Skip to main content
Topic: Ode to body work. New pics added 7/7/07 (Read 2898 times) previous topic - next topic

Ode to body work. New pics added 7/7/07

I sand and sand all day.
I know this will make my cougar and bird look good one day.
Sanding Sanding Sanding it is no fun.
But I know everyone will love it when I'm done.
Yes you aren't the only one.
Get your ass up and get it done!

LOL Gotta do somthing to keep myself motivated. The sanding has to be the worst part of any body work. I need the Big Red Easy button for body work. You know just like in the staples comercials. When somebody invents that let me know! LOL!.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #1
I'm not good at body work. Besides the fact I lack the skills to make it look good (and it sucks), I also get impatient and rush things and they end up looking mediocre at best.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #2
There already is an easy button for that.....  it's called, take it to a body shop. ;)

Reply #3
Lol 1 Wld Brd  :welder: 
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I like doing body work and sanding. For me it's some good alone time :evilgrin:  It's been horrible not being able to start the body work on my toy :punchballs: although I'm getting closer to starting.

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #4
I hate doing body work, and properly suck at it. My problem is that I always get the "Fvck-it's". You know - "This is still a little bit rough - ahhh, fvck it."

One thing I'm glad is that my car doesn't have any rust, but even still it needs considerable body work before the paint job. You'd be surprised how many door dings, nicks, ses and scratches you'll find when you go over your 20 year old car inch by inch. I've even found a few on the roof, and there's one on the trunk lid where the original owner must have tied to close the trunk on something that was too big - the dent points outward...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
I actually like body work, and am doing it myself on the bird, and my cougar.  The sanding is a bitch, but a D/A sander makes short work of knocking down the filler.  Blocking it out is the worst part.

Reply #6
That is where I'm aat block sanding. I've done stripped it down and done all the little dents and dings and those damm pin holes that always seem to happen. I'm in the early stages of getting it set to paint. So sanding and primer and sanding and primer. Then on with the paint. Everytime I get the F&%k it's I tell myself that no matter what it is gonna look like some ole dirty nasty ASS. Keep telling myself that everyone is gonna laugh and point while rolling around on the ground. That makes me wanna "Just Keep Sanding" , "Just Keep Sanding", "Just Keep Sanding".  That finding Nemo Movie. LOL
But this way I know that is should turn out as good as the factory paint that is one the rest of the car.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #7
is this on that mn-12? or you fox?
One 88

Reply #8
This is on the MN-12 Cougar car. But the big idea is that once it is on the road then the  84 Bird gets it. This way the bird can come off the road. This way also I can get in touch with the Bodyman side of myself. LOL. That way when I do the bird it will be right and not have to do it over 2-3 times. here is a link to my cardomain this page shows the most recent pics of my work.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2583741/3

Sanding sanding it is no fun
but the end results are loved by everyone.
Sanding sanding it must be done
Because driving that beauty will be fun.
Sanding sanding it is no fun
Time to get up and get more done.

what is it with these  ryhmes that keep poping into my head.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #9
I'm doing my own bodywork.I have to remove the entire second coat of paint.Whoever painted it last before i had it didn't prep the body and paint is flaking off.I keep telling myself everyday of bodywork that I'm one day closer to a pretty painted Bird.Bodywork still sucks,though.But without it,no pretty paint.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #10
I'll tell you one good thing about doing the body work to my car: It's not a DD. I can take my time, and I don't have to do it bit by bit like I've had to do with every other ed car I've owned. The "Fvck-its" are easier to fend off when I don't have to drive the car to work the next day. Being out of the weather is a big advantage, too...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
ipsd, looks like your progressing rather nicely. Keep up the good work and keep those pics coming. 
I have devoloped the f*@#*k it attitude with my kitchen remodel project. I'm still doing that, but I'm TAKING time for my other project and working on getting those thru-floor sub-frame connectors installed. Then on to the body work :D  First up; smoothing the engine bay :D            sorry for rambling

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #12
Ramble ramble ramble. Like it makes a difference to me. Badbird do you need me to send you swift kick in the ASS e-mail to get you up and working. It'll make you butt hurt so bad you'll be thinking of things to do instead of wanting to sit down. Is that what you NEED!!! LOL. Don't say F#%K It. Then you will never get it back on track. There are only 2 times anyone should really say F*$T it and mean it. One is when stopping drinking makes sense. The other is when you are telling your lover what you are going to do to them. LOL Just had to throw that in.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

More new pics!

Reply #13
I've been out in the shop working on the cougar again. I kinda got side tracked helping a buddy with his fiero project. But here are some pics of the first coat on the fender and header panel.

Just need to get the hood panited and finish the rest and then it is time to put it back together.
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #14
Ya ipsd, the butt kickin would most likely help :D Although, I've been working on the kitchen and almost have the wiring, pluming, gas line done, just have to shut the stuff off and connect everything. I have to get that part of the kitchen done and the old sink and stuff removed by this weekend for my wife's Grad party. Thanks for the thread butt kicking :D

John

P.S.  The cars looking GOOD!!!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]