Skip to main content
Topic: What do YOU do for a living? (Read 6846 times) previous topic - next topic

What do YOU do for a living?

Reply #30
after spending 14 years on 3rd shift, doing tool & die, in a shop,( that got sold ),,,it was a blessing to go into excavating! the pays not bad,,sleeping at night is awesome & i never have the same day twice.

Reply #31
8 years and going at Genesis Attachments, as the "saw-guy"  I'm the only one doing that, so my hours are anywhere from 40-80 a week.  Also do bodywork outta my garage.
1987 TC

Reply #32
I am in school full time getting my BA, then its off to law school. The wife works and ends are meeting for now, but I am looking for maybe some late night work so I can put more money into the Coug.

Reply #33
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbsoooolutly

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooothhhhhhhing.

trying to get a job.

Reply #34
Well, if the current shiznit keeps up at the restrant, so will I. I'm down to 2 days a week. Anything but Micky-d's and I'll be happy

Reply #35
I work in a small engine repair (largest in our area) and fabricating shop. I do alot of engine rebuilds in quads, snowmobiles, etc. aswell as building sawmills and trailers. I built 6 small, 4 medium, and am currently building the second and third large mills of this year and theyre basically all sold.

On the mills I do most of the cutting, drilling and some of the welding, then theyre off to powdercoating, once they come back I gotta put them all back together, line everything up and make sure it will cut straight and true.

This is our second largest mill, cuts up to a 30" wide log, has a price tag between 10-50K depending on the chosen options.

It is by far the best job i've ever had, its family owned, my boss works harder than me most of the time, and it pays great (actually just got another raise as of next payday, second one in 9 months) I get weekends and holidays off, bonuses, parts at cost, snowmobiles and bikes real cheap. There really is no downside other than not being able to play with all the toys I get to work on.

So yeah, thats my story.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #36
Cable Guy.

I was gonna go to school to be a procrastinator but I never got around to it.

Reply #37
I work that is what I do. That is if you can call what I do work. I pays the bills so it can't be that bad. I work at the counter at a auto parts chain store. Not bad easy work and lots of talking about cars.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #38
Quote from: xr7cat;132660
I am supposed to be a computer administrator once I graduate, though this year of school I have changed my mind and wanna be an auto mechanic, but just don't know how to tell the rents, that and I also deliver pizzas, and run the store on occasion.

Should be easy: Start off by telling them that every high school graduate since about 1995 went into computers so there are absolutely no job prospects in that field, then build on that by telling them that since cars have gotten so complicated there is a severe shortage of skilled technicians, and wrap it up by explaining that a good auto tech makes more than a computer administrator ever would (in my first year as a fully licensed tech I pulled in almost $60k, almost ten years ago). Then ask them to buy your tools for you :D
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #39
Science Teacher at a junior high (grades 6-8).

Last several years I have had all 6th graders, though I have one 8th grade class this year. Our science classes in junior high are "Integrated" sciences - meaning we bounce around from topic to topic throughout the year...a little bit of everything. Keeps me from getting bored.:D

This is my 13th year...all at the same school.

I get to retire in May, 2024.

Reply #40
Im a part time student at the local JuCo. Also Im an "Auto Body Technician" at the local GM dealer. Im going to Nebraska next year to a tech school for Auto Body. I know how to repaint my cars, and fix all of the body problems with them. Headlight buckets got painted yesterday, TC hood is next and maybe some flames on my DD.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

Reply #41
I'm an auto tech.  I work at the used car dealer that I bought my Grand Prix from.  It started off well enough but now it's turning into my previous job....stressful, very underpaid, and a lot of BS.  I have my State Inspection, Emission, and A/C licenses and barely pulled 20k in last year.  This year at my current rate, I'm expecting about 25k....and this is with a .75 raise and another pending raise of undetermined amount (prolly .50).  I'm heading towards a depressive state and I can't see any progess coming in the near or semi-distant future on my Cougar, which further depresses me.  So yeah....needless to say I'm not happy with my decision to pursue this career path.  It's all hype.  I have a friend who went to the same school, did just as well as I did...and now he isn't even working in the field.  He is going to school for bar tending...

The shortage of techs that they claim in all the commercials and infomercials doesn't exist here.  There isn't any work either.  The local dealers are begging the used car dealers to send up any car they think may need warranty work, recalls, and just work.  I only put up with this place because I have no where else to go...unemployment is up here and the only tech jobs are at a Goodyear store...and Goodyear is a company I will never ever ever ever work for again.

I was going to stay out of this thread because I have nothing good to say about my job...but seeing someone get tossed the very best outlook for a career deserves to know what the opposite side of the spectrum is.  I'd concider myself the best tech in my shop (fastest and least amount of mistakes/combacks but definently not the most knowledgable), yet I'm the least paid and least respected...mostly because I'm "young".  I think with knowing both the good and bad will help in making a better decision...and I've spoken my part....good luck with whatever you do.

Reply #42
I make toys geared towards collectors as well as prototyping for clients of the company. I graduated from college with a BS in Model Design. Now I am 1 of 2 model makers for this company: https://www.gentlegiantltd.com/catalog

Reply #43
Quote from: bduly;132766
I make toys geared towards collectors as well as prototyping for clients of the company. I graduated from college with a BS in Model Design. Now I am 1 of 2 model makers for this company: https://www.gentlegiantltd.com/catalog

That's awesome.  You should make a johnny the homicidal maniac figure.  I'd buy it.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #44
Night shift chassis mechanic at a rail yard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)