Skip to main content
Topic: Import a Canadian Cat (Read 1966 times) previous topic - next topic

Import a Canadian Cat

Anyone know if a Canadian 1988 Cougar is compliant with US Emissions and Safety regulations?

If it is, how much of a PITA is it to buy and they drive it home and register it in the US?

Thanks

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #1
I believe the emmission are the same ,Changing the title from
Canada to US could be a hassle.Some one else on the border can answer better.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #2
On another forum that I am on, that same question was asked and this was the answer from someone that has actually done it.

"...Not a big deal if the car originally was sold in Canada since they had the same safety and smog stuff that's required in the US...work through a customs broker. It'll cost $150 or so, but well worth it. They know what forms need filled out and how to do it. It struck me as sort of a bribe/payoff type thing, but very effective and time saving. With the skids so greased, I slid into the US without even an inspection or glance by Customs. I could have been driving an entirely different car loaded with whatever I wanted."

The only issue that you may run into is if it is a XR-7. They may make you change the speedo to one that is a MPH dominant one.

Brent
:cougarsmily:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #3
Quote from: BCA;189521
They may make you change the speedo to one that is a MPH dominant one.

freaking americans. WHen you import a car to canada you don't have to change it to KMS. That's useless especially because it already has the MPH on it.. Way to keep the metric system down:shakeass:

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #4
Quote from: baxo;189563
freaking americans. WHen you import a car to canada you don't have to change it to KMS. That's useless especially because it already has the MPH on it.. Way to keep the metric system down:shakeass:

But Alex, change is bad. We all know that. :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #5
By Gawd, ye'll NOT take away my miles! :hick:
:D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #6
I don't think the US requires MPH to be above KPH, if they're both viewable from the driver's seat and the position of the officer that pulled you over for going 100 mph instead of 100 kph.

I did hear Nancy Pelosi wanted to change that.... just to piss off one of our allies.

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #7
it's just another one of those half-assed, pointless laws that really throws a wrench in the works and slows down the process as a whole. here in davis county, utah, the emissions laws say that your vehicle can't have a motor bigger than factory option. my 1977 429ci f150 (stock size is 351 can only be registered as a farm vehicle (for some reason farmers don't have to obey that). but i don't have a farm so i can't register it at all in davis county. however, if i move to tooele county since they have no emissions laws, i could register it just fine.
It's always fun until someone loses an eye. then it's fun ya can't see.

-James Hetfield back when metallica was still making good music.

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #8
Quote from: xjeffs;189595
if they're both viewable from the driver's seat and the position of the officer that pulled you over for going 100 mph instead of 100 kph.

why would that matter unless the officer was in the car 2 see the position of the needle at the time of speeding? see what i mean? retarded laws!!
It's always fun until someone loses an eye. then it's fun ya can't see.

-James Hetfield back when metallica was still making good music.

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #9
A speedo is an easy thing to change.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #10
I never gave that a thought if i bought a car from Canada.I guess I wouldn't notice if it was mph or kmh. I ended up learning the conversion being only 5 min from the border. almost all the stuff I watch and listen to is from Ontario. Right now its 7 deg. C. in Buffalo
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #11
the only things they care about is the safety equipment and emmissions related  are brought up to u.s. standards for the year of production. we could sit here all day talking about what needs to be done but the only ones who will be able to confirm for you what "really" needs to be done is someone who already has done this legally or a registered importer.
i had links for all this stuff but cant find any of them:mad:

i dont remember when they started this(2002 i think) but all cars produced in the u.s. and canada meet the same requirements
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #12
If no one finds out by fri. i'll ask someone i'm seeing on fri. they live in Canada and U.S. they will probably know about the situation
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #13
Digital speedo? Push the E/M button.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Import a Canadian Cat

Reply #14
Quote from: daminc;189635
If no one finds out by fri. i'll ask someone i'm seeing on fri. they live in Canada and U.S. they will probably know about the situation

Thanks, it appears that no one knows the whole deal.