Skip to main content
Topic: If you have done a 5.0 HO conversion/swap you NEED a HO fuel pump (Read 8619 times) previous topic - next topic

If you have done a 5.0 HO conversion/swap you NEED a HO fuel pump

Reply #15
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;149816
I
The pump made no discernable difference for me.

It made no difference because for some reason you did not experience the problems we are having.
Trust me, if you were here I would take you for a rip and show you first hand the problem with a stock pump on an HO swap with slight mods.  Hell maybe I will go to Welland and Take baXo for a rip this weekend and he can tell you what it feels like.:hick:

Reply #16
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;149816

The pump made no discernable difference for me.

I'm going to have to reinforce that statement. My 3700lb 20th went 13.7 @ 102 MPH (~ 270 RWHP) when it was N/A using the stock SO pump. That was a 9.7:1 compression P-headed combo that had excellent accleration too (as the track times verify).

OTOH, since technically a 70 lph pump is only good for about 225 flywheel HP, I would advise upgrading the pump to at least a 110 lph pump (~350 FWHP) on N/A HO conversions. :hick:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #17
If you're talking about the top end buck, that's not due to your fuel pump.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #18
It could also have to do with the age of the pump. The pump in his Mark VII was 21 years old so I doubt it was still working at full capacity;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
no, I am talking mid rpm and up, say around 3000-6000rpm, sometimes it starts sooner, depending on how hard it hooks.  or if I spin it bad you can feel it just die.

Reply #20
Quote from: slicksport88;146658
The fuel pumps in the 96-97 DOHC cobras were standard 150lph pumps. Should be able to get em at most auto parts chains.

oh really?  sure about that?

if so, do you know if the aftermarket matches oem? as far as LPH?

Reply #21
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;150274
no, I am talking mid rpm and up, say around 3000-6000rpm, sometimes it starts sooner, depending on how hard it hooks.  or if I spin it bad you can feel it just die.

Hmm I'm not sure. His Mark VII just felt low on power till about 3,000 rpms then it would wake up till about 4,500 rpms. If you floored it at 60 mph it would lag off as rpms climbed due to lack of fuel. New fuel pump solved it all though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #22
I got a 255HP pump I gotta install one of these days...just not particularly looking forward to dropping the tank.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #23
Quote from: Red_LX;150616
I got a 255HP pump I gotta install one of these days...just not particularly looking forward to dropping the tank.

It's fun:hick: . Just make sure you have a helper as you'll need it taking the tank down and putting it back up.

Reply #24
I'm going to have to reinforce that statement. My 3700lb 20th went 13.7 @ 102 MPH (~ 270 RWHP) when it was N/A using the stock SO pump. That was a 9.7:1 compression P-headed combo that had excellent accleration too (as the track times verify).

OTOH, since technically a 70 lph pump is only good for about 225 flywheel HP, I would advise upgrading the pump to at least a 110 lph pump (~350 FWHP) on N/A HO conversions.

OK, it's math time again!

1 gallon = 3.8 liters. = approximately 6.5-6.8 pounds for one gallon/liter of gasoline.  I like to use 6.8 so here goes........

SO injectors = 14 lbs/hr = 2.06 Gal/hr = 7.824 liters/hr
8 SO injectors = 62.592 liters/hr

HO injectors = 19 lbs/hr = 2.79 gal/hr = 10.62 liters/hr
8 HO injectors = 84.96 liters/hr

using 6.5 pounds to the gallon we get:

SO injectors = 14 lbs/hr = 2.15 Gal/hr = 8.185 liters/hr
8 SO injectors = 65.486 liters/hr

HO injectors = 19 lbs/hr = 2.92 gal/hr = 11.108 liters/hr
8 HO injectors = 88.862 liters/hr

Now, gasoline does expand and contract a decent amount with temperature (colder gas is denser gas -- a gallon will weigh more when cold)  Believe me on this one.  You can ask anyone who has worked on aircraft and had them filled up overnight only to watch them vent gas an hour or so after sunrise.

14 pound injectors have been proven to sufficiently feed a stock HO motor at stock fuel pressure on a dyno.  There is almost no safety margin though.  I'm gonna guess with a 270 RWHP combo, that at part throttle and idle conditions the car ran fine with an SO pump.  At full tilt I bet she started runnin real lean after 4500 RPM.

Also, let me add that changing fuel pressure changes flow rates for both injectors AND pumps.  As you raise pressure, injectors will actually flow more, however a fuel pump will flow less.  More pressure on the pump means more restriction upstream.  More pressure to an injector means more force behind the gas coming out of it, simply put anyway........

A chart for reference
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #25
Paul sometimes you amaze me.
One 88

Reply #26
So for a TC;

1 gallon = 3.8 liters. = approximately 6.5-6.8 pounds for one gallon/liter of gasoline. I like to use 6.8 so here goes........

"Green Top" injectors = 30 lbs/hr = 4.41 Gal/hr = 16.758 liters/hr
4 x injectors = 67.032 liters/hr

"Brown Top" injectors = 36 lbs/hr = 5.29 gal/hr = 20.118 liters/hr
4 x injectors = 80.472 liters/hr

That's a LOT less then I would have figured! WOW! I have a 255 pump in my car, and I have a set of 56# injectors...

"56"s = 56 lbs/hr = 8.235 gal/hr = 31.3 liters/hr
4 x injectors = 125.2 liters/hr

I have 100 extra lph for nothing! In fact, by these calculations, 255 / 4 = 63.75 / 3.8 = 16.77 gal/hr x 6.8 = 114# injectors!!??!

Reply #27
You have to account for your fuel pressure at boost in a turbo or blower application.  Again higher pressure = more injector flow, but less pump flow.  TC injectors are still rated at 40 or so PSI when in fact at full boost they see more.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #28
Quote from: thunderjet302;150618
It's fun:hick: . Just make sure you have a helper as you'll need it taking the tank down and putting it back up.

It's especially fun when you DON'T have a helper and a little more than 1/2 tank...it's amazing what you can do when you're doing it out of necessity.
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #29
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;150651
It's especially fun when you DON'T have a helper and a little more than 1/2 tank...it's amazing what you can do when you're doing it out of necessity.

yeah, try doing exactly that 3 times in one week like I had to. NOT FUN.:flame: