Skip to main content
Topic: bumping timing?!?! (Read 2477 times) previous topic - next topic

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #15
uh, it just unbolts with 4 bolts.

FWIW, an underdrive pulley on a stock alternator is a BAD idea. unless you have a 3G alternator.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #16
Oh well.  Let him find out the hard way.  I can see it now.

"WTF, I've gone thru 4 batteries!?!?!?!"

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #17
you'll need a new belt, too. and they'll probably charge $40+ for that. plus extra labor to measure for it.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #18
yep, i have the belt too! i got my battery from sears and you can exchange batteries for free, so i dont need to worry but i have been looking for a 3G so i should have one in a week or 2. but thanks for your constuctive critisism!

guys i dont have the time to do this can of stuff yet. with school then football going on i need a car to drive and it would take me awhile because i wouldnt know what to do, so i'll just let a mechanic do it in 1.5 hours when im in school.
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #19
wait, i dont have the belt. i didnt mean to say that, i weant to say i need one. does anybody what number belt i need?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #20
UDP's are a bad idea any ways, IMOP, runs the water pump slower, the alt. slower, so if your planing on getting a billion horse power out of changing the timing 4*, than that's not the way to go about it,

What every one is trying to say, and some one has said it, is that every car is different, you can't tell an exact number and it's suppoesed to work, you hae to play around  " " with the timing, and find something that works,  i a stock motor, won't be the same timing as a high performance motor, and yata yata yata,

The shop should be able to do a " test and tune " sorta thing, but most shops will only set it to stock.

BTW i work for sears, we won't replace your battery after the 3rd time in 12-16 months without sending you off to an elec. specailst

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #21
Running the water pump slower increases the time it has to cool in the radiator and increases the time it has for the water to absorb the heat... =)

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #22
Quote from: quicksilver;155920
i got my battery from sears and you can exchange batteries for free, so i dont need to worry but i have been looking for a 3G so i should have one in a week or 2. but thanks for your constuctive critisism!

The problem won't be the battery is bad but just discharged... They'll soon be telling you not to bring it back...

Underdrives are OK, IF you understand the possible pitfalls... The stock alt will NOT provide enough output at idle to keep the battery charged... IF you don't let it idle for more than a few minutes at a time, there shouldn't be a problem... This is basically a non issue with the 3G alt... Its the same deal with the cooling system, watch the temp... I'm bettin it will tend to heat up at idle in hot weather and AC output will also weak at idle... Trust me I speak from experience, I've had the UDs on mine since '99...

Quote from: quicksilver;155921
wait, i dont have the belt. i didnt mean to say that, i weant to say i need one. does anybody what number belt i need?

As far as the belt, it will probably have to be measured... The specs included with most UDs are for a Mustang... Our cars accessory bracket for the AC compressor & P/S is different vs the Stang so the belts are different to begin with...

With premium 14* timing should be OK... Basically you are wasting money running any higher octane than prevents pinging... I usually just run 89 in mine except in the hottest weather...

Tom

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #23
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;157317

With premium 14* timing should be OK... Basically you are wasting money running any higher octane than prevents pinging... I usually just run 89 in mine except in the hottest weather...

Tom

AAAHAH!!
It was you who told me to set the timing to 14* and run 89, I couldn't remember for the life of me.

Once the heads are on, I'm going to do it.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #24
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;157317

Tom

Unless you have a high compression (10:1) engine;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #25
My t-bird loved 16* of base timing and never pinged on 87 octane(at least it wasn't audible) and it ran even better on 93 when I took it to the track...but running that much timing on regular will cause problems...when I pulled the heads off the 'Bird, cyl #3 had a nice rich green hue to it, but it never let out even a puff of smoke. 

If you put a set of aluminum heads on, you'll need to back your timing off a little...same with higher compression ratios.

As everybody else said, every car will want something a little different...I would say to start off with no more than 14* on 93 and go from there.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #26
I'm running 15* right now with my combo using 93 octane.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #27
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;157597

If you put a set of aluminum heads on, you'll need to back your timing off a little...

From all I've seen and heard thats false... They transfer heat quicker so usually you can run more timing than with a comparable iron head...

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #28
Quote from: 88XR7;157276
Running the water pump slower increases the time it has to cool in the radiator and increases the time it has for the water to absorb the heat... =)

No, running the pump slower decreases the amount of heat transferred out of the block and radiator.
Time has nothing to do with it.

bumping timing?!?!

Reply #29
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;157638
From all I've seen and heard thats false... They transfer heat quicker so usually you can run more timing than with a comparable iron head...

That does seem to make more sense...Sounds like another dyslexic moment for me.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads