Skip to main content
Topic: Quick help! Removing a complete autolamp system! (Read 3158 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick help! Removing a complete autolamp system!

Ok, so this guy in my area is selling an 88 TC.  He said I can buy the autolamp system out of it if I come swap it out tomorrow night (thursday, sept 6th)...  So I need to take my TC and all the right tools to quickly pull this whole thing out and get his ride back together before it hinders a sale for him. 

So, could someone give me a run down of ALL the parts in the system and where the wiring runs so I can be prepared?  I really need to get this before he sells the car!  thanks!
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #1
I have no clue on doing the process to which you described but I have one question: why would you want an auto lamp system? I have it installed in my Cat and I never use it, its kind of annoying.

Just my :2c:

'88 Mercury Cougar LS, 302, Project Car - "The Coug"
'83 Ford Thunderbird Heritage, 302, Summer Ride, - "The Bambi Killer"
'86 Chevrolet S10, Daily Driver -  "The Black Beater"

Reply #2
Its very easy.  the harness interfaces with the dash harness behind the headlight switch.. your car has a plug that has two wires looped over.  You just need to remove that plug from your car..  fish out the auto lamp system out of the TC.. No small feat.  it runs to the center of the dash.. has two relays by your right knee, goes up the driver a pillar and runs across the front of the headliner powering both visors and the sensor on the mirror and down the passenger pillar plugging into something over there if I remember correctly.. Just remember to put the plug that is in your car in the TC or the TCs headlights wont work.

I've had the autolamp system in all my cars..  I had to install the system in my 88, doing what you want to do.. I use it all the time, to turn my headlights on.. But I dont use the autodim feature.  It doesn't work that well with the stock sensor.. but does work better with a later model sensor out of a early 90's town car.
One 88

Reply #3
Thank Cougar.  I actually found some other info after searching "aotu lamp" instead of just "autolamp" but yeah, your info is very helpful!!

And 302:  most of the newer vehicles I'm used to driving have it and I love it.  it's classy...  lights come on when they need to, light your way when leaving the car at night...  plus, it's a feature that wasn't big in the 80's, so to have yet another advanced, factory feature in my TC is exactly what I want...
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #4
Heh, I bet that info in the other post was made by me too ;)
One 88

Reply #5
yeah, you were in it actually... but this helped cause I couldn't figure out exactly where everything was based on the other explanation.

so, how hard is it to get the wiring out of the headliner?  Does the headliner have to be semi removed and if so how is that done properly (never pulled one)?  anything else I should know so I don't jack up his ride...?  I don't think he realizes I'm gonna be taking the whole face of his dash off, not to mention the a-pillar trim!

also, do I have to pull the kick panel?

Reply #6
Once you remove the visors and the a pillar trim you will be able to pull the headliner down far enough.  You have to remove the driver kick panel for sure.. I can't remember about the passenger one.  Its been a couple of years.
One 88

Reply #7
dang, ok...  this guy is gonna trip out...  we'll see what happens

Reply #8
What is behind the drivers kick panel that requires its removal?

Reply #9
There is a connector there that the autolamp harness interfaces with.
One 88

Reply #10
I see... Is that the one with the looped wires that I need to swap from mine?

Reply #11
Nope :hick:  That autolamp harness is big. The one with the looped plug is behind the headlight switch.
One 88

Reply #12
LOL... Ok, thanks!

Reply #13
1.  Photo sensor in the dash.
2.  Relays mounted on relay tree.. Two of them.
3.  Connector that goes in place of the jumper on your car.
4.  Autolamp switch
5.  One single wire goes into the headlight switch.. On your car the connector on the headlight switch does not cover the whole back.. it has room for one plug to slip in.. after removing the plug for the headlight switch.. the plug has a lip to hold the single wire from the autolamp in.
6.  Connects here behind kick panel.
7.  Visor
8. Oncoming car sensor.
9. Visor.
10  Not sure about this section..  Cant recall if it goes down behind the passenger kick panel..
One 88

Reply #14
Ok, I'm so bummed out!  I called the guy and he sold the car!  I've been trying to get my hands on an autolamp system for over 4 years!  =(  Anyone have any leads on one??