Skip to main content
Topic: NY road salt (Read 3347 times) previous topic - next topic

NY road salt

So on my first post I commented on how bad the winter salt was in the western NY area. Most of you were quite surprised at how much salt gets used, and how many months out of the year it's on the road.

To make a long story short. I was driving to Cleveland on saturday to meet up with flstci71 on his parts transport. when I realized that the roads were recently paved in NY. and you'll never guess what color they were. You got it. WHITE

Thats the official start of NY cars starting to rust for the season.

So, if its like any other year, and 7 out of 10 years it snows on mother's day, that would make the official salt count at 6 months out of the year. So if you think about it. My car shouldn't look as good as it does for being a daily driver in Buffalo NY

Yes, as some of you figured. I had a little to much time on my hands to write about salt.  :cougarsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

NY road salt

Reply #1
Have you guys already started to get snow? Or are they just "pre-salting" or something for whenever it starts?

I have serious thoughts about moving south when Im older, or finding out which state in this area of the country doesnt dump so much you hear it crunching under the tires! :mad:

Snow on Mother's Day, huh? Well thats a problem as you said 6 months out of the year, salt on the road for that long is gonna be hell on any car. People must keep cars for 5 or 6 years out there!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

NY road salt

Reply #2
ZondaC12 are you still driving the 20th as a DD? You NEED to get it off the road if they salt that much in NY.:hick:  In Chicago the roads go white in the begining of December and stay that way till about mid March. Then we get a good rain and it washes all the salt away. Sometimes it's nice to have a big lake next to you moderating the temps in th spring time:D

Oh ZondaC12 you need to get an MN-12 Cougar as a DD. That way you can still drive a Cat but it's not a FOX so who cares if winter fvcks it up :hick: (That's why I got a 95 Bird).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

NY road salt

Reply #3
Well thats why the last 2 winters have SUCKED for me. I used it as a DD for all of my senior year of hs. I swore that would be the last winter. It was alright, just a little perforation in the lower right rear qtr panel. Had my cousin whos runnin a bodyshop take care of that recently.

Last winter I took it out probably on somewhere between 5 and 10 occassions when I was home from school for the weekend. 2 MAYBE 3 of which there was actual snow on the ground. That was enough to make the qtr panel significantly worse and start some very visible bubbling on the top of the front left fender, where the metal is straight up and down. This surface was perfect the fall before.

Mom wont let me get a beater. Too many cars at the house. It just wont happen. She has however agreed to let me use her '02 explorer (got an 07 civic in june to save on gas, looks like a good move!) when she doesnt need it, this winter. So last winter SHOULD be THE last winter it will ever see. Maybe by next winter I can convince her to let me get something else, take this off the road for the winter and put that on.

The underside of my car is pretty good. From maybe the driver's door forward its great. In back the usual brown axle and frame members but nothing beyond surface. At some point Ill post up pics of the latest find which is BAD. About 1/2" at its widest, 3" long, HOLE in my floorpan, right below the driver's right heel. I wanted to smash somehting when I found this recently. Ive decided Im going to try and patch it up. Ive got sheetmetal, and my cousin told me to get some urethane glue, which is exactly what he used with the qtr panel. Apparently a lot of new car panels are assembled that way he says.

So the thing will be alright, but it cant be used in the winter ANYmore. I see the other fenders starting, and not to mention yet ANOTHER issue...drivers door bottom lookin bad. No perforation but on its way. Gonna clean that up soon.

Somehow Im guessing this car has not seen 20 winters. Maybe half that. Dad always borrowed my grandparents' chevy conversion van for somewhat decent traction. :hick:

Yeah as we all know salt is HELL on these things, Ive found that out firsthand. I almost wish I hadn't found out the production numbers of this car and that I could speed up my 5.0. At one time I did NOT care about this car, I wanted only the '38 to be in my possession for my entire life. So its a bad situation, but I can't help it. I now love it way too much so I gotta figure something out so I can keep this car from needing a full restoration someday when it's not a DD. :(
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

NY road salt

Reply #4
There was snow fri  near the PA. border and a little in Niagara falls but nothing acspoogeulated in the falls. Pa. had enough snow to plow parking lots and the roofs were covered with a couple inches. But theres no salt in PA. the roads were black when I crossed the line.

My E-250 and Monte are both 2003s. and theres rust on the frame of my van and rear wheel wells of my wife's Monte already. I'll have to fix that before it gets worse.

My cougar started rusting real bad from the mud flaps. and spread like a fever from there. If you look at my pics you can see a rust pattern from the flaps out across the panels.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

NY road salt

Reply #5
I live on long island they use more sand then salt though in NYC they use to much salt sounds the same as by you, thank god it don’t snow that much.
When I go upstate not that far (by you) but I noticed it was mostly sand I guess by you its different.

NY road salt

Reply #6
No salt here yet but it's coming soon.

I'm surprised it hasn't snowed here yet but I figure it's not too far off.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

NY road salt

Reply #7
Quote from: daminc;187112
  Most of you were quite surprised at how much salt gets used, and how many months out of the year it's on the road.  :cougarsmily:

-funny,  down here we use salt on our food.....:hick:
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

NY road salt

Reply #8
Buffalo and Niagara falls are bad for salt. most of the neighboring towns use sand mixed with salt. The I-90 from PA. to NYC is heavily salted also.

Its even worse for me. because I live right in front of the town garage. A salter goes past my house every 10 min. But my road is always clear, even during the worst storms.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

NY road salt

Reply #9
You should see Michigan. They don't know what plows are, all they can spell is s-a-l-t.

NY road salt

Reply #10
What in the world is a snow plow????? why do you put salt on the roads???? why do your winters last longer than 2 1/2 months??????  LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,    sorry guys love it down here......

NY road salt

Reply #11
Quote from: tbirddmnd;187620
You should see Michigan. They don't know what plows are, all they can spell is s-a-l-t.

Right. Ill never spend more than $300 on a car from michigan for that reason.  Im sooo lucky my TC has no frame rot that I can tell but the shadow has been a detroit car its whole life and the frame rail in the rear is rusted through nasty. Its an 80,000 mile car with no body rust. The underbody actually looks really clean except theres a few spots of rust.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

NY road salt

Reply #12
Quote from: screaming306;187660
What in the world is a snow plow????? why do you put salt on the roads???? why do your winters last longer than 2 1/2 months??????  LOL,LOL,LOL,LOL,    sorry guys love it down here......

No snow?--- EVER--What do you use to make a snowman?

There's nothing like leaving the house in the morning. Taking a good breath of air when its -10 out and feeling the hair in your nose shatter from the cold. lol.

And then you proceed to find your car in the driveway (it's somewhere, you remember getting out of it last night) so you grab your trusty shovel and head to the big snow hill in the driveway and you start to dig.

DiG  DiG  DiG  DiG DiG and dig  (there's the door)
you crawl in and pray the battery isn't dead. You turn the key and hear RRRRR  RRRRRR  RRRRR  and it just has enough charge to start the car.----VICTORY you scream.  But thats just the start, because you now have to dig the car out. But thats OK because it will take the same amount of time for the car to warm up.

1 car battery a year $59.99
Winter in Buffalo  ---Priceless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

NY road salt

Reply #13
daminc, what the hell makes you think that is fun ?????? the worst winter we had was some snow flurries that melted as soon as they hit the ground.  now that is cold for us.

NY road salt

Reply #14
Quote from: screaming306;187774
daminc, what the hell makes you think that is fun ?????? the worst winter we had was some snow flurries that melted as soon as they hit the ground.  now that is cold for us.

keep it up your g people off:beatyoass: