Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 T-Bird (It's back! New pics pg. 7) (Read 11111 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 T-Bird (It's back! New pics pg. 7)

Reply #15
smooth
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #16
Quote from: daboss351;152368
smooth

:iagree:
:birdsmily:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, CenterForce Stage 2 Dual Friction Clutch, B&M Ripper Shifter, T3/T4 Turbonetics 63 A/R Turbo, Rods Stainless Tubular Ceramic Coated Header, Boost Controller @ 15Psi, Kirban AFPR, 42lb Injectors, 190LPH Walbro Fuel pump, Ranger Roller Cam, 3" Aluminum Intake Tubing, K&N Cone,  KYB Struts, Koni Red Horizontals/Verticals, Eibach Sportline Springs, Racer Walsh C/C Plates, Polyurethane Bushings, 17x9 Cobra R Wheels

Reply #17
Finally got word from the paint shop. The paint manufacturer will cover the materials, but not the labor. I suppose it's better than nothing. Thursday I'll take the car over for an estimate...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar
Electrical mods: too many to list :D

Reply #18
I swapped these in yesterday (Mike, those C panels turned out great):
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #19
I think I agree that a smooth hood looks better. Okay, what about this quick photochop: which looks better, grille or TC?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #20
i like the tc nose, but thats just me
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #21
By the way, I got the word from the paint shop. $4610, full repaint, including bumper trim, and fixing all rust and dings. I have dings on both sides as well as on the hood and roof (hailstorms suck). Rust is in the usual places as well as in a couple of spots below the rear window, and he'll fix all the rust on the inside of the trunk lid (not much, just a little, but will be fixed). He *might* remove the side trim and paint beneath it, depends on whether he can find replacement trim and/or pull mine without destroying it. I told him to use his best judgement (it's a family business, he's *very* reputable and I trust him -- he repainted the car before). The finish will be factory (paint + clearcoat), not sanded to showroom, but it's a DD so I don't want to get really crazy.

I checked out another shop that's been there forever and does similar quality work (perhaps better). They couldn't even come close. $5k minimum, with no rust repair.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #22
I think I like the TC header a bit more...for what it's worth, I have one in mint condition that looks like it should match your paint just about perfectly.

-Don

P.S.
Are ya making good use of the TC sway bar yet? lol
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Parted & Gone-'88 T-bird Sport, 351W swap, ported GT40 heads

Reply #23
Quote from: Sick88Tbird;159819
I think I like the TC header a bit more...for what it's worth, I have one in mint condition that looks like it should match your paint just about perfectly.

-Don

P.S.
Are ya making good use of the TC sway bar yet? lol

Tempting, tempting...I just might make another road trip :D
As for the sway bar, hell yeah! It will get even better when I stick new sneakers on the rims. I'm on Z-rated Bridgestone Turanza-Z Revo's and they're down to the hard compound. I'm still trying to see if I can first score some snowflakes before making a visit to tirerack.com.

Edit: Turanza-Revo has apparently been renamed the Turanza-LS. The review below shows why I originally bought them -- among grand touring tires (and possibly more than that), they were the best in wet weather.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+ResponsEdge&tirePageLocQty=
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

The bird has a new beak

Reply #24
I made a small switch last night (thanks Don):
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #25
I've always likes teh TC nose better then the grills on the 87-8's. Then again. I still prefer an 87-88 cougar to even that. It looks great man. Good job!!

Reply #26
WOW, that is pretty close to our paint color...maybe a hair lighter...I might be able to set you up with a set of the mustang pony rims if you're interested...I'll have to make a phone call...the guy I bought the cougar off of still hasn't given them to me...they would be bare though and obviously need tires...but you're looking to do that anyway.

Give me a call if you'd like to try that route.

-Don

P.S.
Your panel alignment job with that header panel looks pretty good!
Project 3G: Grandpa Grocery Getter-'85 Crown Vic LTD 2-door, 351W with heavily ported/polished GT40 heads, heavily ported/polished Typhoon Power Plus upper & lower intake, Comp Cams 265DEH retarded 1*, FAST EZ-EFI, HD T5, 8.8" 3.73 trac lock with extra clutches, 3G alt. swap, '99 CVPI front brakes, '09 CVPI rear disc brakes, '00 CVPI booster&m/c + wilwood adj prop valve.

Reply #27
Actually I picked up a set of snowflakes on the way back from CJ. They're sitting in storage until I can find a shop to refinish them.

The reason my paint looks lighter than the header panel is because my clearcoat is beat-up. I can't wait to get the car painted (the guy at the paint shop says he can't do it until October at the earliest).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade
T/C rear sway bar

Reply #28
You might be able to use a little rubbing compound to freshen up your paint, it'll help remove the loose oxidized clear coat...did wonders for my buddy's '71 maverick and he had all sorts of  burned into his paint.

Can't wait to see it all painted up again with a nice set of snowflakes...are you going to get them powdercoated?  or just natural with clear?

Reply #29
the snowflakes def need refinishing but only one small spot of curb rash. Tc nose looks great man!!! cant wait to see the snowflakes on there
my $300 beater ;)