Skip to main content
Topic: What do YOU do for a living? (Read 6479 times) previous topic - next topic

What do YOU do for a living?

Reply #60
Please excuse my language but at the moment im a Pallet Bitch, i build, destroy and repair pallets all day long, sounds fun eh? But i do get a nice long drive to work every day a 44 mile drive...one way not to mention im a temp with no permanent position in sight,oh yes i also work for a meager 8.00 bucks an hour. A question for the Canadian members, how are jobs up in Canada? i have entertained    thoughts of moving up there.

Reply #61
i guess it's my turn for a boring story... i've been (starting at 16) a busboy, a cashier at kmart, a tie salesman, a pizza delivery dude, tried the air force (medical discharge in basic), went back to kmart, went back to pizza delivery (turned 19), salesman at radio shack, new car salesman for 2 years, over the road and regional truck driver for another 7 years, (turned 29 with 3 kids so no more otr driving), street sweeper for local business, city driver for ford, general construction remodling, (turned 31), started school to be an auto tech, (meanwhile) manager at sonic, manager at popeyes, and FINALLY auto technician at carmax.... i goto school from 9am to 3pm and work from 7:30pm to 6:30am monday-friday...you do the math.... i get to sleep on the weekends :sleep: .......  at least i only work on production (unsold) cars so i don't have to deal with customers......... i have no idea what i'll do when the fall comes and i have no more school.... i might take a week off from work and just sleep  ;)

OOOH!!!  I'm a Eco Hypermiler :burnout: Not bad for 79mph on the interstate 2hours a day

Reply #62
Quote from: 20th anny 5.o;133004
Please excuse my language but at the moment im a Pallet Bitch, i build, destroy and repair pallets all day long, sounds fun eh? But i do get a nice long drive to work every day a 44 mile drive...one way not to mention im a temp with no permanent position in sight,oh yes i also work for a meager 8.00 bucks an hour. A question for the Canadian members, how are jobs up in Canada? i have entertained    thoughts of moving up there.

It depends on what part of Canada you want to live in. There are jobs galore in the Dirty West, but then you have to deal with living there. You could live in the East (where God would have left his signature, had he made a big enough fountain pen) but you have to sit in line to get work, depending on what you do.

Reply #63
Worked @ a local movie theater as a "door man" ran the projectors and fixed pop corn.
  Turned 18 grad h/s and went to the USAF as an Aircraft Mechinic
spent 5 years in Norther Ca, Then moved to Dover De. to workon the largest aircraft in the "free World" C-5.
  Got out of the service moved back to Ky  worked in a ler shop  then a auto repair shop for about a year. Got on @ aluim plant as a mechnic( best pay/ less work). Got layed off after 5years.
  Bought the ler shop I own now in Sept 2000. Did lers,brakes and light auto repair. Bought a chassis dyno in the
'05  went to Fla in spring of '05 to learn how to tune EFI Fords from SCT.  Which I am still doing.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #64
iv pretty much worked at sears sence i was 18, 23 now. i went from casheer, to somebody on the floor, to a stock room person, to somebody that tests and repairs merchandise, to what now is a district maintance technician. im part of a team of about 10 that covers  all the Sears/Kmarts in the area from north east MD, north DE, south NJ, and south east PA.

besides that, i went to school for Ford from 02-04, but lost my taste for it working in a bad dealership. before that, i also worked on a tree farm, as a freezer/fridge stock guy in a dollar store that i later went on the news and helped do a report about them selling expired perishable food (company filed for bankruptsy) ,and as a  cook for Friendy's.

Reply #65
I've worked in some type of mechanical position all my life (not that long really, I'm only 23).  I started in the local town garage at age 14, doing everything from changing tires on combines (farming town) to tuning up old ford pickups.  Then while going to university I worked for a local lumber company, basically as a mechanic, but I did carpentry work and sometimes drove trucks and forklifts as the need was.  Basically my job was to maintain the fleet of approximately 50 vehicles (15 cars 30 pickups and 5 highway tractors).

When that company started having financial problems, I now work (just on a four month term) for the company that re markets the lease returns, repos, and buybacks for Ford, Gm, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, and Mitsubishi in western Canada.  I currently inspect and write up lots of reports on vehicles.  So I get to drive just about every late model car from the cobalt to the H3.   

In spring I finally graduate from university, then it will be onto something new again.

And for the person asking about job prospects in Canada..  Here in Manitoba / NW Ontario many companies are begging people to come work for them.  Sask, is also entering a period for economic prosperity too.  It also depends on what type of work you are looking for.  Educated labor is what's in demand for the most part here, including all trades, truck drivers, mechanics etc...  Living up here is would be quite a bit different from Ohio, but at least the cost of living is about the lowest you can find outside of Mexico!

Reply #66
Started working as a bagboy at a local grocery store when I was 16. Then went on to cashier and later the stock crew. Wasted 7 years of my life there until I realized that I hated it. Spent the next 2 years working at a plastic cup manufacturer. In the mean time I was going through rookie school to become a cop and worked part time as a Park Ranger at the N.C. Zoo. Got hired as a patrol officer in my local city in 1995 and been there ever since. Pay is descent, good benefits and lots of job security (crime is booming!!) just got to learn to speak better Spanish cause we've been invaded here.

Reply #67
I am a lawyer, doing mostly commercial and construction litigation.
Robert

- too many '80s Capris and mid-'70s Cougars

Reply #68
Quote from: gunkel04;132975
out here on the west coast we support Fords marketing and advertising adventures, from TV commericials, print ads, and market researches to engineering support.

Have anything to do with that retarded 'truth about trucks' dvd? :disappoin

Some of you guys have awesome jobs, i'm jealous.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #69
I've been in the HVAC industry for 28 yrs. Currently I am doing commerical A/C but trying to get into DDC for Hvac. Thats the computer control system for large buildings and plants. As soon as Kingcars graduates college I'm semi-retiring. These kids cost me a fortune!!!! They need to take care of me. Yeah right, I'm not holding my breath!!!LOL

Mr. Bill

Reply #70
Ugh...you mean I have to graduate?  .

Reply #71
I guess its my turn to post, I work in plastics and we make a wide variety of things. from road cones and barrels to port-a-potties to plastic sheds here are a few links the first one is the company I work for the others are companies that we make parts for.

http://www.westernind.com/Plastic/PLMain.htm

http://www.satelliteindustries.com/

http://www.lakesideplastics.net/

http://www.thinking-outside.com/

Reply #72
I used to be a GM mechanic. I worked on the otherside of our love for cars. But I got tired of it real quick. So now I work at a Grocery store (Dillons) and I am a Dairy manager. It doesent pay alot but I manage to live. Been trying to get to work for a ford dealer. So I say good luck to me and all of you!!
1987 T-bird SportCoupe,302,5spd,8.8,3.27s,pbr brakes,spindles,2003 rear,18inch 06 gt rims!!!!:evilgrin:
2006 Gt Mustang,3v,5spd,8.8,3.55s,GT500rims.
1990 T-bird LX,3.8,aod,loaded,stock!!
1999 Trailblazer(wifes rig)

Reply #73
Quote from: kingcars;133646
Ugh...you mean I have to graduate?  .

The sooner the better!!!!!!!!!!:beatyoass:

Mr. Bill

Work

Reply #74
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic
Welcome to AMERICA...........Learn to speak english!

To ALL my fellow Veterans........Thanks!

U. S. Army 1971 - 1974

1990 35TH Anni Super Coupe
1992 Five Speed Super Coupe
1994 4.6 LX Thunderbird
1995 4.6 LX Thundebird