Skip to main content
Topic: If you have done a 5.0 HO conversion/swap you NEED a HO fuel pump (Read 8620 times) previous topic - next topic

If you have done a 5.0 HO conversion/swap you NEED a HO fuel pump

I discovered how much of a difference this makes today. When I did my HO swap I installed a 155 l/hr fuel pump. I never knew how much of a difference this makes.

My buddy has an 86 Mark VII that was a SEFI 5.0 SO that we converted to a HO with a 3.55 Traction-Lok. We used the stock SO pump and the car seemed to run good. After my HO swap was done we noticed how much stronger my T-bird felt vs. his Mark VII and we chalked that up to lighter weight/GT-40P heads/and the Comp cam. So just for fun we decided to swap in a 155l /hr pump today (which went well except when we broke the passenger side strap bolt and had to get a new bolt :hick: ). After we were done we took it out for a drive. The car responded MUCH, MUCH better. It acclelerated much better and passing power was so much better than it was before. With the stock SO pump the car responded better than stock but now it just jumps forward like someone kicked it in the ass:D . It runs soooooo much better. That stock 69 l/hr SO pump must be working overtime trying to feed a HO. If you have a HO swap car put in a HO pump. I swear you'll be amazed at the difference this will make.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
ill agree on noticeable power, the stock pumps are configured as "good nuff" from the oem.

I went with the 3.8L supercharge fuel pump because it was better than stock (90 lph). 

Does anyone in our local auto parts world carry the 155lph pump over the counter?

perhaps you might wann point out what LPH pump an actual HO car has so no one is confussing or associating standard equipment with aftermarket.

Reply #2
I did the H.O. swap,and the fuel pump was changed at that time.I figured that went without question.There's a reason that Ford used a different fuel pump with the H.O engines.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Quote from: jcassity;146623
ill agree on noticeable power, the stock pumps are configured as "good nuff" from the oem.

I went with the 3.8L supercharge fuel pump because it was better than stock (90 lph). 

Does anyone in our local auto parts world carry the 155lph pump over the counter?

perhaps you might wann point out what LPH pump an actual HO car has so no one is confussing or associating standard equipment with aftermarket.

Ah good point. A stock HO pump is 88 l/hr where as the SO pump he was using was 69 l/hr.

As for finding a 155 l/hr pump at a parts store it might be hard. I think Advance can order one but it ends up being cheaper to just order one from Summit or some other source.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
I had a 155 holley pump in my bird, but it shiznit the bed and I now am running just a SO pump.  Have had nothing but stuttering problems accelerating hard with it since.  I knew you needed a bigger pump with the HO but figured I would try a stock one and see first hand the effects.  you can actually feel it fall on it's face at around 4-4500, it actually feels like I am letting off the throttle.

Reply #5
hmm might look into this. id really like my car to have what it needs. *flies over to ebay*
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #6
What size are the pumps from a '90/'91 4.6 Crown Vic?I have a couple of them lying around.I knew they had 19# injectors s well.Anybody have any idea?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
thanks for the tip i wonder if that is the reason that some times when running my bird that it runs like a dream and some times when i stop at a redlight or stop sign when it idling it dies
:birdsmily:1985thunderchicken with 5.0 and dual pipes and more to come

Reply #8
The fuel pumps in the 96-97 DOHC cobras were standard 150lph pumps. Should be able to get em at most auto parts chains.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]http://www.fquick.com/slicksport88
88 Sport - 5.0HO, Mass Air, A9L, 73mm C&L meter, BBK CAI, 255 lph pump, 1.7 roller rockers,Professional Products damper, Chuck W motor mounts, BBK shorties & H-pipe, Flowmaster 40 series, 8.8 rear w/3.27's, 93 Cobra M/C, BAER 13in. drilled/slotted rotors front and back, cobra calipers, Russell braided brake lines front & back, C/C plates, 03cobra rims, 255/40/17 Nitto 555's all around

Reply #9
You have to watch the newer style fuel pumps.They have an electrical plug that ours don't.Ours have the two wires that plug onto the blades.The newer ones are designed for a small plug.

Reply #10
Dont mean to hijack but I have a question and this seems like a good thread for it. Is there such a thing as too much fuel pump for the car? I am planning on putting in a Walbro #GSS340 255 LPH fuel pump. I am thinking it will be fine but unfortunately we didnt do any high performance classes at school and i figured i would ask all of you more experienced people.
Thanks

Reply #11
I could see why; thats the next thing I plan to do on my car.

Reply #12
unless your running Turbos, a supercharger or lots of Nitrous, a 255 is WAY overkill.

Reply #13
Well a supercharger may be in the future, after the trick flow kit. I figure it wont hurt anything though until then.

Reply #14
Quote from: 88sportcoupe;146778
Well a supercharger may be in the future, after the trick flow kit. I figure it wont hurt anything though until then.

It'll be fine, slap it in.

Back on topic, I'm suprised, it seems like everybody had problems with the SO pump when HO converted...I drove around with the T-bird for 2 1/2 years on the SO pump and never had a problem with it being lazy anywhere in the rpm range(FWIW-these engines are done making power past 4700rpm)....I had the SO pump  out one day(sock fell off) so I installed a Walbro 190lph pump that I bought and noticed no difference...except that the Walbro was a little louder when you were low on gas.  The car even went 14.50's before I installed the Walbro pump in horrible conditions...the following year after adding an electric fan and U/D pulley, it went 14.30's in perfect temps(but into a silly stong headwind).

The pump made no discernable difference for me.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads