Skip to main content
Topic: intake manifolds (Read 4343 times) previous topic - next topic

intake manifolds

i want to buy a new intakemanifold the upper and the bottombut i really dont know which to buy wheather its a gt40intake or an edelbrock or trick flow anyone have any suggestions and if i buy the throttle a 70 or75 mm will it fit the original stock spacer or do i have to get a new one .  Do the throtle sizes go with any manifold or are they specific throttle sizes for the manifolds

Re: intake manifolds

Reply #1
It would help to know some details about your engine, before I'd make any reccomendations on which one to get. The openings on various aftermarket intakes are anywhere from approx 70mm to 90mm, so obvously a 85mm TB on a 70mm intake won't be any better than a 75mm. Yes you'll need a matching EGR spacer, only exception was the Cobra(is built in), but I believe they are discontinued.

Reply #2
well i currently have a explorer intake with the lower ported and port matched to my afr 165 heads, and tomorrow im switching t a custom cam and a ported performer intake from ed curtis, from what he says the performer is just way better intake than the ford ones he says he has seen it time and time again he said expecially for heavier cars he said if under 3300 pounds the performer rpm would be the way to go ive personelly tried the rpm2 and it gave up a whole lotta more than u would have expected and made a 7 less horse power and alot less under the curve it did break even with my explorer around 5800 so i took that thing back off

just my 2 cents

Reply #3
Quote from: rob302
well i currently have a explorer intake with the lower ported and port matched to my afr 165 heads, and tomorrow im switching t a custom cam and a ported performer intake from ed curtis, from what he says the performer is just way better intake than the ford ones he says he has seen it time and time again he said expecially for heavier cars he said if under 3300 pounds the performer rpm would be the way to go ive personelly tried the rpm2 and it gave up a whole lotta more than u would have expected and made a 7 less horse power and alot less under the curve it did break even with my explorer around 5800 so i took that thing back off

just my 2 cents

use those 2 cents to buy some periods  :wtf:

I'm going to get a cobra intake, just cuz it sounds cool :D and I can get the upper and lower for about 200 bucks, can't beat that

Reply #4
I'm going to get a cobra intake, just cuz it sounds cool  and I can get the upper and lower for about 200 bucks, can't beat that

can ya get more than one?....i could use one....
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
http://www.californiafords.com, in the for(d) sale section, all kinds of good deals on used stang stuff. corral.net is good too

Reply #6
im not gonna buy no peroids my point being this not a freakin paper thank u very much later

Reply #7
I know rob.
Isn't that guy such a .
He argued with me on his last thread when he wouldn't listen to reason about mustang headlamps fitting his bird,it called if your not happy with your bird and want a stang,then go buy one and leave the rest of us that love them to leave them looking as they are.
I hate that guy!

Reply #8
Quote from: rob302
im not gonna buy no peroids my point being this not a freakin paper thank u very much later

it was a joke, tightass

Quote from: dominator
I know rob.
Isn't that guy such a .
He argued with me on his last thread when he wouldn't listen to reason about mustang headlamps fitting his bird,it called if your not happy with your bird and want a stang,then go buy one and leave the rest of us that love them to leave them looking as they are.
I hate that guy!

first of all, it was my thread and your opinion was neither wanted nor needed. second, I wasn't wanting my car to look like a mustang, I was wanting to see the god road at night. third, since when did I hunt you down and try to force you to change YOUR car? I was experimenting, trying to do something different. you want to follow the crowd, go right ahead.
and you can hate me all you want, I couldn't give two shiznits.

lastly, you want to bitch about me, take it to PMs, don't shiznit in this guy's thread

Reply #9
on topic, I'm getting a cobra intake for 150, the lower intake needs to be surfaced but that's it :D

Reply #10
The explorer intakes are almost identical to the cobra intakes. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #11
yeah I know, but now I get to brag about having a Cobra intake, rather than an "exploder" intake :p

Reply #12
That's ok, I got my explorer intake and GT40P heads for $100. :ies:  :ies:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #13
If you plan on porting the intake I would get the explorer intake it allows for more removal of material.
1986 bird, 306, Dart heads, 550 lift cam, exp. intake, 50lbs injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, Procharger D1R blower 14lbs, 3 core intercooler, 55shot ZEX N20, tremec 5speed, 3.73 gears, auburn pro posi,headman full length headers, 3" exhaust
custom chip by 5.8FastCat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1955 bird 351w, AFR 185 Heads, 580 lift cam, D1R  Procharger 10lbs tremec 5speed, 3.92 Gears

2007 Hayabusa, R-22 pipes, K&N,  Power Commander
192hp

"Imports are like tampons, every p@$$y has one"

Reply #14
I know there is still tension on the whole mustang lights thing, but lets not hold a grudge. I dont like the way that he has no periods, but I dont always do it. I dont always capitalize or spell right either. Maybe thay have trouble typing and have little time on the internet. You dont know.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com