Skip to main content
Topic: Quick help! Removing a complete autolamp system! (Read 3159 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick help! Removing a complete autolamp system!

Reply #15
Quote from: CougarSE;174800
1.  Photo sensor in the dash.
2.  Relays mounted on relay tree.. Two of them.
3.  Connector that goes in place of the jumper on your car.
4.  Autolamp switch
5.  One single wire goes into the headlight switch.. On your car the connector on the headlight switch does not cover the whole back.. it has room for one plug to slip in.. after removing the plug for the headlight switch.. the plug has a lip to hold the single wire from the autolamp in.
6.  Connects here behind kick panel.
7.  Visor
8. Oncoming car sensor.
9. Visor.
10  Not sure about this section..  Cant recall if it goes down behind the passenger kick panel..

hey, thats a good illustration.  I looked in the evtm when i noticed your item number 10.  I would feel comfortable calling number 10 as tail lamps.

the auto lamp system calls for "exterior lamps" control as well as "anti theft" so it stands to reason this harness would travel back to the rear via this path under that plastic cuver below the carpet.

Reply #16
yeah, it is a good illustration!  Thanks...

As for the tail lights, if that passenger side wiring indeed does go back there: is there a connector or do you need to do some kind of cut and splice?
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #17
Quote from: CougarSE;174800
2.  Relays mounted on relay tree.. Two of them.

From the 84 EVTM: two relays, 1 autolamp and 1 autodimmer.
From the 87 EVTM three relays, 2 autolamp and 1 autodimmer

Reply #18
Tail light harness is on the driver side.. And softtouch its been a couple of years since I've done the conversion I'm a bit rusty :hick:
One 88

Reply #19
Quote from: booksix;174802
Ok, I'm so bummed out!  I called the guy and he sold the car!  I've been trying to get my hands on an autolamp system for over 4 years!  =(  Anyone have any leads on one??

OH well, he'd not likely gone for you tearing his car apart... 

It's been my experience most TC seem to have the feature(neither of my good ones do)... I have it on a parts car, keep thinking I may want to install it one of these days...

No, don't ask... IF I ever pull it out, I'll use it...

Years ago I bought a complete '68 Torino 4 door, just to get the factory AM/FM Stereo wiring harness(super rare)for my Cobra... After I raped it of the parts I wanted, resold to a guy at work for transportation, and made $200...

Reply #20
Making that diagram has got me motivated to dospoogeent everything I know about the fox wiring harnesses.  Alot of cool features are Modular (autolamp, premium sound, cornering lamps, Keyless *kind of*)  While ATC, and cluster are not.  For any given year there are atleast 6 different part numbers for the dash harness, four headlight harnesses, two or more door to door harnesses and one tail light harness :hick:  The moonroof harness is a modular add on to the dash harness.. but the roof itself is not :hick:
One 88

Reply #21
Quote from: CougarSE;174942
Making that diagram has got me motivated to dospoogeent everything I know about the fox wiring harnesses.  Alot of cool features are Modular (autolamp, premium sound, cornering lamps, Keyless *kind of*)  While ATC, and cluster are not.  For any given year there are atleast 6 different part numbers for the dash harness, four headlight harnesses, two or more door to door harnesses and one tail light harness :hick:  The moonroof harness is a modular add on to the dash harness.. but the roof itself is not :hick:

Defiantly worthy of a Sticky....

Reply #22
whats the wires on the mirror? and how do you tell what they are?

Reply #23
i hope you do that CougarSE,, it would be very useful  I really dont know of any resource that illustrates a wiring harness layout as it "lays" in the car.  It would be a great reasource.

I would lay out the body and overlay the various harness appications in the area they are installed with a notes page with the "long winded" details.  I like consolidating information to smaller dospoogeents.

Reply #24
If my dad still has his t/c next time i go down i could attempt to pull the system.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #25
I've just realized that the autlamp harness is infact a two piece deal.. I um forgot! :hick:
One 88

Reply #26
Sounds like a PITA to remove...

Did the 83-86's come with the autolamp option? And would a 87-88 Work in a 83-86? Just curious.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #27
ok, I got one!  WOOHOO!  took about an hour at the junkyard that I didn't even know existed!  So, now one more question on installing:

My TC didn't have autolamp so I'm trying to figure out where to connect the two connectors behind the drivers side kick panel.  My guess is I unplug the ONE connector that is currently there (then making TWO open connectors) and connect the autolamp harness in between.  Can anyone confirm this...  I know they physically fit, just want to be sure before powering up.  thanks!  btw, the autolamp came from an elan (i don't know what year they were made, but it's an 83-86 body).
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #28
Quote from: booksix;175303
ok, I got one!  WOOHOO!  took about an hour at the junkyard that I didn't even know existed!  So, now one more question on installing:

My TC didn't have autolamp so I'm trying to figure out where to connect the two connectors behind the drivers side kick panel.  My guess is I unplug the ONE connector that is currently there (then making TWO open connectors) and connect the autolamp harness in between.  Can anyone confirm this...  I know they physically fit, just want to be sure before powering up.  thanks!  btw, the autolamp came from an elan (i don't know what year they were made, but it's an 83-86 body).

Awesome man, Let us know how the install goes.
I'm really interested in doing this on my '84 now... I'm a sucker for options and goodies even if my car didnt come with them, lol.

How hard was it to get out? did you have to take the entire dash apart?
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #29
Quote from: booksix;175303

Thats exactly how it works.
One 88