Skip to main content
Topic: T-bird/Cougar SO engine performance possilities (Read 4130 times) previous topic - next topic

T-bird/Cougar SO engine performance possilities

So i've been mulling around some ideas about upgrades for my engine and i've got few hypothetical/what if questions. I'm always trying to come up with things that will both improve power, and also potentially improve gas milelage (emphasis on gas milelage). Now i've done somewhat simple things such as K&N air filter, FRPP 9mm plug wires, FRPP distributor cap and rotor, typical tune up things, and have even psuedo upgrade to the 88 fake dual exhaust. Now i'm wondering what else I can do to move forward. I'm thinking that when I take care of my lower intake manifold gaskets, i'll upgrade my upper manifold to the H.O. upper, add an 65mm throttle body and matching egr spacer. I'm also intending to rectify the mistake of the fake dual exhuast and go true dual using aftermarket Mark VII headers, cat convertors, dynomax ultra-flo lers and tailpipes from where ever i decide to get them. Some other ideas I had were to add a manifold plenum spacer (to help with low end torque from what I understand) possibly adding an msd distributor with 6al control box (I already have the ignition coil), and also a cold air intake kit (possibly from MAC). Now i'm looking for other ideas that would help this line of thought. I know I can upgrade to E7TE heads with out complications so that can be skipped. Other than that if anyone has some other good ideas feel free to share!. Oh, for those who I know will say it. I know I can "Upgrade" to a H.O. motor, that is not the point, so please leave that idea out of the disscusion. I'm simply looking to see how far a stock motor can be pushed without ill side effects. Have at it!
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Re: T-bird/Cougar SO engine performance possilities

Reply #1
Well if you want to just put the ho parts on the so motor, i have everything you need.
upper manifold,tb,e7te heads, mustang stock shortie headers,19lb injectors and the ho eec out of an 88 mustang.
The only thing i don't have that can be found cheap is the ho cam,i'm still going to use it with my new head and intake combo,just using 1.7 ratio rockers to get a little more valve lift.
Other than that you could bolt on a set of underdrives,bypass the coolant hoses running to your tb(little cooler charge)and bolt on an intake spacer.

Reply #2
Quote from: dominator
Well if you want to just put the ho parts on the so motor, i have everything you need.
upper manifold,tb,e7te heads, mustang stock shortie headers,19lb injectors and the ho eec out of an 88 mustang.
The only thing i don't have that can be found cheap is the ho cam,i'm still going to use it with my new head and intake combo,just using 1.7 ratio rockers to get a little more valve lift.
Other than that you could bolt on a set of underdrives,bypass the coolant hoses running to your tb(little cooler charge)and bolt on an intake spacer.

Well that's along the lines of what i'm looking for, with the exception of the headers injectors and computer, and cam at that. I've debated underdrive pulleys, but i'm hesistant due to the mixed feelings on the quality and performance of them. As for the bypassing of the coolant hoses, i've never heard of that one, and i've put the spacer idea into play. But good ideas none the less. Oh, if anyone needs me to elaborate on anything I wrote, just ask. I think I got my idea out right but it might be a bit hazy to others. :dunno:

Reply #3
Instead of a 65mm TB and spacer use a stock HO 60mm(the SO is only 50mm), and use the money to get the Cobra 1.7 roller rockers instead. You'll gain a little lift(more air in)and cut some friction. Both will add/free up a little HP, especially with headers and true duals.

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Instead of a 65mm TB and spacer use a stock HO 60mm(the SO is only 50mm), and use the money to get the Cobra 1.7 roller rockers instead. You'll gain a little lift(more air in)and cut some friction. Both will add/free up a little HP, especially with headers and true duals.

Heh Heh, can o' worms! So, this would make me ask the following: Is this being applied to non E7TE heads, if this done would new push rods be needed (or a good idea), lifters?, springs?. Also, mustangs headers or the Mark ones?. And last but not least, how about the combination of the roller rockers and 65 mm, too much?

*southern voice* I likes questions!!!!

Reply #5
Quote from: nirvanagod
Heh Heh, can o' worms! So, this would make me ask the following: Is this being applied to non E7TE heads, if this done would new push rods be needed (or a good idea), lifters?, springs?. Also, mustangs headers or the Mark ones?. And last but not least, how about the combination of the roller rockers and 65 mm, too much?

*southern voice* I likes questions!!!!

Yep they work on the E6SE heads(I actually used them on a '86 Mustang, they use the SO heads and intake, but have HO cam, inj, headers, etc.). The reason I said 60mm is it will flow more than enough for the SO cam, even with the 1.7s. New push rods not needed, but the Ford Racing are fairly cheap. Never a bad idea to up grade the valve springs, but again probably not necessary unless you went HO cam. The Stang and Linc headers are identical.

Reply #6
I dunno about bypassing the coolant lines on the egr spacer. I heard somewhere (maybe an old ezboard thread?) that said bypassing isn't a good idea, and could lead to hotter air intake. Reason being that the coolant helps cool the egr some with the hot exhaust gasses being reciurculated (sp?) through the spacer.

I don't have anything to back that up, like I said, I think I had heard or read that somewhere.  :dunno:
Resident "Idiot".

Formerly TBob5pt0 :shoothead

Quote from: JeremyB;165772
Repairing a lock cylinder that is frozen or sans keys requires a drill, gumption, and a midget on a tricycle.
Quote from: Big_D
Forgot to put on intake hose when starting the car, sucked neighbors cat into intake.

Reply #7
Mine are blocked off, and the Cobra intake I had on before the GT40 doesn't even have provisions for the cooling lines. Those don't use a seperate EGR spacer, its built into the intake.

Reply #8
When I owned my '88 XR7 I installed an HO intake/TB/EGR and a K&N filter. I actually noticed difference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
Quote from: cougarcragar
When I owned my '88 XR7 I installed an HO intake/TB/EGR and a K&N filter. I actually noticed difference.

yeah same here, it definitely makes a difference. full exhaust helped a bit more tho I think

Reply #10
Yep they work on the E6SE heads(I actually used them on a '86 Mustang, they use the SO heads and intake, but have HO cam, inj, headers, etc.). The reason I said 60mm is it will flow more than enough for the SO cam, even with the 1.7s. New push rods not needed, but the Ford Racing are fairly cheap. Never a bad idea to up grade the valve springs, but again probably not necessary unless you went HO cam. The Stang and Linc headers are identical.

K, sorry to beat a nearly dead horse the rest of the way. But is safe to assume that the 65 might be slightly to much (though not so much as to have a negative effect)? And I probably would go with new rods and springs just cause. As for the headers I thought stock mustangs were 1 5/8's and the marks were 1 1/2's like the stocker on the t-birds/cougars. Yet then again i'm starting to think that was the aftermarket stang headers. None-the-less any other idea's? Just trying find as many options and possibilities as I can for this!

Reply #11
you could try some lower gears like 3.55's or something like that, it gives a much stronger acceleration feel, but slightly less gas miliage. So you prolly wouldnt use that. As far as I know all mustang and mark 7 headers are 1 1/2 from the factory, and nearly identical
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
Quote from: Haystack
you could try some lower gears like 3.55's or something like that, it gives a much stronger acceleration feel, but slightly less gas miliage.

Eh, I thought about that, and the losing gas mileage (though nominal at best) kinda makes me weary of doing that. At the moment the engine is what i'm focusing on.

Reply #13
I can't say the 65mm would be too much(it's what I have on my Trick Flow headed/cammed 5.0) but I wouldn't go over the 60 on a stocked cammed SO...

Reply #14
I can't say the 65mm would be too much(it's what I have on my Trick Flow headed/cammed 5.0) but I wouldn't go over the 60 on a stocked cammed SO...

Point taken. Thanks! Anyine else have any potential idea's?