Skip to main content
Topic: bumping timing?!?! (Read 2476 times) previous topic - next topic

bumping timing?!?!

im getting my timing bumped friday and i was wondering what i should bump it to?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #1
whatever it will go up to without pinging
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #2
well, im having a shop do it and i want to know the excact number so i can just tell them so it is cheaper (less manual labor)
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #3
so your asking us to tell you what to tell them so it sounds like you know what your talking about? LOL! use that money and buy a timing light to do it yourself. its easy to do. even YOU could do it. ;)

not one car is the same, and you could have them set it, and it'll ping and run like shiznit. then you would have to take it back.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #4
well, im getting underdrive pulleys and a new fan clutch installed and they said that they will bump the timing for free if i tell them the number of degress i want it at. but if they have to play around with it they will charge me more.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #5
its a 2 minute job no matter what they set it too, all they have to do is move it a degree at a time and rev it and listen for a ping, then back it off a degree.

A better way is to bump it ahead two degrees at a time and take a test run, when you get to a point where it pings under load, back the imming off 2*

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #6
depends on what quality of fuel you run. I like em up near 14* base but it will probly be 93 octane territory
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #7
Buy a timing light for ~$50 and do it yourself. It's stupid easy.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #8
why buy a timing light when i could have someone else do it for free?!?! i run 93. and i want to get max performance, so 14 degress?

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #9
Give up guys, this guy would rather pay someone to turn a wrench a 1/4 turn and twist the distributor.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #10
haha its free!!!

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #11
14 degrees would be a start, but no car response exactly the same way. you'll wind up bringin it back. that's why i said do it yourself. if you have the money to pay someone to change out pulleys, you have it to buy a timing light and a 1/2" wrench.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #12
I guess I can see getting the UDP's installed, but if you have to take it back for the timing, then your money is better spent on a light.  If it runs great once they're done with it, then great.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #13
Quote from: Ifixyawata;155909
I guess I can see getting the UDP's installed

i cant
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #14
I'm not saying I would do it.  I have all the proper tools & knowledge.  I have no trouble pulling a harmonic balancer pulley, but some folks might find it daunting.  I dunno... it's his money I guess.