Skip to main content
Topic: European Fords (Read 5791 times) previous topic - next topic

European Fords

Reply #45
Quote from: stuntmannick;191199
I personally have a hard time considering buying a car unless it's a stick.  Out of the 20+ cars I've owned ~90% were sticks and the only autos were deals I couldn't pass up.

same here, my tbird is the first auto car ive purchased in 4 years and it was too good(for me) to pass up. i do long for another manual trans in my life again:burnout:

as for cvt transmissions, my friends civic has it and he seems to like it for the combination of decent fuel econ. and snappy shifting. doesnt replace a manual trans that you shift for yourself in my opinion
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

European Fords

Reply #46
I wanted a manual... I was denied! But the 5R55E 5-Speed auto doesn't make me hate life. At least it does what it's told when the shifter is not in "D". The shifter itself sucks. But the trans is nice. I've rode in an auto pony with a mild tune and it's pretty sweet. Nothing replaces rowing your own gears though. And my left foot is getting lonely.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

European Fords

Reply #47
Quote from: oldraven;190885

How many of us know people under 35 who want a manual tranny? Most, by my count. These are the same people who for the most part don't even have domestic cars on their radar. When young people buy performance oriented cars, they're looking for at least 5 gears to row their own.

All my friends who have recently got there license(guys) have all mostly wanted standards, for the fun of it. We like them cause we can pop in the clutch, chuck a rev, and dump it!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

European Fords

Reply #48
Quote from: oldraven;191210
Now how are CVT's with regards to fuel economy? Better or worse than manuals? We may be getting one this weekend, and I'm wondering if I should wait until I can find a 5-spd version.

I think CVT's are slightly better on fuel than standards because they don't have the parasitic losses of an automatic and they're supposedly always in the ideal "gear" (a CVT allows an engine to operate at a higher throttle opening for a given speed, reducing pumping losses). That being said, though, some of them have some serious durability issues (don't even think of getting a Saturn VUE with the CVT, although any dealership that's stuck with one might just about give it to you just to get rid of it). They've also got horrible "feel" - the engine RPM's don't connect with road speed, and it just feels weird. Car magazines call the effect "motorboating" because the engine actually feels and sounds like an outboard motor.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

European Fords

Reply #49
Quote from: oldraven;191163

:barf:

I wouldn't buy a Vic but for some reason the Marauders do it for me. I don't know why but I've always wanted one............
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

European Fords

Reply #50
Quote from: thunderjet302;191253
…for some reason the Marauders do it for me. I don't know why but I've always wanted one............

Me too.  Add a Trilogy supercharger while you are at it.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

European Fords

Reply #51
Quote from: SSX;191258
Me too.  Add a Trilogy supercharger while you are at it.

Oh hell yeah :D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

European Fords

Reply #52
Quote from: Chuck W;191195
The only auto car I have (out of 4) is my euro Ford, the Scorpio...and I HATE it (the trans, not the car).  One of ths things on the project list is to swap out the A4LD for a T5.
The only thing slowing that down is I need to mod the trans to get the shifter in the right spot, but it WILL happen.

Did the XR4ti have the same trans? That would explain why my friend's tranny would always catch fire...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

European Fords

Reply #53
Quote from: Quietleaf;191272
Did the XR4ti have the same trans? That would explain why my friend's tranny would always catch fire...

No, the XR4Ti used the T9 manual and the C3 auto. 
The Scorpio did use the T9 manual trans, but they were VERY rare over here, most were auto with the A4LD.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

European Fords

Reply #54
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;191245
I think CVT's are slightly better on fuel than standards
The CVT models have equal or less mpg than their manual variants from the cases I've looked at (Saturn VUE, Ford 500), except for the Nissan Altima 3.5.

European Fords

Reply #55
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;191245
I think CVT's are slightly better on fuel than standards because they don't have the parasitic losses of an automatic and they're supposedly always in the ideal "gear" (a CVT allows an engine to operate at a higher throttle opening for a given speed, reducing pumping losses). That being said, though, some of them have some serious durability issues (don't even think of getting a Saturn VUE with the CVT, although any dealership that's stuck with one might just about give it to you just to get rid of it). They've also got horrible "feel" - the engine RPM's don't connect with road speed, and it just feels weird. Car magazines call the effect "motorboating" because the engine actually feels and sounds like an outboard motor.

Funny you should say that. :hick: Tomorrow I will be joining you in the world of dent resistant side panels. I would have waited for a 5-spd, but today our Jeep decided it didn't need tranny fluid to run anymore, and the one we're looking at (I've been researching the larger of the cute-utes and crossovers for about six months now, and we were planning on buying in March, but today happened), is optioned out, has the factory warranty until August, 81,000 klicks and in Truro. I've been living with 16mpg for far too long, so it's exactly what you said. A 4-cyl awd CVT.

Everything I've read about their CVT so far has been praise, saying it's one of the few that work properly, staying at peak torque and losing the false shifting that convinces misguided drivers that thier 'automatic' is working properly. I just looked it up on fueleconomy.gov, and it had a disadvantage to the 5-spd, but that's probably because the AWD doesn't come with a stick. I guess I missed that detail.

Anyway, this will be my second CVT, and I had a lot of luck with the first one, even though everyone swears it should have blown up.

"First off, the continuously variable transmission is a wonderful step forward from previous attempts. It is designed to keep the engine always in its power band for most any given speed. It does that. It's actually kind of weird, since the tach will often stay at the same rev mark yet the vehicle keeps accelerating. It's very smooth and quiet, but it doesn't transform the four-cylinder engine it's mounted to into a screamer. No doubt the CVT extracts more oomph from the four-banger than a conventional automatic, but it's still no barn-burner."

Ok, I have to stop doing this to threads.

European Fords

Reply #56
Quote from: Ether947
But the 5R55E 5-Speed auto doesn't make me hate life
  Your Mustang, like mine,  has a 5R55S.  You wouldn't want the E.

With Diamler pumping out 7 speed autos and now Lexus with an 8 speed self-shifter it just shows that finally companies are paying attention to the fact that most auto equipped cars forego a bit of gas mileage and efficiency and this is a step in the right direction to help counter that a bit.  Had the auto in my Mustang had 4 gears instead of 5 there is absolutely no way I would have purchased it with an auto.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

European Fords

Reply #57
Quote from: oldraven;191298
Funny you should say that. :hick: Tomorrow I will be joining you in the world of dent resistant side panels. I would have waited for a 5-spd, but today our Jeep decided it didn't need tranny fluid to run anymore, and the one we're looking at (I've been researching the larger of the cute-utes and crossovers for about six months now, and we were planning on buying in March, but today happened), is optioned out, has the factory warranty until August, 81,000 klicks and in Truro. I've been living with 16mpg for far too long, so it's exactly what you said. A 4-cyl awd CVT.

Everything I've read about their CVT so far has been praise, saying it's one of the few that work properly, staying at peak torque and losing the false shifting that convinces misguided drivers that thier 'automatic' is working properly. I just looked it up on fueleconomy.gov, and it had a disadvantage to the 5-spd, but that's probably because the AWD doesn't come with a stick. I guess I missed that detail.

Anyway, this will be my second CVT, and I had a lot of luck with the first one, even though everyone swears it should have blown up.

"First off, the continuously variable transmission is a wonderful step forward from previous attempts. It is designed to keep the engine always in its power band for most any given speed. It does that. It's actually kind of weird, since the tach will often stay at the same rev mark yet the vehicle keeps accelerating. It's very smooth and quiet, but it doesn't transform the four-cylinder engine it's mounted to into a screamer. No doubt the CVT extracts more oomph from the four-banger than a conventional automatic, but it's still no barn-burner."

Ok, I have to stop doing this to threads.

DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!!!!

The Saturn Vue VTI (what they call their CVT) has almost a 100% failure rate. Check out saturnfans.com. Some examples:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102828&highlight=vti
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109944
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109214&highlight=vti
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101237&highlight=vti
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99162&highlight=vti

...and so on.

Just don't want you to get boned on your VUE the way I did on my Volvo (I, too, had heard nothing but good about Volvos until I bought one, then found out the hard way that 98-00 AWD Volvos were absolute )
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

European Fords

Reply #58
Edmunds Inside Line is watching the FTBCB! Just as we're sitting here talking about how Ford needs to bring us the Mondeo, IL says the same a few days later!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=123824?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..3.*

I'll address the Saturn thing in a new thread. (and we all know that only means one thing)

European Fords

Reply #59
The Mondeo is very shagy, i also noticed when going through the pictures that they haven't changed the trunk configuration from the 99 cougars/contour. I wonder if they would try and tack the Contour name back on it, and if it is successful maybe another FWD cougar??