Skip to main content
Topic: The "Stinkin Lincoln" is being striped!!! (Read 37424 times) previous topic - next topic

The "Stinkin Lincoln" is being striped!!!

Reply #435
Quote from: Cougar5.0;233634
Good deal! Wow! I can't believe insurance is so high - I though $360/year was a lot when I was that age :hick:

IT was!!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #436
Quote from: daboss351;233618
ITS
DONE
and insured
got to wait ten days to register it and hope I can pass inspection with my tires I have on it
all thats left is body work and interior reassembly.

how bad was it to get the title?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #437
didnt get a title
dont need one
and that was short lived.
Alt isnt charging the battery so it started giving me TONS of electrical problems, and its been running off the battery so it took forever to get it back in my yard form the street....

Vin you had that alt tested did you not? and you said it was good? well it HOWLS like hell, and isnt charging........
im gonna go over my wireing and trouble shoot it before I point my finger at you, but the howling worrys me.

Now I got a harness from a junkyard tarurus to run the wires. I hooked A to A and I to I from the V/R and cut the others off. Ran a 175 amp fuse and 4 gauge battery cable to the starter solinoid and connected the stock feed wire to the fuse as well.
BUT my alt harness wires DID NOT match the colors of the A and I wires.... but I hooked them up the way the online said to. IDK what to do guys, I got 8 more days to figure it out, or im gonna be paying insurance on a car i cant drive. I cant afford that....
O and I have my OWN insurance policy. I am not on my moms, because if i was i would be insured on her cobra, and her rate would go sky high...... Thanks mom for screwing me over.... O and because of having my own insurance, im a "minor fileing" so I have to wait 10 days to register the car... sucks to be under 18...
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #438
Never mind wiring colours, pay attention to the position they occupy in the connector instead. The 2G and 3G regulator plugs are the same but wire colours and functions are different. Also, did you connect the small side terminal to the regulator plug? The 3G alternator needs that to function.

*EDIT* I just remembered you've got a Mark VII, which, if I remember correctly, is externally regulated and used a 1-G alternator originally. If this is the case, pay particular attention to my note at the bottom of the diagram below about externally regulated cars.

Really you should only need two wires going to the alternator: One from the ignition switch (I) and one for the main output. The other two wires in the regulator plug just go back to the alternator, one to the side terminal and one to the main output terminal as shown below. The second pic shows the side terminal I was referring to.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #439
you have 2 plugs on the back of a 2g alt.

1 has 2 blk/o wires and a w/blk.
the other has g/red, w/blk, and yellow.

cut all 3 wires off the plug with the blk/o wires. blk/o wires go to stud on the back of the alt. the w/blk needs to be spliced onto the single wire connector(that hopefully you got on the taurus harness). this plug should connect into the 3g alt.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #440
this is my write up i used
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00081.html
so idk if theres more to it im missing
but thats how u hook up mine and its not working...
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #441
Yes,I had it checked.Take it down to Autozone or wherever and have it checked again.I thought yesterday the car was running "amazing".If the alternator is bad,I'll shoot you a refund.It's easy.It sounded good when it was checked.Like I said,we can work it out.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #442
That Lincolns Online writeup is very vague and doesn't look particularly accurate (or safe, for that matter - using a 1/4" bolt and nut to secure the alternator?!?!?!? And leaving that 175A megafuse exposed like that?). You'd be much better off using my diagram above. Simpler, easier to troubleshoot, and guaranteed to work (with a functional alternator, of course)...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #443
ill figure it out.....
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #444
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;233759
That Lincolns Online writeup is very vague and doesn't look particularly accurate (or safe, for that matter - using a 1/4" bolt and nut to secure the alternator?!?!?!? And leaving that 175A megafuse exposed like that?). You'd be much better off using my diagram above. Simpler, easier to troubleshoot, and guaranteed to work (with a functional alternator, of course)...

ill have to re do it then like yours
thanks alot
and i covered my fuse, im not stupid.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #445
there shouldnt have been any question about getting the "terminals" right. there is 1 plug on a 2g that will plug into the 3g. the other plug with the 2 blk w/ orange striped wires needs to be cut, and a ring terminal crimped on and placed on the rear stud. the white wire w/ blk stripe has a seperate female connector the plugs into the stator.

here's another pic:

1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #446
my car came with a externally regulated 1g
so there was only 1 plug and it wouldnt fit in the 3g alt, it was 2 wires and ran to the voltage regulator, then there was two other wires running to were ever they go, u cut those off and attach them to the 3g plug the A and I wires(like noted on the plug)
I wonder if doing it that way will screw up my car?
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #447
so if i run A wire to the alt it should fix it??
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #448
once this is fixed im gonna do the biggest freaking brake stand I cant possibly get out of my tires on my 17's
need to vent my anger in a positive way, and i need to get the old tires off the rims so BAKE EM OFF!!!
gonna get a camera and tape it its gonna be interesting to say the least
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #449
Quote from: daboss351;233794
so if i run A wire to the alt it should fix it??

That depends on what you mean by running the A wire to the alt. If you look at my diagram (and 32vfoxbird's photo, which is essentially a photograph of what I've drawn) you can see that the yellow/white stripe A wire goes from the regulator plug to the output stud. The white/black stripe S wire goes to the side terminal (Stator). The only wire you need to run from your old regulator to the new alternator is the "I" wire. Cut it off the old regulator and connect it to the I wire on the new regulator plug. Disconnect your old regulator completely, as it is no longer required.