Skip to main content
Topic: back to stock (Read 3350 times) previous topic - next topic

back to stock

back to stock for me, power-wise anyways. got my car dyno'd today. a whopping 150 horsepower(@3900) and 220 ft/lbs(at 3000). so i guess for an 88, thats actually less then stock. considering all ive done (check signature) i was hoping for a little more, like at least 180 horses. that also 1/4 miled it when it was on there...16.7 @84 mph. also dissapointing. i was really hoping for low 16's at least. i guess for an engine that is gonna hit 200,000 any day now, its not too bad. but its a reallity check on just how slow it is.:mad:
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

back to stock

Reply #1
in all honesty, you really don't have that much done to it.  keep in mind that back then the 302 wasn't what i would consider a power house.  don't give up hope... those motors are capable of putting out some really good numbers, but it will take more then what you've got.  your torque numbers really aren't bad.  the pulleys aren't going to give you more the a couple horse, the air pump is the same, the h.o. intake probably gained you about 8-10 horse, and the tb is going to give you better throttle response more then anything.  the headers and lers probably picked up about 10-15 horse.  all in all, i'd say your right on par for the mods you've got.  as far as 1/4 mile times, it's going to take a good amount of power to propel that boat down the 1320.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

back to stock

Reply #2
you need to finish the HO swap!!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

back to stock

Reply #3
If that's RWHP numbers then you are making more than stock.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

back to stock

Reply #4
Don't feel bad. You havn't even swapped the head yet.

back to stock

Reply #5
150 RWHP = 180-190 Crank HP  I'd say you're doing well....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

back to stock

Reply #6
Quote from: V8Demon;165769
150 RWHP = 180-190 Crank HP  I'd say you're doing well....

Yep. Stock 88 was 155 hp at the flywheel.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

back to stock

Reply #7
I agree, that is really good if those are RWHP numbers. There are about 20% driveline loses with an automatic due to torque converter slip, etc. Plus considering you have the factory E6 heads, SO cam, and near 200K miles, I would be very happy. Put some E7 heads and an HO cam in the engine, for cheap, and you will be very happy.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

back to stock

Reply #8
Quote from: 88BlueBird;165792
I agree, that is really good if those are RWHP numbers. There are about 20% driveline loses with an automatic due to torque converter slip, etc. Plus considering you have the factory E6 heads, SO cam, and near 200K miles, I would be very happy. Put some E7 heads and an HO cam in the engine, for cheap, and you will be very happy.

i'm with stupid.:D

you've barely scratched the surface of modding that motor.  you've got a couple hundred bucks worth of mods... there's some of us (myself included) that have in the area of $10k in our motors.  you've got a TON of room to improve on your settup.
06 pontiac g6 gt

back to stock

Reply #9
yea, that was a deffinate brainfart about the rwhp and fwhp. i dont feel quite as bad now, and 180 fwhp was what i originally estimated, so i guess i am right about where i thought i'd be. so thanks, i feel a little better now. but i did think my 1/4 would have been faster then that, and keep in mind, that number is with a 0.00 reaction time, so real life will be worse then that. i have an E7 head milled and ready to go, i just need to find a cam, injectors, and computer. any one know where i can find a H.O. cam? im pretty leary about Ebay and and all that.
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

back to stock

Reply #10
fwhp???  front wheel horse power?? you've converted your car to front wheel drive??  that's a hell of a mod right there!
06 pontiac g6 gt

back to stock

Reply #11
Quote from: grutinator;165813
yea, that was a deffinate brainfart about the rwhp and fwhp. i dont feel quite as bad now, and 180 fwhp was what i originally estimated, so i guess i am right about where i thought i'd be. so thanks, i feel a little better now. but i did think my 1/4 would have been faster then that, and keep in mind, that number is with a 0.00 reaction time, so real life will be worse then that. i have an E7 head milled and ready to go, i just need to find a cam, injectors, and computer. any one know where i can find a H.O. cam? im pretty leary about Ebay and and all that.

One word: Gears. A set of 3.73's would get you into the low 16's, and maybe even the high 15's
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

back to stock

Reply #12
fwhp=flywheel horsepower in this case.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

back to stock

Reply #13
Reaction time has nothing to do with the run down the track, they are timed separately...

You have a good exhaust system, now need the HO to put it to work... According to MM&FF a stock HO will make 245Hp, with just the addition of a good exhaust system...

Quote from: Thunder Chicken;165815
One word: Gears. A set of 3.73's would get you into the low 16's, and maybe even the high 15's

I agree, stick a 2400 stall in it and you'll think you have the HO already...

back to stock

Reply #14
Quote from: SSX;165816
fwhp=flywheel horsepower in this case.

gotcha... i've been hanging around the honda boys too long!:punchballs: :hick:
06 pontiac g6 gt