Skip to main content
Topic: Bye Bye Crown Vic (Read 2253 times) previous topic - next topic

Bye Bye Crown Vic

An article in this weeks Newsweek Magazine says Ford will stop selling Crown Vics to the public next year.
Retail sales are down 90% since 2000.
"Last year, Ford sold just 3000 of them to the public; today there are less than 100 new unsold Crown Vics on dealer lots in the whole country."

"The automaker still expects to sell 50,000 Crown Vics to the government this year, mostly for use in law inforcement. But the police interceptor model has been losing market share to the Chevy Impala and the Dodge Charger."

"Of the 4,000 that Ford sells to fleets each year, 3,500 end up as yellow cabs in New York City."
But with Mayor Michael Bloomberg eager to field an all hybrid taxi fleet by 2012, and cities like Boston, San Francisco and Chicago looking at hybrid taxis as a way to cut air pollution, ford is pushing its Escape Hybrid."

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #1
tis a sad sad day in ford land
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #2
Not really - if the car had that many fans it'd still be selling. The truth is that it's an ancient, inefficient design that has been on life support (thanks to police) for at least a decade. Crown Vics are ridiculously small inside given the size of them, and their V8's can't even match competitors' V6's. There are simply not many people who will miss the car. You'll hear a few howls of protest from a few "die-hard" fans, but most of those "fans" bought their C/V's secondhand at police auctions, and Ford has no desire whatsoever to build a car that nobody wants new just so somebody can buy a used one cheap.

Besides, with the old Panther finally being put down it opens up a hole in Ford's model line - a hole that would be nicely filled by
the Falcon or some other form of modern, unibody RWD car...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #3
That just got proved incorrect.  At work we do Fleet.  We can never outsell Ford in Fleet sales.
One 88

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #4
Good riddance!  Maybe we'll get something with some balls at work in the near future!
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #5
Good riddance X2.

Other than traditional body frame construction they really had nothing going for them.  Even the old body on frame construction has been improved upon with more modern build methods.  Hence the car being ancient.  No one wants them, not even old people who were the "other market" for the car a few years back.  IMO the last good crown vic was made in 1991 if you could still buy the 79-91 style new maybe but then again my memories may be clouded with good pictures from the past.

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #6
ford should have put the 5.4 in it after all when the 5.0 was standard they were available w/5.8 right as for fleet the impala is worse and the charger w/the V8/hemi got balls but still not happy w/it the v6 chargers stink to pick your poison I liked the LT1 Caprices oh did I say that on a ford site sorry but though they were ugly 5.7/350, posi, trany coolers, handling, etc.

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #7
Quote from: Innes;184030
ford should have put the 5.4 in it after all when the 5.0 was standard they were available w/5.8 right as for fleet the impala is worse and the charger w/the V8/hemi got balls but still not happy w/it the v6 chargers stink to pick your poison I liked the LT1 Caprices oh did I say that on a ford site sorry but though they were ugly 5.7/350, posi, trany coolers, handling, etc.

my dads friend use to drive one of those lt1 caprices to work. Beat it to ALL HELL, nothing broke but the rear end, to many reverse burnouts drive burnouts!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #8
If ford would add some power to the vic it might actually compete in the whole cop car ring. The impala is pretty pathetic if you ask me, fwd and v6 just doesnt cut it for me. The vic has full frame for ruggedness and bashing other cars (pit maneuver), and if it had the 3v motor it would be able to keep up.

They should make a special edition vic for the final year, s/c 5.4, beefed suspension, nice wheels, ground effects...
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #9
i agree with thunderchickens statment
basically, if it were any other car company it wouldve been put to rest long ago
i wont miss it
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible
2015 Ford Focus SE 1.0 EcoBoost

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #10
I don't feel sorry for Ford not selling large volumes of this car anymore. The Crown Vics are good cars, but Ford lost interest in them and didn't keep them up to date. Instead they just cost cut them to death. As a result, the general public has lost interest in these cars and they are seen as taxi cabs and police cars.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #11
Quote from: 88BlueBird;184103
The Crown Vics are good cars, but Ford lost interest in them and didn't keep them up to date. Instead they just cost cut them to death.

That seems to be FoMoCo's motus operandi. The MN12, the Taurus, the Contour, the Ranger, and even the Mustang up until 2005 were all killed by indifference. It seems as though once Ford latches onto a good thing they ride the initial popularity, then just let it die. Hell, they even did it with the Model T.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #12
I loved my 2002 Sport.

fine good looking car that had no balls...
1988 Turbo Coupe

Coming soon to NMRA Drag Radial... :burnout:

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #13
I saw a newer sport model at the 05 detroit autoshow i think. I thought it was sweet. Closest you can get to a marauder. I guess its just up to the owner to add more power.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Bye Bye Crown Vic

Reply #14
Quote from: bhazard;184161
I saw a newer sport model at the 05 detroit autoshow i think. I thought it was sweet. Closest you can get to a marauder. I guess its just up to the owner to add more power.

and thats why these cars were cool, screw it get rid of the vic bring back a more stylish  Ford LTD, Mercury Marauder and Lincoln Conti