Skip to main content
Topic: Asshol...err...I mean, opinions needed. (Read 4804 times) previous topic - next topic

Asshol...err...I mean, opinions needed.

Hello Everybody. Here is the deal. Between tax returns and my 5-year bonus at work I've got some money coming my way within the next few months. I have a few different things I'd like to do with the car but unfortunately the money I'm getting will not be enough to do them all.

So my question to you is which of these would you do if you had to choose one of them?

1. Complete re-paint.
2. Installation of HO 5.0
3. TC rear end/CHE control arms/new bushings throughout.

I'm just weighing my options right now and trying to decide if I should spend the money on the Cougar or use it to pay down some debt....
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Re: Asshol...err...I mean, opinions needed.

Reply #1
well is the car decent if so id say get rid of the debt.
2001 Buick Regal LS (DD):hick:

Got that fox rash again!

-Resident smartass! :ies:

- Don't listen to the naysayers. For every person who actually helps with your project there will be 10 who will discourage you all the while thinking that they are helping. 99% of all people have good intentions. That doesn't make them right.- XR7 Dave - SCCOA.Com

Reply #2
The car is okay.  It has sun damage on the roof and the clearcoat is peeling on the hood.  The paint job is pretty much beyond saving and it needs to be repainted.  The body, though, is straight and rust free.

The engine is okay too.  It has worn piston rings so it burns a little oil but nothing you can see in the exhaust.  It loses about a quart every 3000 miles but has proven to be very reliable since I bought the car in October of '02.

It's just a stock '87 LS.  It's got 121,xxx miles on it right now.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #3
Getting out of debt is never a bad thing beyond that I would go with new paint

Reply #4
I also say debt, if you can get rid of it do it. Then start gathering parts and do the 5.0HO swap.
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #5
If you decide to work on the car, think safety first.  Do the suspension. #3

Reply #6
You sure you're not just saying that because of your recent experience, Brian?  :giggle:
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #7
No, Jim, trust me.  The last thing I wanna do is see someone else get a new rear end in thier car before me!  I have, very many times, almost lost control of the t-bird, even with good 15" tires because of soft worn out stock suspension.

Reply #8
I say do up your ride.
If you die tommorow what did you have,no debt,yay.
Do what you want and make your cat the way you want it.
The hell with the creditors, make them wait for there money.

Reply #9
pay off your debts.. your money will pile up much more quickly.. and you'll reach all your goals

your engine, I'm sure, is fine I have 184k miles on my 5.0 (granted its an HO, but same block..) leaks somewhat (rear main and valve covers), doesn't burn much, if any oil (spark plugs are always clean when I change them) and I've made 80 passes down a 1/4 mile track since I bought it last year, previous owner had raced it as well, don't know how often... there's no knocks/oil pressure's good, compression's good, etc - not bragging, trying to make a point... my point is - your engine's fine for now.. I'd upgrade suspension and rear, too, until you decide you want performance to match it..

Reply #10
I did the 5 lug/big brakes conversion, sway bar, sport rack&pinion, poly bushings, mustang rims/tires first.  This gave the car drivability.  It made it more fun to play with even though it was still weak in the engine department.  After all you don't have to be going very fast to enjoy taking a corner much faster than before or just making quick maneuvers on the street.  That cost me about $300 for front and about $300 for the back.  This engine swap I am currently doing is going to end up costing at least $1500.  I am doing it now to put some power into the car.  This is my phase two of drivability.  Also with all of the major items in the car I won't have to worry about scratching paint the whole time Im doing all of this work.  Next I will paint the car.  Then I will do the interior, which will be the most fun for me.  Oh yeah, paying off your debt is what you should do, but that's no fun.  I should be paying off my debts as well, but there will always be excuses not to waste money on your car.  I just decided to put those excuses to rest.  With your engine and paint basically still functioning, you should go after the suspension first.  If you like to drive as I do you will love the handling improvements.  Jason.

Reply #11
when i saw the asshole, i thought it was going to be a thread about me :p

i say get out of debt, because debt leads to less spending money
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #12
PAY OFF THE DEBT !!!!

Then put the money you were sending the creditors in a "Cougar" fund.. Should be a lot easier to save money for your car, than to pay bills...

Reply #13
Well guys I appreciate the advice.  Even though I'd really like the instant gratification of improving the car I know that the responsible thing to do is to pay down the debt.  The money I'm getting isn't going to pay it off but it will cut about a year off of the payments so I can get it out from under me that much quicker. 

The only thing is that I had really hoped to be able to do something to the car before Cat Jam this year.  I keep the old Cougar clean but it just looks tired.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #14
what to do when u have extra money?
Well if u spend money on the car for anything and something goes wrong u will be in more debt then u are now. Pay off your debt and u can wait for deals or untill something goes wrong at least u can go back in debt to fix it.

Swap in 5.0 then tranny might not last with new found power, rearend will not like u.
If u paint the car it will look better and unless it realy needs a paint job i would leave it for now.

Worse thing is money in pocket and no idea how to wast it i meen spend it.
Even worse when u spend it and the next day a better deal comes by.