Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Pan removal (Read 2597 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Pan removal

OK this is kind of a repost http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=14009 but I didn’t get an answer. Today I attempted to do my oil pump. I removed the starter & tranny mount and unbolted the motor mounts, unbolted the motor pan and hoisted the motor from the front as high as it would go it appeared the pan wanted to come out of the back but the tranny was stopping it. If I go forward do I remove the sway bar or the rack and pinion? Which is the easiest removing the pan from the back or front? Any secrets would be appreciated the vehicle is an ’88 T-Bird 5.0 AOD.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #1
The sway bar will be a lot easier to remove than the steering rack and should provide you more clearance than taking the steering rack off, as it doesn't really stick up too much higher than the K-member itself.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #2
Guess you didn't see the thread "What is the hardest job you ever did on your Bird/Coug"(or something similar)... Anyway Eric and I agreed it was the oil pan...

Ford recommends pulling the tranny to remove the pan... I got one off without pulling it, but had to loosen the rack and it was still a bitch... Rather than try to reinstall it, I pulled the engine...

Oil Pan removal

Reply #3
Yes coming out the front the sway bar definitely has to be removed I could see, but the back hump on the pan is bigger and the rack & pinion sits on top of the cross I figured id get another 2 inches I’m also thinking ill take the rad/shroud/fan to give room, in the morning ill try again

Oil Pan removal

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;158875
Guess you didn't see the thread "What is the hardest job you ever did on your Bird/Coug"(or something similar)... Anyway Eric and I agreed it was the oil pan...

Ford recommends pulling the tranny to remove the pan... I got one off without pulling it, but had to loosen the rack and it was still a bitch... Rather than try to reinstall it, I pulled the engine...

Yes I did read that and I dint like what I read.
Yes I’m aware ford says to pull the trany but I’m trying not to though I was speaking to Paul on the phone and he motioned putting a jack under the trany and losing the bolts to sneak it out. Just not positive that will work either way tomorrow I just want to have a plan and go w/it (going out the front or back) I trying to get as much advice as I could get and tomorrow ill have a plan.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #6
Tinkered a little more today not much luck, started getting it ready to pull the motor. If I’m pulling it I might as well refreshing it. Contemplating switching to carb and replacing the torque converter with a higher stall.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #7
Stripped oil pan bolt was the whole reason for my HO swap. I figured if I had to pull the motor I might as well stick in a new one:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #8
im risky but i just lift the motor till the firewall and engin touch.  I block up the mounts, leave engine lift tention on,, place a floor jack under the harmonic ,,,
remove the two rack/pinion bolts and let the rack sag down,,,
lower the pan as far as it will go,,,, then reach in there and take off the pump letting it fall in the pan,,
then i just fight it out and its likely it wont come out:punchballs: so,,, i just reach in there and fish the pump out , clean up the surfaces, rebolt everything back on in reverse order.

its just odd reaching in there knowing you could lose both hands if something goes wrong.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;159173
im risky but i just lift the motor till the firewall and engin touch.  I block up the mounts, leave engine lift tention on,, place a floor jack under the harmonic ,,,
remove the two rack/pinion bolts and let the rack sag down,,,
lower the pan as far as it will go,,,, then reach in there and take off the pump letting it fall in the pan,,
then i just fight it out and its likely it wont come out:punchballs: so,,, i just reach in there and fish the pump out , clean up the surfaces, rebolt everything back on in reverse order.

its just odd reaching in there knowing you could lose both hands if something goes wrong.

This is exactly what I did when I initially did mine. Something I haven't seen mentioned is that you should remove the radiator, and I also advise moving the ac condenser out of the way. Also Don't bother removing the swaybar, just pop the steering rack loose and let it hang, It's the only thing keeping you from a clean pull on the pan. Once that's all done just go in reverse like it has been stated. The only other advice I'd have to offer is 1: Buy the FRPP one piece gasket (and have it more or less setup in the pan BEFORE re-installing the oil pickup), and 2: The oil pan bolts only take 6-10 ft lbs of torque according to spec, tighten them by hand/feel. It is nearly impossible to get a torque wrench to work properly for the mid pan bolts, and if you are not careful you'll end up with an expensive mess and repair on your hands. Trust me I know, I still have the bolt that ruined my day sitting on my desk as a reminder. In all honesty it probably wouldn't hurt to buy a net bolt set and use a wee bit o lok-tite when installing them. I don't know what it is about fords liking to vibrate bolts loose.

Hope this helps.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Oil Pan removal

Reply #10
Man guys a little late thanks any way I wasn’t positive it was going to work so I pulled the motor I felt I was procrastinating enough F-ing w/it so I just pulled it now that its out I’m sure it will be done right and I might as well pull it all apart and freshen it up. Now the questions are going to start about the rebuild.

Oil Pan removal

Reply #11
No dice pullin through the front side, huh?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Oil Pan removal

Reply #12
lol,,
congrads,,,,,,,you are full speed ahead on your way to ........

"might as well this" and "might as well that"

chime in on progress reports, and holler if you need help.:D

Oil Pan removal

Reply #13
You know what it was a blessing in disguise I had to pull the motor because the little driving I did w/no oil pressure I wore the bearing a little. Now that it’s apart ill try and find some HP. Any internal secretes are appertained other then keeping the lower end stock I’m undecided what I’m going to do w/the top end I’m now contemplating aluminum heads. 
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=14832&page=2

Oil Pan removal

Reply #14
first aluminum heads. then intake. then exhaust then gears. you see you've started a viscious cycle.
louie  :birdsmily:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]       
My famous last words:
It seemed like a good idea at the time.        88TC R.I.P.      88 Sport build in progress