Skip to main content

Poll

Should I cut the other spring and lower the whole front or get new stock springs?

Total Members Voted: 25

Topic: To lower or not to lower... Now with Mach1 springs = lowered! (Read 2651 times) previous topic - next topic

To lower or not to lower... Now with Mach1 springs = lowered!

Perhaps some of you have read of my escapades WRT changing my front end. It was all set into motion when I blew another power steering pump a couple of weeks ago. The bearing broke in the pump and filled the system with ground up metal. I figured it was time to put in a new pump, rack and find that larger PS pulley that I had heard about. OK, I did that. In the process I had to separate the tie-rods and at some point I fugured I should use this as an opportunity to throw on the M-3075-D control arms that I had laying around along with the 11" brake upgade that I figured I do at the same time (while I'm in there). SO after tightening up the rack for a test fit, I then loostened the a-arm nuts and gave each one a whack to "see it they will move". One didn't and that is a whole thread onto itself. After numerous hours grinding and cutting the bolt and then fighting the spring compressor, I got the first arm in. I then went to do the other side which I knew would be easy - except that I found the spring on the other side had a broken coil - doh!  Basically one complete coil is missing. I cleaned up the end of the spring with a grinder and assembled it.

Look at the pictures below - one side is the (unintentionally) lowered side, the other is the side with the normal uncut spring. Now, here is the poll question (finally, you thought I'd never get around to it!):

Should I cut the spring on the other side to match - thus lowering my car the amount shown (and it looks like I'll have some bump steer based on the angle of steering rod), or should I get new stock springs and set it back to original height?

OEM Height:

NEW height:

Decide for me quick because driving around like this may get to be annoying :hick:

11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #1
LOWER IT!!! It LOOKS MEAN!!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #2
lower the rear also
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #3
Quote from: SLEEPER T-BIRD 87;176552
lower the rear also

I was think of that. I have the CHE adjustables and they lift the rear a little which compensated for some sag and lets me run 28" tires. I have kind of a dillema here as I need to be able to fit the 28", 11.2" cross section tires on there.

Reply #4
Depending on the severity of the tie rod angles.  It doesn't take much to throw the angles off.  My 88's are horribly uphill.
One 88

Reply #5
lower it!  I did mine and it was a big improvement.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #6
Lower it.I'm going to lower the front of mine by an inch.It sits high like yours does.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
Another vote for lowering. I think the new ride height looks much better. I think you nailed it. It doesnt look too low in the front in relation to the stock height in the rear. I did the same thing on my 87. I ended up cutting off one full coil off the fronts and leaving the rear stock.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #8
Well, this is what I expected and I'm glad everyone so far agrees that it looks better lowered. A side benefit is that I can get the spring in without a spring compressor :) Since I grew up with cars slightly angled downward (air shocks in my GTO - lol), I can live with the rear a little higher. I may go with 27" or 28" street tires in the rear too which will make the gap above the tire about equal. Or I might eventually get some slick 18" wheels and use a 27" tire in the rear with a 26" in the front...

Reply #9
(chanting) Lower it! Lower it! Lower it! :welder:  :welder:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #10
lower it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                        :birdsmily:

Reply #11
Quote from: Cougar5.0;176556
I was think of that. I have the CHE adjustables and they lift the rear a little which compensated for some sag and lets me run 28" tires. I have kind of a dillema here as I need to be able to fit the 28", 11.2" cross section tires on there.

should be no problem
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #12
And of course, lower it.

Reply #13
I would get some c/c plates and fix that tire wear!
One 88

Reply #14
Quote from: CougarSE;176681
I would get some c/c plates and fix that tire wear!

I might consider it, though I lost the -2 degrees of camber I previously had (not sure why) which had to be effecting tire wear somewhat.