Skip to main content
Topic: question on brakes (Read 3998 times) previous topic - next topic

question on brakes

Ok so i sent out my order to summit today for tune up stuff, and smog eliminator bracket for a 5.0 mustang which im praying fits, im thinking it should. Now i also sent the guy on here 45 for the mac h pipe, so i figured best get my old one out. Someone make my life easier, the nuts are metric or standard, and what size. and any tips on how to get it out. freaking no room under the  thing, and im working with a 2 ton jack and 3 ton jack stands.
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

question on brakes

Reply #1
My Stock unit used 5/8 socket to remove the  nuts at the headers,and 9/16 socket for the rest.Why did you get the smog delete kit when you could've just got a shorter belt for less?Just unbolt the two nuts on each side holding the H-Pipe to the headers,remove the smog tube from the pipe,and unbolt the pipe from the flow tubes.Nothing to it.You'll have to have the flow tubes lengthened to fit the H-Pipe,though,as the H-Pipe is too short for your chassis.You may also have to watch the clearance between the pipe and the tranny shifter linkage.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

question on brakes

Reply #2
If the linkage hits the pipe just *dimple* the pipe a bit with a ball pean hammer.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

question on brakes

Reply #3
If you don't want to run a shorter belt just disconect the smog stuff and leave the pump. It'll just spin and pump air into the engine bay. That's what I did for now. Honestly I can't even hear the  thing anyways.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

question on brakes

Reply #4
Oh,one more thing,the factory h-pipe also has two metal "hangers" that fit into a plate between the tranny and tranny mount.You'll see them.Sometimes the pipe can be hard to pull from the hanger.Spray some kind of lubricant to help,or,just cut the hangers off.You won't need them anymore.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

question on brakes

Reply #5
hangers are rotted off so im gonna have to repair them, flow tubes are going to flia with the h pipe, as they are 2 1/4, which are to small. i had a 5/8 on it and could NOT for the life of me get them to budge! Gonna have to get some pentrant. I didn't buy the smog delate, it was a gift, along with the gaskets plugs and wires. so i figured if im gonna do it ill do it right the first time you know. I think i can get away with no smog pump in RI just the cats. Im not ruining anything just in case.
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

question on brakes

Reply #6
Most off road pipe don'tse the hangers.Mine didn't have them.What are you going to do for flow tubes and the rest of the exhaust?If you have them done at a ler shop,have them weld in ball and socket s like the factory had.They are the best.

question on brakes

Reply #7
I was planning on seeing what i could do myself. Im custom doing it my own way with stuff i buy. I might look into ball socket but i think im gonna do those big ass industrial clamps, so i can pull it out if i need to. I have 2 1/2 flowmasters, and im gonna buy a length of 2 1/2 to make flowtubes. Then im gonna adapt some fox stang tails to come out right behind the rear tires at an angle. If i can do it, should look very nice. Don't worry no bubble gumming here. Im waiting and buying the parts i need now, i got it running now it comes apart to get fixed the right way the first time!
my $300 beater ;)

question on brakes

Reply #8
Also there are usually flage/tubes that go to the back of the heads.  There was on my 83'.  What I did was unbolt them from the heads and then cut the tubes off.  You then take the one on the driver's side and put it on the passenger side and vise versa.  they are then totally blocked off.

question on brakes

Reply #9
If you got a torch heat the nuts up red the"ll come right off.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

question on brakes

Reply #10
Sometimes,heat to the nuts will help them get off.Sometimes,it's simpler than that.LOL.

question on brakes

Reply #11
lol i have a leaky gas line flames are a big NO NO
my $300 beater ;)

question on brakes

Reply #12
If nothing else,cut the pipes as close to the header as you can,then pull the header off from the top and unbolt the s once the headers are off the car.You can spend a little time and some effort,or,a lot of time and effort.

question on brakes

Reply #13
Quote from: daboss351;144750
lol i have a leaky gas line flames are a big NO NO

i think you should fix that FIRST, then!
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

question on brakes

Reply #14
going to look for the lines today, hell no one carries shiznit for my car, now vin your sure thunderbird/cougar fuel lines will work? i need a main and return right at the front. And what kind of tool do i need to remove those weird ass fittings?
my $300 beater ;)