Skip to main content
Topic: Unknown "tining" noise....very confusing (Read 1806 times) previous topic - next topic

Unknown "tining" noise....very confusing

Ever since I had the Exhaust done, I've been able to hear a lot more noises on the car than I did before. One of these noises is a loud "tining" metal vibrating noise from under the car. The guy who did my exhaust heard it, but was unable to pinpoint the location.

It occurs in the 1500rpm range. At idle, you can barely hear it, if at all. If I rev higher, it seems to go away, but comes back when I let out of the throttle.

I'm getting mixed thoughts on this. Some say my Catalytic converter is bad, and stuff is rattling around in there. That noise, plus the combination of my car consistently sputtering out and losing power after just going over 5lbs of boost, made me think....clogged cat. Would cause a power lossage, and perhaps make that noise.

But, when I get under the car and listen, it sounds like it might be coming from transmission bell housing. Like a tooth might have broken off the flex-plate. Problem is, there's no Inspection plate, and I can't look inside the trans to see if that indeed is the problem.

Some have even speculated to me it might be the torque converter!?

I'm going to try to record this noise so everyone can hear it, but until then, the best I can describe it is a tin-can metal noise. And it's consistent. Always around the 1500rpm range. If it were the cat, you think it would happen all the time. Which makes me think...trans.

EDIT: I just put the car in drive, foot on brake, and could rev it to 2k. The engine DID NOT stall. However, I don't know what the stall speed is, so that might not be such a big thing.
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #1
Hey dude. If it sounds really hollow and sharp it's probably the cat.
I have had lots of cars come through my shop with cat problems like this. It's the frequency of engine vibration that causes the noise only at certain rpm. Come to think of it, did you ever think cat heat sheild?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

Reply #2
I know there are a couple bolts holding the shield on, but how that could be making the noise?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #3
my moms jeep the cat vibrates till about 2k then it stops
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #4
The engine isn't supposed to "stall" - the stall speed is basically the speed at which the engine can no longer rev any higher against the hydraulic pressure in the torque converter. If you could rev up to 2000 RPM, then 2000 RPM would be your stall speed. If you added 50 horses to your engine but changed nothing else your stall speed would raise because the more powerful engine would be capable of overcoming more hydraulic pressure.

With your power loss and the noise a clogged cat is certainly a likely suspect, but the surest way to tell would be to get under the car with a mechanic's stethoscope (or a backyard mechanic's stethoscope, which is a stick of wood jammed into your ear).

It could be lers, too - ever since I had my duals put on I would get a strange noise at around 55-60 MPH. I originally thought the rear might be failing, as the noise was coming from the back of the car, but it turned out the baffles inside the Flowtech Terminator lers must have been faulty, as the noise was coming from them. The baffles would vibrate at about 1200 RPM, which with my 2.73 gears worked out to 55-60 MPH.

Problem should be fixed now, though - in addition to the two Flowmaster lers I got off the TC parts car, I've also put the 3.55 rear in. Even if I don't use those lers I won't be anywhere near 1200 RPM at cruising speed anymore :hick:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
I'de bet it is your heat shields.

Reply #6
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;145620
I'de bet it is your heat shields.

Yep. When I first had my T-bird the heat shield on the stock cat rattled at 2000 rpms. It was loud and it sounded like my car was going to fall apart:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
The heat shields are those Metal Covers on the top and bottom of the cat correct? They appear to only be held on by 4 small bolts...
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #8
Yes, you got it.  They end up rusting off on most of my cars.  Or they get removed in favor of cat-lessness.

Reply #9
i cant help it i gotta chime in so did my cat when i first started driving. drove me nuts then someone told me what it was then i was like oh alright ill leave it :hick:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #10
just take the shields off.  I dont have any on my cats.

I actually just chopped open my cats on my spare h-pipe and removed the insides and welded back up, and reinstalled it.

Reply #11
Cant take the shields off of of 2.3L car. The hanger is welded to the shield.

Just because its bolted on doesnt mean the bolts havnt worked loose.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
Three words.

Check
Your
Starter
88 TC, Lots of Mods.

Reply #13
Why would my starter be making that noise? More importantly, how could I check it?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #14
make sure it is tight and not loose.  How do you check it?  crawl under and try and move it.