Skip to main content
Topic: FIXED! The Braking problem is no more!!! (Read 4030 times) previous topic - next topic

FIXED! The Braking problem is no more!!!

Reply #15
Quote from: DakotaEpic;141207
Jeese.  Just do the same conversion RedLX did.  Pretty sure he said that it was cheap, and he loves it.

Dude... DMC doesn't like to do stuff the easy way.

Reply #16
I say go with vacuum assisted brake setup. I priced it out and it was gonna be about $130 for everything.

Reply #17
Shoulda never got rid of the other car.......You knew what was wrong with THAT one.  What'll go next on this?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #18
Seriously, why would you pay that much for brakes for a TC?  Find some junk yards if you just want to throw money at the "problem".  Paying more for brakes than the car is a bad choice IMO.

Reply #19
Yeah dude, just convert to vacuum assisted brakes. It's no harder than trying to fix something on the ABS master cylinder, except that vac assisted brakes don't have any stupid electronic gizmos to go out.

If you have a junkyard near you, grab a booster from a fox mustang, go to the parts store and get a new '86 SVO (1 1/4" bore) or '85 Lincoln Town Car (1" bore) master cylinder, both under $40 new including the core charge, and get the brake line and fittings you need. If you don't come in under $100 I'd be surprised. I have a writeup on how to do it both here, and on turboford in the FAQ's.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #20
Quote from: V8Demon;141237
Shoulda never got rid of the other car.......You knew what was wrong with THAT one. What'll go next on this?

shiznit. he is NEVER gonna stop takin' flak for this is he? :rollin:

poor guy:(  i know ive made my share of less-than-optimal decisions, nuttin worse than the regret afterwards. all i can do is wish i had better judgement. "young and stupid"....
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #21
Soon as 5-lug happens or the ABS takes a dump I'm ripping EVERYTHING out of my car. No more 2-year only TC-specific brakes for me, I USE them too much! :hick:

Reply #22
Stick a hole in the floor where big work boots!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #23
convert to vacuum brakes already...  its not that hard and it will be cheaper than your acspoogeulator.  this is what I did and I love them..

Reply #24
I shoulda checked out this thread sooner...

You guys are babbling about shoulda done this, change the thing to vac booster, etc. BULL shiznit!!!. DMC apparently HAS done his home work and 99.9% likely has a bad acspoogeulator. The one was bad on my white TC when I bought it back in '97.. Had the same symptoms with pump short cycling and BOTH the ABS and Brake lights coming on under heavy braking... If you don't change it, nothing else is going to fail. Biggest issue is no reserve so if the electrical(ign switch) is off you have almost no brakes...

DMC...  Replacement of the acspoogeulator is a 5 minute job(lessee you vacuum guys convert one in five minutes :flip: ), there is a hex opening in the little  on top. All thats necessary to change it is a bit, extension, and ratchet... There are two types of acspoogeulators, one has a flat mating surface and I believe used a sealing washer(what was on my TC). The one I used was off a '86 LSC and has a tapered(flared) sealing point. Per Ford they do not interchange, but I've had the LSC unit on mine for almost 10 years now with no problem... I don't think it would be possible to swap the opposite though and get a good seal...

BTW before changing(removing) it, thoroughly clean around the opening in the top of the master cylinder assembly... Use some cleaner and a strong stream of water to wash it off(let it dry completely and check closely for any remaining dirt), the last thing you want is a big gob of  falling inside the MC when you remove the acspoogeulator...

Reply #25
Thankyou, thankyou, THANKYOU! Your response was to the point, concise, and highly informative, and best of all, no criticism of me!

If I may ask, do know of which vehicles I can pull an acspoogeulator off of to use for my car? I understand the Mark VII had them, but are there any other cars you know of, ones which might be more common in a junk yard, I can pull one off of? Also, whilst at the junkyard, if I am fortunate to locate one, would it be necessary to pump the brakes on that car before attempting to remove it?

Thanks again for the response. It was very helpful!
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #26
So no love for the part #'s and prices. I see how it is. (Might want to re-read your posts, not once did I call you a name or tell you to convert your brakes, and you exploded on me on every post)

The acspoogeulator is all in that 8/87 build date. So if your TC was built after that time, then the SC ones, etc will work. If it was before that, look for pre-88 LSC ones. They are ALL the same P/N though (2 p/n's) so you might as well just buy the new one and get it over with.

Reply #27
Not once Did I mention your name now did I?
<---One must always remember to Remain cool, calm and collected when dealing with your fellow man, especially on the Internet....
-DMC24guy
[/SIZE]

Reply #29
Michael's date info stating 8/87 as the change likely applies to both the Tbird & LSC.  Probably the '88-up units are different from the '87-earlier acspoogeulators(8-'87 would be considered the start of the new['88] model year). The differences would defiantly apply to my swap, as I pirated mine from a '86 and my '88 TC was built June '88...

BTW I see you are trying to get a new one, but if that doesn't work out here's a FYI... Watch out on taking one from a '88 LSC... The '88 LSCs were introduced early, around Feb/March '87... Not sure the actual differences in '87-'88 LSCs but that is also the point the LSC went to the 225HP HO vs the '86 style 200HP HO used in the '87s.