Skip to main content
Topic: Smoke from exhaust after injectors/fpr swap..... (Read 4035 times) previous topic - next topic

Smoke from exhaust after injectors/fpr swap.....

I swapped my fuel injectors and my FPR,buttoned it all back up,now smoke from the exhaust.I let it run for a few minutes,still smoking.I installed an extra set of injectors I have,still smoking.I re-installed the injectors that I had in it before all of this,and re-installed the FPR,still smoke.What the ?!!! I've never had smoke coming from my car.The plugs are black.Dry,but black.I could smeel a strong odor of gasoline from the exhaust.I'm wondering if gas got in the oil.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
I'll check the dipstick.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
The oil has just been changed (was afraid I may have dumped too much gas in the engine and got fuel in the oil).Still smoking.There's dampness on my exhaust tips.Oil/fuel?It's not water,and it doesn't have a lot of odor to it.I just checked the oil after getting home,looks great.I checked the plugs,they have a dry reddish-brown color to them.None of them are wet.Perhaps there was fuel in the oil,and the smoke is from whatever is moist in the exhaust burning out.I have no idea where this smoke is coming from (what is causing it).I did change the IAC yesterday,but re-installed the old one until I can pinpoint this problem.As I stated above,this engine has never smoked.Not until I tried to change the injectors and FPR,which,are off the car and the old ones are back on again now.What could it be?

Reply #3
Did you forget to hook up your Map sensor?
One 88

Reply #4
Yep,it's hooked up.Everything is hooked up.I'm hoping it's just residual  in the heads/exhaust burning off.I am lost on this.I'm not losing coolant,no water or anything else in the oil.Something is causing the smoke.I'll drive it around and see if it goes away.Any more ideas?I'm lost.

Reply #5
Run some seafoam through to really clean it out. That would get rid of stuff burning off of the heads/exhaust. What color of smoke is it?
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #6
pcv hooked up and not clogged?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #7
PCV hooked up,the smoke is white as can be.I'll go ahead and get a new screen to install under the pcv valve.I am going to let it run for a while tomorrow and see what happens.I think too much fuel.Just my thought.

Reply #8
i think if it was running rich, it would be black smoke. white smoke usually means water is getting in the combustion chamber. bluish-white smoke is from oil.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #9
I may be over-looking something but...

Are they different rate injectors or just new replacements?
What was wrong with the old ones?

What about the FPR, is it a stocker?

Reply #10
They were replacement 19# injectors.The FPR was an adjustable unit.Since the fuel pressure gauge that I borrowed didn't work,I couldn't tell how much fuel I was passing along to the injectors.When the white smoke was pouring out of the exhaust,I could smell gasoling really strong.If it's water,that would be a really big coincidence.Too big.I'm going to work in a few minutes and I'll see what happens now that everything is back as it started.If,for some strange reason,I do have some water getting in the oil,that's O.K.,it would probably be going through a head gasket and that would give me a reason to get the new heads on the car.BUT,I really don't think that's the problem..................or is it?

Reply #11
well, that being said, your gonna need a f/p guage to dial in 40psi.
On the CFI units, one full turn equals about 2psi. 

if it isnt just right, it will smoke ,, but the color of white,,, not sure what you did if it didnt smoke before.

bypass / loop back the intake cooling lines and see if that makes the smoke go away.  Thats an easy way to see if the upper intake is cracked anywhere.

Reply #12
The intake cooling lines (going through the throttlebody spacer) never have been hooked up.I'm going to go ahead and replace the pcv valve and the screen just in case.On the way to work,the Sport smaoked a little,but on the way home,I didn't see anything.I hope this problem goes away quick.It really doesn't make sense to me.I've een through EVERYTHING with this car.I think she's (the Sport) testing my loyalty.The blue car did that..............it's a parts car now.

Reply #13
Any update?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
O.K.,update (sorry,I should've did a follow up).The car isn't smoking anymore.I think that I dumped WAY too much fuel into the engine and it mixed with the oil and was causing the engine to smoke.I really can't find another reason for the problem at all.I'm going to re-re-install my new injectors and once I get a new fuel pressure gauge,the adjustable will go on......if I don't decide to sell it first because i want some other parts.But,no smoke.On another note,my heads should be ready for pick-up in the morning at the machine shop....finally.