like every time I look at it.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #863
Yeah what a job this thing's gonna be just bombproof when it's done. If it ever even develops a SPECK of rust IM gonna be pissed nevermind you jerry :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #864
LOL
Eric, I couldn't get those bolts to budge, so I said forget it.
I can't believe I didn't start anything on fire either.
The package tray carpet and the headliner are still in too. Not to mention the drivers seat was still in while I did the entire passenger side.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #865
And to answer the question.
"Lucky" is the word were looking for.  :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #866
What's funny is that all you need to do is heat up the bolts from underneath the car with a torch, while someone else is inside the car cranking away with the Torx bit. Bolts will come right out then.

Unless the seat belts catch on fire first...

Reply #867
YES!

I cant find the "track" comment in here but Im sure most of you remember someone suggested tank tracks.

I have the solution to everything! Oddly enough it comes from a post of Jerry's

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=22562
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #868
I heated the outer bolts up to get them out, but I got some warpage and melting on the belt plastic covers, so I didn't chance melting the inners. I wasn't replacing anything around there anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #869
Today's update
finished painting today. Just need to replace the lines and take the rest of the driveshaft off. Also need new lug bolts.
I wire wheeled the end of the shaft, and used pickelx to protect it from rusting

So now that I took the time to remove and paint the sway bar, I got to ask............... Will it fit using CHE arms? Or do I need to make something to connect them together?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook