Skip to main content
Topic: AOD or C4 or C6 (Read 3618 times) previous topic - next topic

AOD or C4 or C6

what tranny should i get for a 350RWHP motor?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #1
Well, you won't break a C6..however, it's known for sucking up major HP...a C4 will work nicely if you don't need overdrive...but in my opinion, an AOD is the best way to go...it doesn't take much to make'em strong.  If you want even more fun, switch to a T-5.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #2
Get an AOD out of a supercoupe if you can find one,they where built a bit better (A servo,etc) to handle over 300ftlbs of torque down low from the supercharged 6cyl.
They are however hard to find,i have one but it's in my winter driver 91SC LOL.

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #3
A common upgrade for the AOD is a C6 input shaft...that will eliminate your lock-up however...hardened input shafts are also available.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #4
I'm a firm believer in staying the hell away from an AOD.  If you want overdrive go with a 5 speed.  You'll never regret it.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #5
A 5 speed is always more fun but keeping it auto is allot easier.
My AOD was made from Lentech it can hold up to 700 hp.

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #6
If i had 1000+ for an AOD and converter like a lentech setup I'd be happy.  But for a budget build I believe AOD's suck. 

If going with a carb stay away from an AOD.  Go 5 speed.  The TV linkage is a bitch without spending 200 bucks on throttle brackets and cables.

Also a 5 speed isn't hard to do.  The tranny crossmember is reusable.  All you need is tranny, pedals and clutch cable, blockplate, clutchkit, flywheel, and starter.  You may have to chopsaw the driveshaft But i'm not sure on that.

Anyway, I'm still going to say an AOD is  unless you buy a GOOD rebuilt one, and a nice converter.  Or manual valve body.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:

Project Thread with pics

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #7
Quote from: Innes;190573
A 5 speed is always more fun but keeping it auto is allot easier.
My AOD was made from Lentech it can hold up to 700 hp.

How is that Lentech AOD? I've been thinking about getting one because all the auto trans shops around me don't know shiznit about performance AOD builds :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #8
AOD can hold up to 1500Flywheel HP.  Not cheap.

T-5 Stock can only handle about 350-400 torque.

Flip a coin.

AOD with a aftermarket V/Band a harden input shaft can handle450-500 pretty easy.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #9
Quote from: blu84302;190591
.  But for a budget build I believe AOD's suck. 

AOD all the way... Been beating on a 3.8 SC version for 7+ years... Other than a Trans-Go shift kit and hardened shaft, it's stock(never apart)... Yea it's due for a freshening up, but I been saying that for three years...

If you drive the car any distance there's no decision, AOD...

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #10
AOD From SC + Shift Kit + Tranny Cooler + High Stall Torque converter + Lokar TV cable assy. = A good setup. 

A stock aod with stock converter behind any 5.0 = JUNK!

If you put money into it then yes, I like AOD's.  Maybe I'm just bitter that the one I put into my project turned out to be a turd.  I've given up on AOD's in general.  I want a 5 speed next.

On my motor which probably doesn't make more than 250HP I'll go with a 5 speed.  Simple, reliable, and fun.

If I ever build a beast then I may consider an all out performance AOD.  But never again will I put a stock AOD into a t-bird.

Project Thread with pics

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;190637
How is that Lentech AOD? I've been thinking about getting one because all the auto trans shops around me don't know shiznit about performance AOD builds :hick:

Very happy w/it funny story is the trany was in my car at one time back in 2000-2001 till the guy pulled it and sold the car to the guy I bought the car from. He became a friend of mine then one day we were talking when we realized it. Back in 2000 when he bought the trany it was the AOD street terminator plus aod think he paid like 3800 w/the converter from them. It’s rated for 700 hp but if you get that exact trany from them today it’s rated for 1000 hp. I like the o/d delete switch. On your stock shifter 1 is 1gear, D is 2nd gear, and O/D is 3rd gear. When you want o/d just switch the switch. Shifts firm and clean all gears but 3 and o/d going back and forth on the highway is a little rough. The stall converter is a 2800 stall really haven’t got a chance to play w/that properly because my rebuilt motor only has 400 miles on it and the car needs back tires.

heres a link to my trany
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/plustrans.html
and lentech
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodhome.html

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #12
Quote from: Innes;190938
Very happy w/it funny story is the trany was in my car at one time back in 2000-2001 till the guy pulled it and sold the car to the guy I bought the car from. He became a friend of mine then one day we were talking when we realized it. Back in 2000 when he bought the trany it was the AOD street terminator plus aod think he paid like 3800 w/the converter from them. It’s rated for 700 hp but if you get that exact trany from them today it’s rated for 1000 hp. I like the o/d delete switch. On your stock shifter 1 is 1gear, D is 2nd gear, and O/D is 3rd gear. When you want o/d just switch the switch. Shifts firm and clean all gears but 3 and o/d going back and forth on the highway is a little rough. The stall converter is a 2800 stall really haven’t got a chance to play w/that properly because my rebuilt motor only has 400 miles on it and the car needs back tires.

heres a link to my trany
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/plustrans.html
and lentech
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodhome.html

Neat :D . Any idea how much they cost now?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

AOD or C4 or C6

Reply #13
Quote from: thunderjet302;190958
Neat :D . Any idea how much they cost now?

Still around 3200-4000...build one as tough for 1/4 the price if you feel like doing it yourself...lol.

Got C-6 going AOD

Reply #14
I have a c-6 behind my 302ho,right now,but am going aod because I have 3.73's. Really need lower rpms cruisin. I liked c-6 with 351c but now want aod because making alot less hp,and I drive it alot when its not snowing,and maybe then I could do more than a 110mph=5500rpm. Wow thats buzzing for 110,aod 130+ I hope. Enough said later!!!!!!!!!!:burnout:
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)