Skip to main content
Topic: Project: Fast-4-Cheap (Read 4995 times) previous topic - next topic

Project: Fast-4-Cheap

Introducing the "latest" project. Fast-4-Cheap! It's a 1984 TBird Turbo Coupe (4-eye :D ) that was rescued. Some TF guy bought it running and driving, and tore out the engine and wiring for another ho-hum 87-93 Mustang swap (booooooring). He was ready to part it out and send it to the crusher. Too bad we got in the way!

It's got the vinyl interior with Halo's, factory 2-tone paint, and not much else. Dual manual seats even! It is a 5-Speed car too ;)

So, John (ThunderCougarFalconGoat) and I are in 50/50 on it. Our goal is the lowest possible ET for the lowest possible $$$ outlay. Obviously this means V8 and LOTS of nitrous ;)

The initial goal is to get the 5.0 from my Sport (step dad didn't want it, he scored a 351!) and get it in and running so we can drive the car. Our total outlay (after selling spares) is $0 so far! All we really "need" is a Mustang T5 and a clutch kit.

So, look here for lots of updates! We plan on racing all of next season at PIR (you're going down Ted!!! :hick: ). As time wears on it will get nicer and nicer parts. The "final" iteration is up in the air, but we do want to paint it next winter, and the "final" engine may be a 351 based stroker all the way to some form of BB Ford.

We're sticking with Ford power on this one (the only other engine we'd even remotely consider right now is my AMC 401 just because, NO Chevy's in this one, that's for the 88 ;) ).

Anyways, enough rambling, here's some pics! And NO, we're NOT naming it. Just call it the 84, or the 4-eye, or something. :hick:

Reply #1
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;185659

It's got the vinyl interior with Halo's, factory 2-tone paint,

Anyways, enough rambling, here's some pics! And NO, we're NOT naming it. Just call it the 84, or the 4-eye, or something. :hick:

Errrrr...since when did an 84 TC have "factory" 2-tone paint?

I remember that car.  At least it's not getting crushed.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #2
Hey Mike do you actually have a bird or cat that you own now?
With all the parts and cars that you talk about  you should.
Luv ya anyway.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #3
Hey leather ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
We *think* it's factory Chuck. The jambs are black and the underhood and trunk are grey. It's Dark Charcoal Metallic, so if it's a 1-color car, that's the factory color. Unfortunately the door tag has faded into nothingness :(

We did get the title transferred and new plates with registrations. Still trying to crack all the numbers on the car. We thought it was leather at first, but looking "close" at the seats we're starting to think all-vinyl.

Reply #5
Well there weren't any 2-tone TC's in 83-84. 

On the seats, they are most likely the leather inserts with the rest vinyl.  The way the seat bottoms look from the pics, they're leather.  I'm sitting on one right now....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #6
Nice Save!

Is that red bird emblem on the grille just painted or is it factory? I found a light blue one from the factory... Wondering what the deal is on the colored birds... :hick:
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #7
so im guessing it was in an accident... are you going to swap the correct TC/84 parts on the front?
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #8
Chuck,
That sounds good to us! We thought it was leather to start with when all we had were pics.
The crazy thing about the 2-tone is this is not the first 84 I've seen in this exact color combo. In fact a guy just made Popular Hot Rodding (1-2 months ago?) with an 84 TC (V8 conversion, drag car) wearing the same scheme. I wonder if a dealer was pumping them out in this combination?

Yeah, it washiznit. We don't have a proper nose for it, so it's just going to stay like that for now.

The red paint is all painted on by the previous owner. He changed the emblems around to read "Turbobird" too. Except it's a little "Turbo" and a big "bird". Yeah, so all that's coming off...

The surprising thing (other then NO rust, not even around the windows!) is the condition of the interior. Sure the seats and carpet are damaged, but the dashpad is crack free and the headliner is mint looking. The door panels are pretty nice too. Luckily the theft recovery 84 TC I stripped 2 years ago (the PIT maneuver'd bullet-hole-ridden one) was the same color interior and we saved all of it. So we should have enough to make the inside look pretty nice.

Reply #9
Duh! I was the one that posted it! :hick:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=16068&highlight=phr

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/events/0711phr_nmca_drag_racing_event/photo_36.html

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/events/0711phr_nmca_drag_racing_event/1983_ford_thunderbird.html

Except it's an 83 :hick: and not a TC :hick:

I wonder if that was the scheme the (re)painters of this car were going for?

Reply #10
I should be down there running with you at PI|R next season.  The T-bird is stock now but running pretty good.  But I have all the parts to make one mean motor now.  So all I have to do is get it all together.

Also purchased "another boring Mustang" the other day, 1988 Coupe.  Hope to do a not so boring swap with Cadillac power.  Don't know if this will be done in time but if it is it should make a nice fun light ride.

Sure you don't want a 500 in your new bird?  I happen to know where you can find an engine.

TED

Reply #11
Ted,
Don't you tempt me or John... ;)

We're kinda set on it being a stick car. If that's easy enough to do with the Caddy 500 though...

Reply #12
we have a sign in our shop that reads:

FAST - CHEAP - HIGH QUALITY CARS
Choose Any Two.

:birdsmily:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #13
FAST - CHEAP - HIGH QUALITY CARS
                      Choose Any Two.

For parts it can SOMETIMES be:

Fast, cheap, reliable, new --- choose any 3.....

What's your 1st motor mod gonna be besides the giggle gas?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
Right now? Running. (That's a mod right?)

Cam will be first, and I'm seriously considering a set of Patriot heads to go with it.