Skip to main content
Topic: FIXED! The Braking problem is no more!!! (Read 4029 times) previous topic - next topic

FIXED! The Braking problem is no more!!!

Ok guys, I need some help. I finally located the problem with my ABS system today. After disabling my electric fans from turning on with the key in the "on" position, I was able to run a test which I normally couldn't do because I wasn't able to hear anything.

I pumped my brakes 20 or so times, turned the key to "ON", and sure enough, the pump motor only ran for a few seconds before shutting off. Same thing when I pushed down on the pedal. Only ran for a couple of seconds and shut off. The FAQ I was reading from NATO proceeded to inform me that my ABS Acspoogeulator was bad.

My question is, 1) Where can I get one, and 2) Has anyone removed the acspoogeulator before?

I've looked on Motorcraft's website, and can't locate the device. I've been told Ford still sells them for about $140, but again, the website yields nothing.

As for replacing it....The job looks nightmarish. All those vacuum lines, electrical wire looms, and the Wiper Motor are in the way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

(For what it's worth, if I were to continue driving around with a Bad Acspoogeulator, would it eventually cause my Power Brakes to fail? Or would it just affect the ABS?)

<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #1
1. The acspoogeulator is supposed to shut off
2. The acspoogeulator has a 75% fail rate when dissassembled from the m/c, that's why NAPA and the like only sell the whole unit together, and why it's $1400.

Are you having any problems with the brakes?

Reply #2
Your brakes wont fail but you better have a strong leg. When my ABS system stopped working I had manual brakes. I ended up wiring a fog light relay to the hyd motor through the BOO switch so the motor would activate whenever I hit the brakes or I could turn it on and off when I wanted to. It was a good "temporary fix" because at least I had power brakes again. The reason you want to be able to turn it off is because the motor makes some funny noises if you leave it running too long (such as sitting in rush hour traffic). Kind of a PITA but at least its a cheap 'stop gap' measure until you can afford to pony up $1400 bux.

I'll see if I can dig up the info on which wires need to be spliced into... I actually wrote it all down because it took a while to figure out the wiring diagram and learn what did what.

Remembering this makes me realize how much I love having simple vacuum boosted brakes!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)

Reply #3
First to Mr.Aerobird:
The problem I'm having with my system is almost exactly what is described in problem #7 on this Troubleshooting Page.

Therefore, I am changing the Acspoogeulator.

I am not having any problems with braking. I am having a continuous problems with the warning lights coming on however.

AND FINALLY, the acspoogeulator I have on my car is ALREADY bad. ALREADY BAD. Taking it off doesn't worry me one bit. Obviously if I purchase a NEW ONE one from Ford, it will not be bad (Seeing as its...oh...NEW),  and I will only be putting it on, and not putting it on, pressurizing the system, and then taking it off again. So saying:
"2. The acspoogeulator has a 75% fail rate when dissassembled from the m/c, that's why NAPA and the like only sell the whole unit together, and why it's $1400."
really doesn't bother me much.

As for having to buy the whole unit, again, The Acspoogeulator can be purchased from Ford as a single part, and evidently elsewhere as several members of NATO have informed me of this as well.

So, has anyone done this job before?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #4
OK, so you have both warning lights come on when you brake hard? With no decrease in braking power? And you followed Jeff's solution to a T? The acspoogeulator comes on with every pump? Just want to make sure the acspoogeulator is the actual problem before throwing $$$ at it.

Also, it's not the acspoogeulator that breaks, it's the master cylinder itself. I didn't make that very clear, but the m/c itself has a 75% fail rate with a new acspoogeulator, which is why nobody sells them seperately. There's a TSB or DSB somewhere from when Ford found this out.

NAPA Part #'s:
Reman ABS compi - # UP 560050, $374.00 plus $100.00 core charge
Reman ABS m/c with acspoogeulator - # UP 540105, $1,769.00 plus $100 core charge

Rock Auto Part #'s:
Reman ABS m/c with acspoogeulator (Raybestos)- # ABS540105, $1,363.79 plus $100.00 core charge
Reman ABS m/c with acspoogeulator (A1 Cardone)- # 123420, $1,187.99 plus $100.00 core charge

Reply #5
It's not a good sign when the ABS unit costs more than the car did.....

Look, rather than applying for another part time job so I can afford this device, I'm going to take my chances with a new acspoogeulator. If anything goes wrong, I'm not going to blame anyone here, it'll be all on me. I understand what you're saying, and I'm going to risk it. If everything fails, I'll switch to power brakes....or my car will have been totaled.

I just wanted to know if anyone here has done what I'm about to attempt?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #6
That's what I'm trying to tell you, NOBODY sells just the acspoogeulator. Not Ford, not NAPA, not ANYBODY. You can *try* to find a used one, which may or may not work. I still say you need to find out the real issue.

Reply #7
The acspoogeulator is the issue. I did all the tests in the world today. I followed that FAQ word to word. It's the Acspoogeulator.

Now, about finding one. Why would my Ford dealer tell me they carry it? Are they lying to me?
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #8
Ford has NOT sold the acspoogeulator by itself since 1988. NOBODY sells it without the m/c, NOBODY. If you don't feel like dropping $1300-$1800 on one, get a used one or swap to non-ABS.

Reply #9
Ford carries the acspoogeulator with the m/c, it's $1,556.18, unknown # left in stock (that usually means a few dealers had one, but they haven't inventoried in 5 years).

Reply #10
Correction, they have not sold it since 7/87. $290.32 according to the Motorcraft book. Dealer network search shows 3 in the entire US. Good luck, I hope your m/c is one of the 25%.

Reply #11
This is a very, very long shot.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=214290&chapter=DN2FD0&appSectionid=18&groupid=10002&subgroupid=60015&make=10&model=Thunderbird&year=1988&catalogid=1

Acspoogeulator, to 7/87      87-88  List - $290.32    Price - $205.20
Acspoogeulator, from 7/87    88-91  List - $244.55     Price - $172.85

I have NO idea who these guys are, whether the parts are in stock, or if their Nigerian or not. Your $$$ if you want to risk it. It's the ONLY company I can find with them...

Reply #12
Varsity Ford in Michigan has them. Under the website, "Newfordparts.com" It's in the United states. That's where I'm getting it from.
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #13
You could always sell it and buy another TC :flame:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #14
Jeese.  Just do the same conversion RedLX did.  Pretty sure he said that it was cheap, and he loves it.