Skip to main content
Topic: how far have you driven to buy a car? (Read 3848 times) previous topic - next topic

how far have you driven to buy a car?

a few years ago a buddy of mine and i drove from clearwater to ft. wayne, indiana (1,133 miles one way) to pick up an svo. that was a long ass trip, but it sure as hell wasn't uneventful. my truck popped a head gasket on the way back. poor levi had to drive my truck with the windows down in the freezing cold while i slept in the f-150 that was following us with another mustang on it.

i now live in kansas city, mo, and i'm leaving friday night to drive to ohio with a buddy of mine to pick up my new turbocoupe. i FINALLY found a really clean 88 that i like a lot. it's 678 miles one way. not too bad, but it's not right around the corner either.

how far have you gone?
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily:

Reply #1
exactly 1 year ago..
the convertible was from Tucson, AZ.. i live in Niagara Falls, Ontario

2,259 mi

Reply #2
About 60miles, for the '88 Cougar

Reply #3
 josh. if i wasnt movin this weekend, id invite you to stop on your way thru indy. on the way back of course, i wanna see that TC.:evilgrin:

what day/time are you travelin back thru, maybe the planets will align and our schedules will magically co-inside.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #4
 I forgot... In '68 I flew from Des Moines IA(was living in Madrid IA), to Chesapeake VA to get my first '64 Ford(was bought while I was in IA)... Drove it back to IA, approx 1300 mi... Two months later it was too cold(yeah I'm a cooch), so I moved back to VA... Don't remember what I spent for gas coming back, but on the trip out, I spent a little over $27... :D 

Who has gone farther on less $$$$???  That '64 was a 289, with three on the tree and 3.25 rear, got a little over 21mpg...

In '72 I went from Chesapeake VA to Lewisburg WV to buy a '64 Ford...(2nd one)

In '96 I went from Chesapeake VA to Lewisburg WV to sell a '86 Mustang...

Just a tick over 300 mi(600 RT)...

Reply #5
1472 miles round trip. I don't mind driving but loaded the car at 3am and realized the trailer had a broken leaf pack and two shredded tires. Slept in advance auto parking lot, borrowed tools, walked for parts, then drove home. Worth it? Probably not.
Jim

Reply #6
3.5 miles to get mine... it was here in town

Reply #7
Quote from: 84 Fila;163195
3.5 miles to get mine... it was here in town

Get out of here, you cant drive!

I drove about 300 miles round trip for my mustang.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
Why do you say that. Me and dad took the Bronco to get it from my freinds house, 3.5 miles away.

Reply #9
I had my cat delivered to me! Other than that I don't go to far for a vehicle. Maybe and hour one way.
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

Reply #10
620 miles from Westminster to Paw Paw, MI then another 60 miles to Grand Rapids to get a temp tag then 680 back home for my classic limousine. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2488908

After came from Connecticut (~270 miles), Before was driven to me from Vermont, the white 87 XR-7 came from Kannapolis, NC (~430 miles).
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #11
Well, I didn't "buy" the vehicle, but I drove it for a year, from Ft Carson  all the way to the middle of Iraq. Can anybody beat that one? Didn't cost me a dime either.:D

Reply #12
Quote from: atariman;163246
Well, I didn't "buy" the vehicle, but I drove it for a year, from Ft Carson  all the way to the middle of Iraq. Can anybody beat that one? Didn't cost me a dime either.:D

I like it! :hick:
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

Reply #13
my brother drove me 4 hours there and 4 hours back to get just parts for my car... not usre how many miels but it was a long time and all i got were parts! but i got a hell of a deal!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #14
, we're some dedicated fools, aren't we?  lol.

turbocoupe50,
i was born just outside of chesapeak, va...  at portsmouth naval hospital.  i lived in chesapeak for about 10 years growing up. 

gumby,
pm'd.
91 ranger 2.3 turbo - nowhere near stock
87 thunderbird turbocoupe
06 pontiac g6 gt
:birdsmily: